Re: Volunteer for Snow Leopard snapshot building

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 11, 2013
      On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 4:46 AM, Douglas Drumond wrote:

      > I'm the guy building MacVim for Lion and Snow Leopard (the previous dev lost
      > access to his Snow Leopard machine). But recently I had to upgrade my Lion
      > to Mountain Lion. Now I have one machine with Snow Leopard, but I'll soon
      > upgrade it to Lion, so I won't be able to build for Snow Leopard anymore,
      > just Lion and Mountain Lion (but that one Björn already does). This Lion
      > machine will stay forever on Lion, it's the latest OS it supports, but the
      > Mountain Lion one probably will be upgraded to Maverick.
      >
      > TL;DR: count on me forever (or until my old laptop breaks) for Lion builds,
      > but soon I'll drop support for Snow Leopard.

      I actually got fed up with Mountain Lion a few weeks back and reverted
      to Snow Leopard so I can take care of that for now. Perhaps you can
      take care of (Lion &) Mavericks as it is very unlikely I'll be
      installing that any time soon. I have a Mountain Lion machine at work
      so I should be able to cover that as well.

    • Douglas Drumond
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 11, 2013

        On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 3:55 PM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

        > I actually got fed up with Mountain Lion a few weeks back and reverted
        > to Snow Leopard so I can take care of that for now.  Perhaps you can
        > take care of (Lion &) Mavericks as it is very unlikely I'll be
        > installing that any time soon.  I have a Mountain Lion machine at work
        > so I should be able to cover that as well.

        Deal. Also, if you need help with Mountain Lion, I have a Mountain Lion machine at work too. So, I'll upgrade my old notebook to Lion and when consumer version of Mavericks come out, I'll upgrade my new laptop to it (I'm no longer a registered developer). We'll have 4 versions covered.

        --
        Douglas Drumond
        eee19.com

      • Bee
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 11, 2013
          On Jun 11, 11:55 am, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
          > I actually got fed up with Mountain Lion a few weeks back and reverted
          > to Snow Leopard so I can take care of that for now.
          > Björn

          Does that mean there will be an 'official' update of MacVim for Snow
          Leopard.

          Bill

        • Eric Weir
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 14, 2013
            On Jun 11, 2013, at 2:55 PM, björn wrote:

            > I actually got fed up with Mountain Lion a few weeks back and reverted
            > to Snow Leopard...

            Didn't know that was possible. Will be getting a new MacBook Air soon. Might want to do the same myself, though I also worry about being abandoned by the company if I do.

            Eric Weir
            eeweir@...

            "The invincible shield of caring
            Is a weapon sent from the sky
            against being dead."

            - Tao Te Ching 67

          • Bee
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 14, 2013
              On Jun 11, 11:55 am, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
              > I actually got fed up with Mountain Lion a few weeks back and reverted
              > to Snow Leopard so I can take care of that for now.
              > Björn

              Björn

              I downloaded the source from github and it compiled and ran on Snow
              Leopard.

              ok, curiosity got me... surprise!

              It also compiles and runs on a PowerBook G3 Pismo 500 with 10.4.11
              (Tiger)

              Bill

            • Bee
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 14, 2013
                On Jun 14, 7:48 am, Eric Weir <eew...@...> wrote:
                > On Jun 11, 2013, at 2:55 PM, björn wrote:
                >
                > > I actually got fed up with Mountain Lion a few weeks back and reverted
                > > to Snow Leopard...
                >
                > Didn't know that was possible. Will be getting a new MacBook Air soon. Might want to do the same myself, though I also worry about being abandoned by the company if I do.

                > Eric Weir
                > eew...@...
                >
                > "The invincible shield of caring
                > Is a weapon sent from the sky
                > against being dead."
                >
                > - Tao Te Ching 67

                Eric

                Björn probably reverted an older Mac that is capable of running Snow
                Leopard. I suspect any new Mac will require Mountain Lion or better.

                Bill

              • Eric Weir
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 15, 2013
                  On Jun 14, 2013, at 11:44 AM, Bee wrote:

                  > Björn probably reverted an older Mac that is capable of running Snow
                  > Leopard. I suspect any new Mac will require Mountain Lion or better.

                  Thanks, Bill. Guess I'll have to be content with ML. Hope OS X doesn't become like iOS.

                  Eric Weir
                  Decatur, GA
                  eeweir@...

                  "A man should be in the world as though he were not in it
                  so that it will be no worse because of his life."

                  - Wendell Berry

                • Bee
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 15, 2013
                    On Jun 15, 3:24 pm, Eric Weir <eew...@...> wrote:
                    > On Jun 14, 2013, at 11:44 AM, Bee wrote:
                    >
                    > > Björn probably reverted an older Mac that is capable of running Snow
                    > > Leopard. I suspect any new Mac will require Mountain Lion or better.
                    >
                    > Thanks, Bill. Guess I'll have to be content with ML. Hope OS X doesn't become like iOS.

                    When I setup a new Mac for a client,
                    I make it look/work like Snow Leopard.
                    As the client learns about cool new features,
                    the client can change the settings.

                    OS X will become like iOS and iOS will be better.

                    Bill

                  • Eric Weir
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 15, 2013
                      On Jun 15, 2013, at 6:39 PM, Bee wrote:

                      > When I setup a new Mac for a client,
                      > I make it look/work like Snow Leopard.
                      > As the client learns about cool new features,
                      > the client can change the settings.

                      I probably shouldn't ask how to do that. Just work my way to a configuration that I'm comfortable with gradually over time. I've made a little progress already. And no need to hurry.

                      > OS X will become like iOS and iOS will be better.

                      Darn! Oh good! Hope yer right.

                      Regards,