Re: make distclean fails to remove src/config.cache

  • dv1445@...
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 20, 2013
      On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 09:27:17PM +0200, björn wrote:
      > On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 9:55 PM, wrote:
      > >>
      > >> That is to say, *if* it is easy to do so, then the relevant scripts
      > >> ought to be changed so that blah blah.
      > >>
      > >> (Or perhaps 'make distclean' can be patched to also obliterate any
      > >> existing src/config.cache)
      > >>
      > >> If it isn't an easy thing, just forget it. I can deal with it.
      > >
      > > Hi Björn,
      > >
      > > Although I discovered how to trigger the issue, I don't know what causes
      > > it. I don't know enough about makefiles or confiure scripts to wade
      > > through the difference between those of MacVim and those of BramVim. So
      > > I propose modifying, in MacVim, src/Makefile according the the below
      > > diff.
      > >
      > > The line two lines above my added one is doing almost nothing at all,
      > > because the files auto/config.{status,log,cache} are never created by
      > > MacVim as far as I can see:
      > >
      > > ** If I call './configure -C', they get put in src/, which is what
      > > generated this bug-reporting thread.
      > >
      > > ** If on the other hand I call plain './configure', then no caches are
      > > created, so there's nothing for that line of the Makefile to destroy.
      > >
      > > ** If I call './configure --cache-file=src/auto/config.cache (which
      > > './configure --help tells me is kosher), then no config.cache is put
      > > *anywhere*, and config.{log,status} are put straight into src/ where
      > > the latter won't get wiped out by 'make distclean'.
      > >
      > > Therefore I propose leaving that line in place (since it's doing no
      > > harm), but adding one that allows 'make distclean' to destroy
      > > 'src/config.{cache,log,status}'. I tested this locally and it seems to
      > > work. Thus 'make distclean' will destroy the things it's supposed to
      > > destroy.
      >
      > I think it would be better to figure out why there is a difference
      > instead of blindly patching. I don't know what causes it though, so I
      > can't help.

      Hi Björn,

      I think I've found out why MacVim is putting config.cache (et. al.) in
      the "wrong" place (which is itself why 'make distclean' isn't seeking
      and destroying those files).

      Could it be because MacVim has TWO 'configure' files of substance, while
      BramVim only has one?

      In MacVim repo:
      'configure' is just a tiny wrapper.
      'src/configure' is "meaty".
      'src/auto/configure' is even meatier (by ~175KB!!).

      In BramVim repo:
      'configure' is just a tiny wrapper.
      'src/configure' is a slightly larger wrapper.
      'src/auto/configure' is meaty, about as meaty as 'src/configure' from
      MacVim.

      If, in MacVim, the meaty config script that's governing cachefile
      placement is the one sitting in /src, then that would explain why it's
      dropping config.cache right in /src (look at its line 914, see a
      relative path).

      In BramVim, the only meaty config script is in 'src/auto', so the
      corresponding line would dump config.cache in src/auto, right?

      Of further interest: BramVim's 'src/configure' appears to be calling
      'src/auto/configure' with an explicit request that config.cache be left
      in 'src/auto'.

      If I am right that this is what's causing MacVim to put the files in a
      different place from BramVim, it seems to me that either:

      (a) one of MacVim's two meaty configure scripts (or both??) should be
      made to drop config.cache (and .log, and .status) in 'src/auto', and to
      know that that's where to read cached info from.

      Or,

      (b) the Makefile's 'make distclean' should be tweaked to find those
      files in their current location ('src/'). Of course, this needn't be
      done in exactly the way I proposed earlier.

      BTW, MacVim's 'src/configure' appears to correspond to BramVim's
      'src/auto/configure'. There are many differences, but they seem to be
      almost all tiny differences. Also, MacVim's 'src/auto/configure'
      appears to be older than 'src/configure'.

      -gmn

      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 21, 2013
        On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 7:46 AM, <dv1445@...> wrote:
> [...]
        > in 'src/auto'.
        >
        > If I am right that this is what's causing MacVim to put the files in a
        > different place from BramVim, it seems to me that either:
        >
        > (a) one of MacVim's two meaty configure scripts (or both??) should be
        > made to drop config.cache (and .log, and .status) in 'src/auto', and to
        > know that that's where to read cached info from.
        >
        > Or,
        >
        > (b) the Makefile's 'make distclean' should be tweaked to find those
        > files in their current location ('src/'). Of course, this needn't be
        > done in exactly the way I proposed earlier.
        >
        > BTW, MacVim's 'src/configure' appears to correspond to BramVim's
        > 'src/auto/configure'. There are many differences, but they seem to be
        > almost all tiny differences. Also, MacVim's 'src/auto/configure'
        > appears to be older than 'src/configure'.

        I'm sorry, but the speculation doesn't help. All I can say is that I
        have done nothing to change the way the configure script works for
        MacVim. There are a few (not many) changes in the configure.in
        script, but that's it. If you figure it out, please send me a patch,
        otherwise I can not be of much help.

