Re: Macvim and vimrc

  • Thomas Bohn
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 13, 2013
      Should work, just put it in your home directory. Just like on Linux.

      2013/6/14 Zoltan Kiraly <zoliky@...>:
      > Hi,
      > I'm using vim on a linux computer, and I would like to use the same .vimrc with Macvim. Is it possible? Where to put the .vimrc file on OS X for MacVim?
      >
      > Thank you!
      >
      > --
      > --
      >
      > ---

    • Chris Schneider
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 13, 2013
        Your .vimrc will go in your home directory (on a mac that's /Users/username), but otherwise it's just ~ and will get picked up by macvim.

        If you need to do different configuration in your mac's .vimrc, you can do an if block like this to separate out the code.

        if has('gui_macvim')
        endif

        On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 5:39 PM, Zoltan Kiraly <zoliky@...> wrote:
        Hi,
        I'm using vim on a linux computer, and I would like to use the same .vimrc with Macvim. Is it possible? Where to put the .vimrc file on OS X for MacVim?

        Thank you!

      • Zoltan Kiraly
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 14, 2013
          Thank you. I was a bit confused because I read someting about .gvimrc.
          So, I just need to copy my .vimrc from linux to mac. Thank you!

          On Friday, June 14, 2013 3:40:36 AM UTC+3, Chris Schneider wrote:
          > Your .vimrc will go in your home directory (on a mac that's /Users/username), but otherwise it's just ~ and will get picked up by macvim.
          >

          > If you need to do different configuration in your mac's .vimrc, you can do an if block like this to separate out the code.
          >

          > if has('gui_macvim')

          > endif
          >

          > On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 5:39 PM, Zoltan Kiraly <zol...@...> wrote:
          >

          > Hi,
          >
          > I'm using vim on a linux computer, and I would like to use the same .vimrc with Macvim. Is it possible? Where to put the .vimrc file on OS X for MacVim?
          >

          > Thank you!
          >

          > --
          >
          > --

          > ---

        • Thomas Bohn
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 14, 2013
            2013/6/14 Zoltan Kiraly <zoliky@...>:
            > I was a bit confused because I read someting about .gvimrc.
            > So, I just need to copy my .vimrc from linux to mac.

            You can also use the gvimrc. I use it for options which are only
            useful for MacVim but not for Vim.

            My .gvimrc looks like this:

            set columns=100
            set lines=60
            set guioptions=cegmLt
            set guifont=Source\ Code\ Pro:h14
            set guicursor=n:blinkon0
            set transparency=10
            set background=light

            Which also can be done with an if in vimrc. I guess it is a question
            of taste how you do it. Well, some options won't work on the GTK+
            version of Vim.

            Thomas