Re: introduction + first question that will set the tone for me

  • Yuma Antoine Decaux
    Message 1 of 10 , May 22 6:23 PM
      Hi Steven,

      Sorry about that. didnt take that into account. I thought developers had their own section of some sort in small groupuscules. but just the fact that there are blind programmers out there inspires me to keep going with this degree.

      Best regards,

      Yuma

      "Light has no value without darkness"
      Mob: +61 (0)410732547
      Skype: Shainobi1

      This message is protected by article 4-210 of a certain book of laws but you don't have to worry about privacy issues if you are the intended recipient. However, if any freakish circumstance such as ip sniffing, honey pot open relay servers or an honest mistake caused a transmission error, please advise the sender and throw your laptop into a bubble bath to avoid all illicit data retention.

      On 23/05/2013, at 2:58 AM, Steven Michalske <smichalske@...> wrote:

      It's a big company and I have to meet them in the cafe.  This might take a bit of time, sorry.

      On May 22, 2013, at 2:23 AM, Yuma Antoine Decaux <jamyad7@...> wrote:

      Hi Steven,

      I was wondering if you were able to speak to your blind colleagues about their coding environment.

      Best regards,

      Yuma

      <zato1.jpg>

      "Light has no value without darkness"
      Mob: +61 (0)410732547
      Skype: Shainobi1

      This message is protected by article 4-210 of a certain book of laws but you don't have to worry about privacy issues if you are the intended recipient. However, if any freakish circumstance such as ip sniffing, honey pot open relay servers or an honest mistake caused a transmission error, please advise the sender and throw your laptop into a bubble bath to avoid all illicit data retention.

      On 20/05/2013, at 4:57 AM, Steven Michalske <smichalske@...> wrote:

      Hello,

      I have blind co-workers that program.  I will make an effort to ask them their preferred coding environment.

      Steve

      On May 18, 2013, at 11:59 PM, Yuma Antoine Decaux <jamyad7@...> wrote:

      Hi all,

      As per the subject, i have a simple question, before i go on and try to work VIM out. Is this potentially accessible to blind users?

      I've been more and more nudged towards using command line only at UNI as all GUI oriented applications are either horribly slow or unusable with a screen reader, and htough i love the simplicity and responsiveness of the command line, i need something a bit more powerful for editing python scripts and other stuff i;m currently learning.

      Any other blind VIM users out therre can give me a primer?

      Thanks, and best regards

      Yuma

      <zato1.jpg>

      Message 2 of 10 , May 22 6:24 PM

        Hi Sylvain,

        Français peut-être?

        Thanks for the suggestion. I'm checking it out now, and there was a discussion between lectures on how programmers aren't programmers if they don't know emacs.

        Cheers

        On 23/05/2013, at 7:39 AM, Sylvain Soliman <Sylvain.Soliman@...> wrote:

        * Yuma Antoine Decaux <jamyad7@...>:
        As per the subject, i have a simple question, before i go on and try to work VIM out. Is this potentially accessible to blind users?

        I've been more and more nudged towards using command line only at UNI as all GUI oriented applications are either horribly slow or unusable with a screen reader, and htough i love the simplicity and responsiveness of the command line, i need something a bit more powerful for editing python scripts and other stuff i;m currently learning.

        Ok, since I haven't seen anything really concrete in the Vim direction,
        I'll be an heretic for once and recommend you check out
        http://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/

        As far as I know, this is the best and most complete speech-oriented
        interface for a programming editor. I'm afraid there is nothing as
        complete for Vim. For instance, emacspeak can use different voices to
        simulate syntax coloring when reading code.

        I have no personal experience of it, but heard mostly good things about it
        (not always as responsive as could be, but that is not so bad).

        Best,

               Sylvain
               once an Emacs user

        --