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 21, 2013
          On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 04:02:59PM +0200, björn wrote:
          > On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 7:46 AM, <dv1445@...> wrote:

          > >> I think it would be better to figure out why there is a difference
          > >> instead of blindly patching. I don't know what causes it though, so I
          > >> can't help.
          > >
          > > Hi Björn,
          > >
          > > I think I've found out why MacVim is putting config.cache (et. al.) in
          > > the "wrong" place (which is itself why 'make distclean' isn't seeking
          > > and destroying those files).
          > >
          > > Could it be because MacVim has TWO 'configure' files of substance, while
          > > BramVim only has one?
          > >
          > > In MacVim repo:
          > > 'configure' is just a tiny wrapper.
          > > 'src/configure' is "meaty".
          > > 'src/auto/configure' is even meatier (by ~175KB!!).
          > >
          > > In BramVim repo:
          > > 'configure' is just a tiny wrapper.
          > > 'src/configure' is a slightly larger wrapper.
          > > 'src/auto/configure' is meaty, about as meaty as 'src/configure' from
          > > MacVim.
          > >
          > > If, in MacVim, the meaty config script that's governing cachefile
          > > placement is the one sitting in /src, then that would explain why it's
          > > dropping config.cache right in /src (look at its line 914, see a
          > > relative path).
          > >
          > > In BramVim, the only meaty config script is in 'src/auto', so the
          > > corresponding line would dump config.cache in src/auto, right?
          > >
          > > Of further interest: BramVim's 'src/configure' appears to be calling
          > > 'src/auto/configure' with an explicit request that config.cache be left
          > > in 'src/auto'.
          > >
          > > If I am right that this is what's causing MacVim to put the files in a
          > > different place from BramVim, it seems to me that either:
          > >
          > > (a) one of MacVim's two meaty configure scripts (or both??) should be
          > > made to drop config.cache (and .log, and .status) in 'src/auto', and to
          > > know that that's where to read cached info from.
          > >
          > > Or,
          > >
          > > (b) the Makefile's 'make distclean' should be tweaked to find those
          > > files in their current location ('src/'). Of course, this needn't be
          > > done in exactly the way I proposed earlier.
          > >
          > > BTW, MacVim's 'src/configure' appears to correspond to BramVim's
          > > 'src/auto/configure'. There are many differences, but they seem to be
          > > almost all tiny differences. Also, MacVim's 'src/auto/configure'
          > > appears to be older than 'src/configure'.
          >
          > I'm sorry, but the speculation doesn't help. All I can say is that I
          > have done nothing to change the way the configure script works for
          > MacVim. There are a few (not many) changes in the configure.in
          > script, but that's it. If you figure it out, please send me a patch,
          > otherwise I can not be of much help.

          The speculation is spot on, though. I have solved this, in the sense
          that I've identified the cause and how to fix it:

          MacVim puts config.{cache,log,status} in src, because src/configure is
          NOT merely a wrapper (as it is in BramVim), so there is no special
          request to src/auto/configure to put the cache in src/auto (as there is
          in BramVim). This alone clinches that the *cache* goes in src/.

          But in addition, note that src/auto/configure TRIES to put config.log in
          explicitly src/auto (line 1496 and three other places), and
          config.status *implicitly* in src/auto (via the relative path
          ./config.status in line 19814). I say "tries", because these are
          totally ignored, and in fact it's src/configure that governs the
          placement of config.{log,status}. In fact, src/auto/configure's
          declarations for where to put *all three* files are ignored, and totally
          governed by src/configure.

          To help confirm my diagnosis and work on a patch, I ran two further
          tests:

          ONE: I moved src/configure into src/auto, overwriting the configure
          script that was there. I then copied from BramVim the wrapper
          src/configure to the same spot in MacVim. Testing revealed that all of
          config.{cache,log,status} went into src/auto. MacVim even built without
          errors. This proves it's the interplay between src/configure and
          src/auto/configure that's causing the issue.

          TWO: I went into src/configure and altered line 914 to use a prefix
          'auto/', then I made the string 'config.log' take a prefix 'auto/' in
          lines 2224, 2234, 13404, and 13996, then gave the string 'config.status'
          a prefix of 'auto/' in line 12831. In other words, I told src/configure
          to put the files into src/auto. And then that's where it in fact put
          them.

          I don't know what else you want to know before a patch of some kind is
          made.

          -gmn

          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 21, 2013
            On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 04:02:59PM +0200, björn wrote:
            > On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 7:46 AM, <dv1445@...> wrote:
            > > Could it be because MacVim has TWO 'configure' files of substance, while
            > > BramVim only has one?
            > >
            > > In MacVim repo:
            > > 'configure' is just a tiny wrapper.
            > > 'src/configure' is "meaty".
            > > 'src/auto/configure' is even meatier (by ~175KB!!).
            > >
            > > In BramVim repo:
            > > 'configure' is just a tiny wrapper.
            > > 'src/configure' is a slightly larger wrapper.
            > > 'src/auto/configure' is meaty, about as meaty as 'src/configure' from
            > > MacVim.
            > >
            > > If, in MacVim, the meaty config script that's governing cachefile
            > > placement is the one sitting in /src, then that would explain why it's
            > > dropping config.cache right in /src (look at its line 914, see a
            > > relative path).
            > >
            > > In BramVim, the only meaty config script is in 'src/auto', so the
            > > corresponding line would dump config.cache in src/auto, right?

