Re: Vim 7.4a ready for beta testing

  • Douglas Drumond
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 8, 2013

      On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 4:42 PM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

      > My current advice is - anybody who can't live with it should disable the Core Text renderer (but the speed of the default renderer may put you off).

      Even on Snow Leopard build there are some glitches here, but nothing that makes MacVim unusable (it's just on resizing). But with Core Renderer enabled it's unusable for Japanese text (Japanese characters are larger, so they pile up, but with CR disabled it does proper spacing). Since I use it for Japanese just once in a while, I left it with CR enabled for day to day programming.

      > As for not being able to enter full screen: I do not have access to a Lion machine to try on.  But to rule out problems with Douglas' build, please try running the binary I built for 10.6.  On second thought - it does not support Lion-native full screen, so that may be somewhat pointless.  Maybe try disabling native full-screen in the prefs and see if that works.

      I didn't have the fullscreen issue, so I couldn't test that.

      --
      Douglas Drumond

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 9, 2013
        On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 10:26 PM, Douglas Drumond <drumond.douglas@...> wrote:

        On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 4:42 PM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

        > My current advice is - anybody who can't live with it should disable the Core Text renderer (but the speed of the default renderer may put you off).

        Even on Snow Leopard build there are some glitches here, but nothing that makes MacVim unusable (it's just on resizing). But with Core Renderer enabled it's unusable for Japanese text (Japanese characters are larger, so they pile up, but with CR disabled it does proper spacing). Since I use it for Japanese just once in a while, I left it with CR enabled for day to day programming.

        This is news to me.  How can I reproduce this?

      • Douglas Drumond
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 9, 2013

          On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 2:28 PM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

          >> Even on Snow Leopard build there are some glitches here, but nothing that makes MacVim unusable (it's just on resizing). But with Core Renderer enabled it's unusable for Japanese text (Japanese characters are larger, so they pile up, but with CR disabled it does proper spacing). Since I use it for Japanese just once in a while, I left it with CR enabled for day to day programming.
          >

          > This is news to me.  How can I reproduce this?

          Just paste (or type) any Japanese text, such as おはようございます, and it should become like the screenshot attached (wrong.png). The last character is fine, it's where the cursor is. If I navigate over the characters, each one becomes its natural size (double size) until it finally reaches the way it's in the other screenshot (right.png). Without Core Renderer, it's already like right.png.

          To be sure it's not some plugin, I started with mvim -u NONE.

          I downloaded snapshot 66 to test, it's fine for Japanese text, even with Core Renderer enabled.

          --
          Douglas Drumond