Re: 7.3.967 fails on Tiger PPC due to Python problem

  • Phil Dobbin
    Message 1 of 12 , May 23, 2013
      On 23/05/2013 04:53, dv1445@... wrote:

      > Phil Dobbin, on 05/23/13 at 01:50:52 +0100, wrote:

      >>> I forgot to mention that on Tiger PPC, BramVim 7.3.967 (and indeed 7.3.969) built fine. Just a point of comparison.
      >>
      >> I apologise for not being to help with your dilemma but I've just
      >> acquired a couple of legacy G4 PowerMacs running 10.4.11 & if there is a
      >> link to a tarball of 7.3.806 available, I would greatly appreciate
      >> having it. Snapshot 55's Python is unable to cope with a lot of my plugins.
      >
      > The best I can do is to point you towards a zipped archive of the source code for 7.3.806, which comes from Björn's repo: https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/archive/1ba220ad3da69e3607a7e36b97c66e43bca68790.zip.
      >
      > I discovered (reported in an earlier post) that it's patch 7.3.965 that introduces what the build process's error messages claim to be the offending lines. It seems really weird that BramVim would build without problem while MacVim would choke.

      Many thanks for that.

      It may be worth your while asking Bram on vim_use about this. Although,
      saying that, he may have his hands full vim of Vim 7.4 at the moment.

      Cheers,

      Phil...

      --
      currently (ab)using
      CentOS 5.9 & 6.4, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy, Spherical &

      Message 2 of 12 , May 24, 2013
        On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Phil Dobbin <phildobbin@...> wrote:
        On 23/05/2013 04:53, dv1445@... wrote:

        > Phil Dobbin, on 05/23/13 at 01:50:52 +0100, wrote:

        >>> I forgot to mention that on Tiger PPC, BramVim 7.3.967 (and indeed 7.3.969) built fine.  Just a point of comparison.
        >>
        >> I apologise for not being to help with your dilemma but I've just
        >> acquired a couple of legacy G4 PowerMacs running 10.4.11 & if there is a
        >> link to a tarball of 7.3.806 available, I would greatly appreciate
        >> having it. Snapshot 55's Python is unable to cope with a lot of my plugins.
        >
        > The best I can do is to point you towards a zipped archive of the source code for 7.3.806, which comes from Björn's repo: https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/archive/1ba220ad3da69e3607a7e36b97c66e43bca68790.zip.
        >
        > I discovered (reported in an earlier post) that it's patch 7.3.965 that introduces what the build process's error messages claim to be the offending lines.  It seems really weird that BramVim would build without problem while MacVim would choke.

        Many thanks for that.

        It may be worth your while asking Bram on vim_use about this. Although,
        saying that, he may have his hands full vim of Vim 7.4 at the moment.

        I had a look and there are two issues:

        1. Py_VISIT was introduced in Python v2.4, perhaps Mac OS X Tiger is including an older Python version (otherwise I don't know why the linker would fail)

        2. The "suggest explicit braces to avoid ambiguous ‘else’" warning is because of code like "if (cond) Py_DECREF(...)" and Py_DECREF() is a macro which expands to "if (..) ... else ...".  So the code will work as intended by there is a warning.

        So, #1 is the only serious problem.  I guess Vim no longer supports older versions of Python.  I'm not sure what the policy on being backwards compatible with older Python versions is.

      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 12 , May 24, 2013
          Björn Winckler wrote:

          > On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Phil Dobbin <phildobbin@...> wrote:

          > > 7.3.969) built fine. Just a point of comparison.

          > > plugins.
          > > >
          > > > The best I can do is to point you towards a zipped archive of the source
          > > code for 7.3.806, which comes from Björn's repo:
          > > https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/archive/1ba220ad3da69e3607a7e36b97c66e43bca68790.zip
          > > .
          > > >
          > > > I discovered (reported in an earlier post) that it's patch 7.3.965 that
          > > introduces what the build process's error messages claim to be the
          > > offending lines. It seems really weird that BramVim would build without
          > > problem while MacVim would choke.
          > >
          > > Many thanks for that.
          > >
          > > It may be worth your while asking Bram on vim_use about this. Although,
          > > saying that, he may have his hands full vim of Vim 7.4 at the moment.
          > >

          > I had a look and there are two issues:
          >
          > 1. Py_VISIT was introduced in Python v2.4, perhaps Mac OS X Tiger is
          > including an older Python version (otherwise I don't know why the linker
          > would fail)

          if_python.c contains:

          #ifndef Py_VISIT
          # define Py_VISIT(obj) visit(obj, arg)
          #endif

          Why doesn't that work?

