Re: make distclean fails to remove src/config.cache

  • dv1445@...
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 21, 2013
      On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 04:02:59PM +0200, björn wrote:
      > On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 7:46 AM, <dv1445@...> wrote:
      > > Could it be because MacVim has TWO 'configure' files of substance, while
      > > BramVim only has one?
      > >
      > > In MacVim repo:
      > > 'configure' is just a tiny wrapper.
      > > 'src/configure' is "meaty".
      > > 'src/auto/configure' is even meatier (by ~175KB!!).
      > >
      > > In BramVim repo:
      > > 'configure' is just a tiny wrapper.
      > > 'src/configure' is a slightly larger wrapper.
      > > 'src/auto/configure' is meaty, about as meaty as 'src/configure' from
      > > MacVim.
      > >
      > > If, in MacVim, the meaty config script that's governing cachefile
      > > placement is the one sitting in /src, then that would explain why it's
      > > dropping config.cache right in /src (look at its line 914, see a
      > > relative path).
      > >
      > > In BramVim, the only meaty config script is in 'src/auto', so the
      > > corresponding line would dump config.cache in src/auto, right?

      This particular message below is not me agitating for a patch, but just
      asking a question so I can learn more about how MacVim works.

      Why is it that MacVim has two configure scripts of substance,
      src/configure and src/auto/configure, whereas in BramVim src/configure
      is just a wrapper that calls src/auto/configure?

      The git logs tell me that originally MacVim's src/configure WAS just a
      wrapper, but that it became "meaty" on Oct 18th 2007, where the commit
      message was "Generated configure script"

      -gmn

      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 23, 2013
        On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 8:10 PM, <dv1445@...> wrote:
        > On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 04:02:59PM +0200, björn wrote:
        >> On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 7:46 AM, <dv1445@...> wrote:
        >> > Could it be because MacVim has TWO 'configure' files of substance, while
        >> > BramVim only has one?
        >> >
        >> > In MacVim repo:
        >> > 'configure' is just a tiny wrapper.
        >> > 'src/configure' is "meaty".
        >> > 'src/auto/configure' is even meatier (by ~175KB!!).
        >> >
        >> > In BramVim repo:
        >> > 'configure' is just a tiny wrapper.
        >> > 'src/configure' is a slightly larger wrapper.
        >> > 'src/auto/configure' is meaty, about as meaty as 'src/configure' from
        >> > MacVim.
        >> >
        >> > If, in MacVim, the meaty config script that's governing cachefile
        >> > placement is the one sitting in /src, then that would explain why it's
        >> > dropping config.cache right in /src (look at its line 914, see a
        >> > relative path).
        >> >
        >> > In BramVim, the only meaty config script is in 'src/auto', so the
        >> > corresponding line would dump config.cache in src/auto, right?
        >
        > This particular message below is not me agitating for a patch, but just
        > asking a question so I can learn more about how MacVim works.
        >
        > Why is it that MacVim has two configure scripts of substance,
        > src/configure and src/auto/configure, whereas in BramVim src/configure
        > is just a wrapper that calls src/auto/configure?
        >
        > The git logs tell me that originally MacVim's src/configure WAS just a
        > wrapper, but that it became "meaty" on Oct 18th 2007, where the commit
        > message was "Generated configure script"

        OK, I've restored the src/configure script from upstream now. Thanks
        for figuring this out and pointing it out to me. I made the mistake
        of running "autoconf" instead of "make autoconf" and that is what
        caused the problem in the first place.

        I don't want to sound ungrateful or discouraging, but unfortunately
        your posts are often so long that it makes it hard for me to get the
        point and I often don't have the energy to read all the multiple
        postings to one thread. In this case, if you had kept it to one post
        which simply said "replace src/configure with the one from upstream"
        it would have been so much easier for me to fix this. Instead I
        misunderstood what you were talking about and hence my very delayed
        reaction. My apologies for this.

        Anyway, I hope everything works as it should now and thanks once again.

      • gmn
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 23, 2013
          On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 04:13:44PM +0200, björn wrote:
          > OK, I've restored the src/configure script from upstream now.

          Will test forthwith.

          BTW, you don't sound ungrateful :)

          > In this case, if you had kept it to one post which simply said
          > "replace src/configure with the one from upstream" it would have been
          > so much easier for me to fix this.

          I would certainly have done so, but not being a programmer, I didn't
          know that that is in fact the correct solution. For all I knew, there
          may have been a very good reason for there to be two different, meaty
          configure scripts.

          Therefore I tried to provide as much info as seemed relevant for
          helping you to diagnose the problem. I apologize that it was a flood.

          Best,

          -gmn

        • Steven Michalske
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 23, 2013
            On Jun 23, 2013, at 1:56 PM, gmn <dv1445@...> wrote:

            > I would certainly have done so, but not being a programmer, I didn't
            > know that that is in fact the correct solution. For all I knew, there
            > may have been a very good reason for there to be two different, meaty
            > configure scripts.
            >
            > Therefore I tried to provide as much info as seemed relevant for
            > helping you to diagnose the problem. I apologize that it was a flood.

            This is often a problem of a sweet spot type. Sometimes you need a flood of info, others a quick note that there is a problem. A tip that's worked for me in the past is that you put a quick and concise summary and then the flood of details after. This way the readers don't get lost and can look up particulars if needed.

            Also, if you get a vague reply and details were spread across a thread it is helpful to send a recap email.

            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 23, 2013
              On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 04:13:44PM +0200, björn wrote:
              > OK, I've restored the src/configure script from upstream now.

              Tested and works.

              Thanks again.

              -gmn