Re: 7.3.967 fails on Tiger PPC due to Python problem

  • dv1445@...
    Message 1 of 12 , May 26, 2013
      Sorry for the delay; been out of town a few days with no computer.

      björn, on 05/24/13 at 15:35:52 +0200, wrote:
      > I had a look and there are two issues:
      >
      > 1. Py_VISIT was introduced in Python v2.4, perhaps Mac OS X Tiger is
      > including an older Python version (otherwise I don't know why the linker
      > would fail)

      I don't think it's this; I have 2.7.5 installed, which MacVim prior to 7.3.965 works fine with. And the offending commit (and later ones) appear to be recognizing 2.7.5, rather than the old one built into OSX.

      -gmn

      Message 2 of 12 , May 26, 2013
        On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 2:02 AM, <dv1445@...> wrote:
        björn, on 05/24/13 at 15:35:52 +0200, wrote:
        > I had a look and there are two issues:
        >
        > 1. Py_VISIT was introduced in Python v2.4, perhaps Mac OS X Tiger is
        > including an older Python version (otherwise I don't know why the linker
        > would fail)

        I don't think it's this; I have 2.7.5 installed, which MacVim prior to 7.3.965 works fine with.  And the offending commit (and later ones) appear to be recognizing 2.7.5, rather than the old one built into OSX.

        I had a look -- Tiger ships with 2.3.x.  It would seem that you are compiling with the 2.7.x headers but linking against the 2.3.x library.  Most likely because the linker gets the "-framework Python" flag, which causes it to look at the system default version.  I've never built against a non-default Python version myself so I can't be of much help with it.

      • dv1445@...
        Message 3 of 12 , May 27, 2013
          Now that I'm back from out of town, I will very soon be able to try to build on Tiger PPC again after the recent changes.

          > > > 1. Py_VISIT was introduced in Python v2.4, perhaps Mac OS X Tiger is
          > > > including an older Python version (otherwise I don't know why the linker
          > > > would fail)
          > > I don't think it's this; I have 2.7.5 installed, which MacVim prior to
          > > 7.3.965 works fine with. And the offending commit (and later ones) appear
          > > to be recognizing 2.7.5, rather than the old one built into OSX.
          > I had a look -- Tiger ships with 2.3.x. It would seem that you are
          > compiling with the 2.7.x headers but linking against the 2.3.x library.
          > Most likely because the linker gets the "-framework Python" flag, which
          > causes it to look at the system default version. I've never built against
          > a non-default Python version myself so I can't be of much help with it.

          I'll check my build logs when I get a hold of my TigerPPC box, to see if 2.3.x is entering the picture. But if this were the case, wouldn't it really be weird that (a) everything was fine as of 7.3.806 and probably until 7.3.965, (b) everything always was and is fine with plain BramVim? I'm no programmer, but why would BramVim vs. MacVim make a difference to the linker?

          -gmn

          Message 4 of 12 , May 27, 2013
            björn, on 05/27/13 at 08:22:23 +0200, wrote:
            > On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 2:02 AM, <dv1445@...> wrote:
            >
            > > björn, on 05/24/13 at 15:35:52 +0200, wrote:
            > > > I had a look and there are two issues:
            > > >
            > > > 1. Py_VISIT was introduced in Python v2.4, perhaps Mac OS X Tiger is
            > > > including an older Python version (otherwise I don't know why the linker
            > > > would fail)
            > >
            > > I don't think it's this; I have 2.7.5 installed, which MacVim prior to
            > > 7.3.965 works fine with. And the offending commit (and later ones) appear
            > > to be recognizing 2.7.5, rather than the old one built into OSX.
            >

            > I had a look -- Tiger ships with 2.3.x. It would seem that you are
            > compiling with the 2.7.x headers but linking against the 2.3.x library.
            > Most likely because the linker gets the "-framework Python" flag, which
            > causes it to look at the system default version. I've never built against
            > a non-default Python version myself so I can't be of much help with it.

            I just pulled the latest MacVim (7.3.1020) on my Tiger PPC box. It builds! Thanks for the fix.

            I also scanned the old config.log from when it wouldn't build, and I can find no indication that 2.3.x was being picked up. Everything mentioned either /Library/frameworks/python.framework/blah-blah-2.7-blah, or said "-framework Python". The latter is also what config.log says on the working versions and on other archs too.

            -gmn