Re: Vim 7.4a ready for beta testing

  • peiman khosravi
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 7, 2013
      I don't seem to be able to go into the full screen mode.

      (Mac OS X 10.7.5.)

      On 6 July 2013 18:34, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
      On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      Hello Vim users,

      Announcing:  Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.4a BETA

      This is the first BETA release of Vim 7.4.

      Please check that the distribution is OK.  I haven't done one for a long
      time.  Report anything that isn't right.  That includes a crash but also
      a typo in the documentation or a missing file.

      The biggest additions since 7.3:
      - A new, faster regular expression engine.
      - More than a thousand fixes and small improvements.

      Once you have installed Vim 7.4a BETA you can find details about the
      changes since Vim 7.3 with:
              :help version-7.4

      Gratitude
      ---------

      If you like Vim, please consider helping poor children in the south of
      Uganda: http://iccf-holland.org

      Where to get it
      ---------------

      The best way to obtain the latest Vim 7.4 is using Mercurial.
              cd vim
              hg update
      More information here: http://www.vim.org/mercurial.php
      The tag for this beta version is v7-4a.

      For MS-Windows most of you will want the self-installing executable:
              ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74a.exe

      Information about which files to download for what system (don't use the
      links, they are still for Vim 7.3):
              http://www.vim.org/download.php

      A list of mirror sites can be found here:
              http://www.vim.org/mirrors.php

      The files available for download:

      UNIX:
      sources + runtime files, bzip2 compressed:
              ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/unix/vim-7.4a.tar.bz2

      VARIOUS:
      help files converted to HTML:
              ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/doc/vim74ahtml.zip

      MS-WINDOWS one-size-fits-all:
      Self-installing, includes all runtime files, loads libraries dynamically:
              ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74a.exe

      MS-WINDOWS separate files:
      Runtime files:
              ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/vim74art.zip
      GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP/7:
              ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74a.zip
      GUI binary with OLE support:
              ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74aole.zip
      Console version for Windows NT/2000/XP/7:
              ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/vim74aw32.zip
      Sources for PC (with CR-LF):
              ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/vim74asrc.zip

      For debugging:
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74a.pdb
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74aole.pdb
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/vim74aw32.pdb

      Omitted in this version are:
      - The 16-bit DOS, OS/2 and Amiga versions, these are obsolete.
      - The 32-bit console version for MS-DOS/Windows 95/98
      - The 16 bit MS-Windows version

      Mailing lists

      Subject specific lists:
      Multi-byte issues: http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-multibyte
      Macintosh issues:  http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-mac

      Before you ask a question you should search the archives, someone may
      already have given the answer.

      Reporting bugs
      --------------

      Send them to <vim-dev@...>.  Please describe the problem precisely.
      All the time spent on answering mail is subtracted from the time that is
      spent on improving Vim!  Always give a reproducible example and try to
      find out which settings or other things influence the appearance of the
      bug.  Try starting without your own vimrc file: "vim -u NONE".  Try
      different machines if possible.  See ":help bugs" in Vim.  Send a patch
      if you can!

      Happy Vimming!

      Hi Vim on Mac users,

      I have uploaded a build of MacVim (snapshot 67) based on Vim 7.4a BETA:

      This build is for SNOW LEOPARD (10.6) and later versions of OS X.  (I will build a version targeted specifically for 10.8 on Monday, most likely.)

    • peiman khosravi

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 7, 2013

          On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 1:13 PM, peiman khosravi <peimankhosravi@...> wrote:

          > Also, I tried to resize the window by dragging the right edge and this happened (attached).

          I was not able to reproduce fullscreen issue here, but I could see the glitch from screenshot, although minor (parts of the window got blurry during resizing, but got back to normal when resizing stopped). Disabling core renderer in Preferences → Advanced and reopening the window made the problem go away. I have no clue on how to solve it (Björn, can you give me some pointers? [1]), I'll see what I can do.

          Douglas

          [1] http://xkcd.com/138/

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 8, 2013
            On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 10:39 PM, Douglas Drumond wrote:

            On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 1:13 PM, peiman khosravi wrote:

            > Also, I tried to resize the window by dragging the right edge and this happened (attached).

            I was not able to reproduce fullscreen issue here, but I could see the glitch from screenshot, although minor (parts of the window got blurry during resizing, but got back to normal when resizing stopped). Disabling core renderer in Preferences → Advanced and reopening the window made the problem go away. I have no clue on how to solve it (Björn, can you give me some pointers? [1]), I'll see what I can do.

            I have tried very hard to avoid these types of display bugs, but unfortunately it is unavoidable without some form of double buffering which I have not (yet) implemented for the Core Text renderer due to speed (and memory) concerns.  My current advice is - anybody who can't live with it should disable the Core Text renderer (but the speed of the default renderer may put you off).

            As for not being able to enter full screen: I do not have access to a Lion machine to try on.  But to rule out problems with Douglas' build, please try running the binary I built for 10.6.  On second thought - it does not support Lion-native full screen, so that may be somewhat pointless.  Maybe try disabling native full-screen in the prefs and see if that works.

          • Douglas Drumond
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 8, 2013

              On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 4:42 PM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

              > My current advice is - anybody who can't live with it should disable the Core Text renderer (but the speed of the default renderer may put you off).

              Even on Snow Leopard build there are some glitches here, but nothing that makes MacVim unusable (it's just on resizing). But with Core Renderer enabled it's unusable for Japanese text (Japanese characters are larger, so they pile up, but with CR disabled it does proper spacing). Since I use it for Japanese just once in a while, I left it with CR enabled for day to day programming.

              > As for not being able to enter full screen: I do not have access to a Lion machine to try on.  But to rule out problems with Douglas' build, please try running the binary I built for 10.6.  On second thought - it does not support Lion-native full screen, so that may be somewhat pointless.  Maybe try disabling native full-screen in the prefs and see if that works.

              I didn't have the fullscreen issue, so I couldn't test that.

              --
              Douglas Drumond

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 9, 2013
                On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 10:26 PM, Douglas Drumond <drumond.douglas@...> wrote:

                On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 4:42 PM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

                > My current advice is - anybody who can't live with it should disable the Core Text renderer (but the speed of the default renderer may put you off).

                Even on Snow Leopard build there are some glitches here, but nothing that makes MacVim unusable (it's just on resizing). But with Core Renderer enabled it's unusable for Japanese text (Japanese characters are larger, so they pile up, but with CR disabled it does proper spacing). Since I use it for Japanese just once in a while, I left it with CR enabled for day to day programming.

                This is news to me.  How can I reproduce this?

              • Douglas Drumond
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 9, 2013

                  On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 2:28 PM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

                  >> Even on Snow Leopard build there are some glitches here, but nothing that makes MacVim unusable (it's just on resizing). But with Core Renderer enabled it's unusable for Japanese text (Japanese characters are larger, so they pile up, but with CR disabled it does proper spacing). Since I use it for Japanese just once in a while, I left it with CR enabled for day to day programming.
                  >

                  > This is news to me.  How can I reproduce this?

                  Just paste (or type) any Japanese text, such as おはようございます, and it should become like the screenshot attached (wrong.png). The last character is fine, it's where the cursor is. If I navigate over the characters, each one becomes its natural size (double size) until it finally reaches the way it's in the other screenshot (right.png). Without Core Renderer, it's already like right.png.

                  To be sure it's not some plugin, I started with mvim -u NONE.

                  I downloaded snapshot 66 to test, it's fine for Japanese text, even with Core Renderer enabled.

                  --
                  Douglas Drumond