Re: MacVim as (a kind of) Framework

  • Tae
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 10, 2013
      > Unfortunately, getting things to compile as a framework is the easy
      > part

      I agree. However, it's the first part. :)

      > how to deal with the fact that Vim is an application and not just a
      > view will require more thought (I have no good solution, and I've
      > spent some time thinking on this).

      Yes, that's true. I think that one cannot get the perfect solution—if it exists at all—at the first time. I like more the iterative approach: first get a working version—even it is crappy—collect feedback and gradually improve it. When the direction should be completely wrong, well, start over; now you know how not to do it and why. :)

      BTW: Is there a easy way to forbid certain commands, eg :e or :tabe, being sent to the Vim-backend? As far as I can see, not the complete command :e is sent to the backend, but each character separately. Well, I could discard the result coming back from the backend (and undo the command), but this would be very ugly...

      Best,
      Tae

      --
      @hataewon
      http://qvacua.com

    • Yuma Antoine Decaux
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 10, 2013
        But as a blind programmer, i'd like to know whether something can be done to the macvim framework to render it accessible. Was it done in objective c? or what programming language? I've downloaded it and the window appears just as such, with nothing inside. If it's programmed with the coco framework, there's just a few triggers to add to make it accessible to voice over screen reader users.

        If anyone hears my request, please do contact me as i am very interested to fund this project, at least for accessibility.

        Best regards,

        Yuma

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 11, 2013
          On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 9:52 AM, Yuma Antoine Decaux wrote:
          > But as a blind programmer, i'd like to know whether something can be done to the macvim framework to render it accessible. Was it done in objective c? or what programming language? I've downloaded it and the window appears just as such, with nothing inside. If it's programmed with the coco framework, there's just a few triggers to add to make it accessible to voice over screen reader users.
          >
          > If anyone hears my request, please do contact me as i am very interested to fund this project, at least for accessibility.

          I have looked in to accessibility support, but it is severely
          complicated by the fact that MacVim is a multiprocess application. I
          know that the guys working on WebKit managed to do something similar
          so that is a place to start looking for anybody interested.

          The best MacVim can offer now is that you go into Preferences and
          disable the Core Text renderer. Then you'll at least get some
          rudimentary voice over support.

        • Eric Weir
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 14, 2013
            On Jun 10, 2013, at 3:48 AM, Tae wrote:

            > I think that one cannot get the perfect solution—if it exists at all—at the first time. I like more the iterative approach: first get a working version—even it is crappy—collect feedback and gradually improve it. When the direction should be completely wrong, well, start over; now you know how not to do it and why. :)

            A little off-topic, but I really like this. Not a software developer, but it strikes me as the best way in life, in work, in organizations, in politics, etc., etc. Did anyone ever get it right the first time in anything? Failure is always an opportunity to learn---if we choose to take it.

            Thanks,
            Eric Weir
            Decatur, GA
            eeweir@...

            “A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability
            and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.”

            - Aldo Leopold