          > 2. The "suggest explicit braces to avoid ambiguous ‘else’" warning is
          > because of code like "if (cond) Py_DECREF(...)" and Py_DECREF() is a macro
          > which expands to "if (..) ... else ...". So the code will work as intended
          > by there is a warning.

          I'll add a patch for that.

          > So, #1 is the only serious problem. I guess Vim no longer supports older
          > versions of Python. I'm not sure what the policy on being backwards
          > compatible with older Python versions is.

          We try to support Python 2.2. Should work.

          --
          CRONE: Who sent you?
          ARTHUR: The Knights Who Say GNU!

          Message 4 of 12 , May 26, 2013
            Sorry for the delay; been out of town a few days with no computer.

            björn, on 05/24/13 at 15:35:52 +0200, wrote:
            > I had a look and there are two issues:
            >
            > 1. Py_VISIT was introduced in Python v2.4, perhaps Mac OS X Tiger is
            > including an older Python version (otherwise I don't know why the linker
            > would fail)

            I don't think it's this; I have 2.7.5 installed, which MacVim prior to 7.3.965 works fine with. And the offending commit (and later ones) appear to be recognizing 2.7.5, rather than the old one built into OSX.

            -gmn

            Message 5 of 12 , May 26, 2013
              On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 2:02 AM, <dv1445@...> wrote:
              björn, on 05/24/13 at 15:35:52 +0200, wrote:
              > I had a look and there are two issues:
              >
              > 1. Py_VISIT was introduced in Python v2.4, perhaps Mac OS X Tiger is
              > including an older Python version (otherwise I don't know why the linker
              > would fail)

              I don't think it's this; I have 2.7.5 installed, which MacVim prior to 7.3.965 works fine with.  And the offending commit (and later ones) appear to be recognizing 2.7.5, rather than the old one built into OSX.

              I had a look -- Tiger ships with 2.3.x.  It would seem that you are compiling with the 2.7.x headers but linking against the 2.3.x library.  Most likely because the linker gets the "-framework Python" flag, which causes it to look at the system default version.  I've never built against a non-default Python version myself so I can't be of much help with it.

            • dv1445@...
              Message 6 of 12 , May 27, 2013
                Now that I'm back from out of town, I will very soon be able to try to build on Tiger PPC again after the recent changes.

                > > > 1. Py_VISIT was introduced in Python v2.4, perhaps Mac OS X Tiger is
                > > > including an older Python version (otherwise I don't know why the linker
                > > > would fail)
                > > I don't think it's this; I have 2.7.5 installed, which MacVim prior to
                > > 7.3.965 works fine with. And the offending commit (and later ones) appear
                > > to be recognizing 2.7.5, rather than the old one built into OSX.
                > I had a look -- Tiger ships with 2.3.x. It would seem that you are
                > compiling with the 2.7.x headers but linking against the 2.3.x library.
                > Most likely because the linker gets the "-framework Python" flag, which
                > causes it to look at the system default version. I've never built against
                > a non-default Python version myself so I can't be of much help with it.

                I'll check my build logs when I get a hold of my TigerPPC box, to see if 2.3.x is entering the picture. But if this were the case, wouldn't it really be weird that (a) everything was fine as of 7.3.806 and probably until 7.3.965, (b) everything always was and is fine with plain BramVim? I'm no programmer, but why would BramVim vs. MacVim make a difference to the linker?

                -gmn

                Message 7 of 12 , May 27, 2013
                  björn, on 05/27/13 at 08:22:23 +0200, wrote:
                  > On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 2:02 AM, <dv1445@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > björn, on 05/24/13 at 15:35:52 +0200, wrote:
                  > > > I had a look and there are two issues:
                  > > >
                  > > > 1. Py_VISIT was introduced in Python v2.4, perhaps Mac OS X Tiger is
                  > > > including an older Python version (otherwise I don't know why the linker
                  > > > would fail)
                  > >
                  > > I don't think it's this; I have 2.7.5 installed, which MacVim prior to
                  > > 7.3.965 works fine with. And the offending commit (and later ones) appear
                  > > to be recognizing 2.7.5, rather than the old one built into OSX.
                  >

                  > I had a look -- Tiger ships with 2.3.x. It would seem that you are
                  > compiling with the 2.7.x headers but linking against the 2.3.x library.
                  > Most likely because the linker gets the "-framework Python" flag, which
                  > causes it to look at the system default version. I've never built against
                  > a non-default Python version myself so I can't be of much help with it.

                  I just pulled the latest MacVim (7.3.1020) on my Tiger PPC box. It builds! Thanks for the fix.

                  I also scanned the old config.log from when it wouldn't build, and I can find no indication that 2.3.x was being picked up. Everything mentioned either /Library/frameworks/python.framework/blah-blah-2.7-blah, or said "-framework Python". The latter is also what config.log says on the working versions and on other archs too.

                  -gmn