            This particular message below is not me agitating for a patch, but just
            asking a question so I can learn more about how MacVim works.

            Why is it that MacVim has two configure scripts of substance,
            src/configure and src/auto/configure, whereas in BramVim src/configure
            is just a wrapper that calls src/auto/configure?

            The git logs tell me that originally MacVim's src/configure WAS just a
            wrapper, but that it became "meaty" on Oct 18th 2007, where the commit
            message was "Generated configure script"

            -gmn

            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 23, 2013
              On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 8:10 PM, <dv1445@...> wrote:
              > On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 04:02:59PM +0200, björn wrote:
              >> On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 7:46 AM, <dv1445@...> wrote:
              >> > Could it be because MacVim has TWO 'configure' files of substance, while
              >> > BramVim only has one?
              >> >
              >> > In MacVim repo:
              >> > 'configure' is just a tiny wrapper.
              >> > 'src/configure' is "meaty".
              >> > 'src/auto/configure' is even meatier (by ~175KB!!).
              >> >
              >> > In BramVim repo:
              >> > 'configure' is just a tiny wrapper.
              >> > 'src/configure' is a slightly larger wrapper.
              >> > 'src/auto/configure' is meaty, about as meaty as 'src/configure' from
              >> > MacVim.
              >> >
              >> > If, in MacVim, the meaty config script that's governing cachefile
              >> > placement is the one sitting in /src, then that would explain why it's
              >> > dropping config.cache right in /src (look at its line 914, see a
              >> > relative path).
              >> >
              >> > In BramVim, the only meaty config script is in 'src/auto', so the
              >> > corresponding line would dump config.cache in src/auto, right?
              >
              > This particular message below is not me agitating for a patch, but just
              > asking a question so I can learn more about how MacVim works.
              >
              > Why is it that MacVim has two configure scripts of substance,
              > src/configure and src/auto/configure, whereas in BramVim src/configure
              > is just a wrapper that calls src/auto/configure?
              >
              > The git logs tell me that originally MacVim's src/configure WAS just a
              > wrapper, but that it became "meaty" on Oct 18th 2007, where the commit
              > message was "Generated configure script"

              OK, I've restored the src/configure script from upstream now. Thanks
              for figuring this out and pointing it out to me. I made the mistake
              of running "autoconf" instead of "make autoconf" and that is what
              caused the problem in the first place.

              I don't want to sound ungrateful or discouraging, but unfortunately
              your posts are often so long that it makes it hard for me to get the
              point and I often don't have the energy to read all the multiple
              postings to one thread. In this case, if you had kept it to one post
              which simply said "replace src/configure with the one from upstream"
              it would have been so much easier for me to fix this. Instead I
              misunderstood what you were talking about and hence my very delayed
              reaction. My apologies for this.

              Anyway, I hope everything works as it should now and thanks once again.

            • gmn
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 23, 2013
                On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 04:13:44PM +0200, björn wrote:
                > OK, I've restored the src/configure script from upstream now.

                Will test forthwith.

                BTW, you don't sound ungrateful :)

                > In this case, if you had kept it to one post which simply said
                > "replace src/configure with the one from upstream" it would have been
                > so much easier for me to fix this.

                I would certainly have done so, but not being a programmer, I didn't
                know that that is in fact the correct solution. For all I knew, there
                may have been a very good reason for there to be two different, meaty
                configure scripts.

                Therefore I tried to provide as much info as seemed relevant for
                helping you to diagnose the problem. I apologize that it was a flood.

                Best,

                -gmn

              • Steven Michalske
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 23, 2013
                  On Jun 23, 2013, at 1:56 PM, gmn <dv1445@...> wrote:

                  > I would certainly have done so, but not being a programmer, I didn't
                  > know that that is in fact the correct solution. For all I knew, there
                  > may have been a very good reason for there to be two different, meaty
                  > configure scripts.
                  >
                  > Therefore I tried to provide as much info as seemed relevant for
                  > helping you to diagnose the problem. I apologize that it was a flood.

                  This is often a problem of a sweet spot type. Sometimes you need a flood of info, others a quick note that there is a problem. A tip that's worked for me in the past is that you put a quick and concise summary and then the flood of details after. This way the readers don't get lost and can look up particulars if needed.

                  Also, if you get a vague reply and details were spread across a thread it is helpful to send a recap email.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 23, 2013
                    On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 04:13:44PM +0200, björn wrote:
                    > OK, I've restored the src/configure script from upstream now.

                    Tested and works.

                    Thanks again.

                    -gmn