Re: introduction + first question that will set the tone for me

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 10 , May 19 1:20 AM
      On May 19, 8:59 am, Yuma Antoine Decaux <jamy...@...> wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > As per the subject, i have a simple question, before i go on and try to work VIM out. Is this potentially accessible to blind users?
      >
      > I've been more and more nudged towards using command line only at UNI as all GUI oriented applications are either horribly slow or unusable with a screen reader, and htough i love the simplicity and responsiveness of the command line, i need something a bit more powerful for editing python scripts and other stuff i;m currently learning.
      >
      > Any other blind VIM users out therre can give me a primer?
      >
      > Thanks, and best regards
      >
      > Yuma
      [...]
      I'm not blind myself, but this is a question about Vim in general
      rather than specifically about Vim *on the Mac*. I'm redirecting it to
      the vim_use list where more people would be reading it.

    • Yuma Antoine Decaux
      Message 2 of 10 , May 19 2:05 AM
        Actually, it was mac oriented as i use a mac for vim.

        Just installed it and there's a window with a scroll bar. Nothing else. so the question is answered. hopefully the command line only version is more accomodating....

        Best regards,

        Yuma

        "Light has no value without darkness"
        Mob: +61 (0)410732547
        Skype: Shainobi1

        This message is protected by article 4-210 of a certain book of laws but you don't have to worry about privacy issues if you are the intended recipient. However, if any freakish circumstance such as ip sniffing, honey pot open relay servers or an honest mistake caused a transmission error, please advise the sender and throw your laptop into a bubble bath to avoid all illicit data retention.

        On 19/05/2013, at 6:20 PM, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

        On May 19, 8:59 am, Yuma Antoine Decaux <jamy...@gmail.com> wrote:
        Hi all,

        As per the subject, i have a simple question, before i go on and try to work VIM out. Is this potentially accessible to blind users?

        I've been more and more nudged towards using command line only at UNI as all GUI oriented applications are either horribly slow or unusable with a screen reader, and htough i love the simplicity and responsiveness of the command line, i need something a bit more powerful for editing python scripts and other stuff i;m currently learning.

        Any other blind VIM users out therre can give me a primer?

        Thanks, and best regards

        Yuma
        [...]
        I'm not blind myself, but this is a question about Vim in general
        rather than specifically about Vim *on the Mac*. I'm redirecting it to
        the vim_use list where more people would be reading it.

      • Steven Michalske

                Message 7 of 10 , May 22 2:39 PM
                  * Yuma Antoine Decaux <jamyad7@...>:
                  > As per the subject, i have a simple question, before i go on and try to work VIM out. Is this potentially accessible to blind users?
                  >
                  > I've been more and more nudged towards using command line only at UNI as all GUI oriented applications are either horribly slow or unusable with a screen reader, and htough i love the simplicity and responsiveness of the command line, i need something a bit more powerful for editing python scripts and other stuff i;m currently learning.

                  Ok, since I haven't seen anything really concrete in the Vim direction,
                  I'll be an heretic for once and recommend you check out
                  http://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/

                  As far as I know, this is the best and most complete speech-oriented
                  interface for a programming editor. I'm afraid there is nothing as
                  complete for Vim. For instance, emacspeak can use different voices to
                  simulate syntax coloring when reading code.

                  I have no personal experience of it, but heard mostly good things about it
                  (not always as responsive as could be, but that is not so bad).

                  Best,

                  Sylvain
                  once an Emacs user

                  --
                  Sylvain Soliman <Sylvain.Soliman@...> GnuPG Public Key: 0x0F53AF99
                  Page personnelle http://contraintes.inria.fr/~soliman/

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 22 6:24 PM

                      Hi Sylvain,

                      Français peut-être?

                      Thanks for the suggestion. I'm checking it out now, and there was a discussion between lectures on how programmers aren't programmers if they don't know emacs.

                      Cheers