Re: make distclean fails to remove src/config.cache

    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 23 7:13 AM
      On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 8:10 PM, <dv1445@...> wrote:
      > On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 04:02:59PM +0200, björn wrote:
      >> On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 7:46 AM, <dv1445@...> wrote:
      >> > Could it be because MacVim has TWO 'configure' files of substance, while
      >> > BramVim only has one?
      >> >
      >> > In MacVim repo:
      >> > 'configure' is just a tiny wrapper.
      >> > 'src/configure' is "meaty".
      >> > 'src/auto/configure' is even meatier (by ~175KB!!).
      >> >
      >> > In BramVim repo:
      >> > 'configure' is just a tiny wrapper.
      >> > 'src/configure' is a slightly larger wrapper.
      >> > 'src/auto/configure' is meaty, about as meaty as 'src/configure' from
      >> > MacVim.
      >> >
      >> > If, in MacVim, the meaty config script that's governing cachefile
      >> > placement is the one sitting in /src, then that would explain why it's
      >> > dropping config.cache right in /src (look at its line 914, see a
      >> > relative path).
      >> >
      >> > In BramVim, the only meaty config script is in 'src/auto', so the
      >> > corresponding line would dump config.cache in src/auto, right?
      >
      > This particular message below is not me agitating for a patch, but just
      > asking a question so I can learn more about how MacVim works.
      >
      > Why is it that MacVim has two configure scripts of substance,
      > src/configure and src/auto/configure, whereas in BramVim src/configure
      > is just a wrapper that calls src/auto/configure?
      >
      > The git logs tell me that originally MacVim's src/configure WAS just a
      > wrapper, but that it became "meaty" on Oct 18th 2007, where the commit
      > message was "Generated configure script"

      OK, I've restored the src/configure script from upstream now. Thanks
      for figuring this out and pointing it out to me. I made the mistake
      of running "autoconf" instead of "make autoconf" and that is what
      caused the problem in the first place.

      I don't want to sound ungrateful or discouraging, but unfortunately
      your posts are often so long that it makes it hard for me to get the
      point and I often don't have the energy to read all the multiple
      postings to one thread. In this case, if you had kept it to one post
      which simply said "replace src/configure with the one from upstream"
      it would have been so much easier for me to fix this. Instead I
      misunderstood what you were talking about and hence my very delayed
      reaction. My apologies for this.

      Anyway, I hope everything works as it should now and thanks once again.

    • gmn
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 23 1:56 PM
        On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 04:13:44PM +0200, björn wrote:
        > OK, I've restored the src/configure script from upstream now.

        Will test forthwith.

        BTW, you don't sound ungrateful :)

        > In this case, if you had kept it to one post which simply said
        > "replace src/configure with the one from upstream" it would have been
        > so much easier for me to fix this.

        I would certainly have done so, but not being a programmer, I didn't
        know that that is in fact the correct solution. For all I knew, there
        may have been a very good reason for there to be two different, meaty
        configure scripts.

        Therefore I tried to provide as much info as seemed relevant for
        helping you to diagnose the problem. I apologize that it was a flood.

        Best,

        -gmn

      • Steven Michalske
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 23 2:12 PM
          On Jun 23, 2013, at 1:56 PM, gmn <dv1445@...> wrote:

          > I would certainly have done so, but not being a programmer, I didn't
          > know that that is in fact the correct solution. For all I knew, there
          > may have been a very good reason for there to be two different, meaty
          > configure scripts.
          >
          > Therefore I tried to provide as much info as seemed relevant for
          > helping you to diagnose the problem. I apologize that it was a flood.

          This is often a problem of a sweet spot type. Sometimes you need a flood of info, others a quick note that there is a problem. A tip that's worked for me in the past is that you put a quick and concise summary and then the flood of details after. This way the readers don't get lost and can look up particulars if needed.

          Also, if you get a vague reply and details were spread across a thread it is helpful to send a recap email.

          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 23 3:18 PM
            On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 04:13:44PM +0200, björn wrote:
            > OK, I've restored the src/configure script from upstream now.

            Tested and works.

            Thanks again.

            -gmn