introduction + first question that will set the tone for me

  • Yuma Antoine Decaux
    Message 1 of 10 , May 18, 2013
      Hi all,

      As per the subject, i have a simple question, before i go on and try to work VIM out. Is this potentially accessible to blind users?

      I've been more and more nudged towards using command line only at UNI as all GUI oriented applications are either horribly slow or unusable with a screen reader, and htough i love the simplicity and responsiveness of the command line, i need something a bit more powerful for editing python scripts and other stuff i;m currently learning.

      Any other blind VIM users out therre can give me a primer?

      Thanks, and best regards

      Yuma

      "Light has no value without darkness"
      Mob: +61 (0)410732547
      Skype: Shainobi1

      This message is protected by article 4-210 of a certain book of laws but you don't have to worry about privacy issues if you are the intended recipient. However, if any freakish circumstance such as ip sniffing, honey pot open relay servers or an honest mistake caused a transmission error, please advise the sender and throw your laptop into a bubble bath to avoid all illicit data retention.

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 10 , May 19, 2013
        On May 19, 8:59 am, Yuma Antoine Decaux <jamy...@...> wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > As per the subject, i have a simple question, before i go on and try to work VIM out. Is this potentially accessible to blind users?
        >
        > I've been more and more nudged towards using command line only at UNI as all GUI oriented applications are either horribly slow or unusable with a screen reader, and htough i love the simplicity and responsiveness of the command line, i need something a bit more powerful for editing python scripts and other stuff i;m currently learning.
        >
        > Any other blind VIM users out therre can give me a primer?
        >
        > Thanks, and best regards
        >
        > Yuma
        [...]
        I'm not blind myself, but this is a question about Vim in general
        rather than specifically about Vim *on the Mac*. I'm redirecting it to
        the vim_use list where more people would be reading it.

      • Yuma Antoine Decaux

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 22, 2013
                    * Yuma Antoine Decaux <jamyad7@...>:
                    > As per the subject, i have a simple question, before i go on and try to work VIM out. Is this potentially accessible to blind users?
                    >
                    > I've been more and more nudged towards using command line only at UNI as all GUI oriented applications are either horribly slow or unusable with a screen reader, and htough i love the simplicity and responsiveness of the command line, i need something a bit more powerful for editing python scripts and other stuff i;m currently learning.

                    Ok, since I haven't seen anything really concrete in the Vim direction,
                    I'll be an heretic for once and recommend you check out
                    http://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/

                    As far as I know, this is the best and most complete speech-oriented
                    interface for a programming editor. I'm afraid there is nothing as
                    complete for Vim. For instance, emacspeak can use different voices to
                    simulate syntax coloring when reading code.

                    I have no personal experience of it, but heard mostly good things about it
                    (not always as responsive as could be, but that is not so bad).

                    Best,

                    Sylvain
                    once an Emacs user

                    --
                    Sylvain Soliman <Sylvain.Soliman@...> GnuPG Public Key: 0x0F53AF99
                    Page personnelle http://contraintes.inria.fr/~soliman/

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 22, 2013

                        Hi Sylvain,

                        Français peut-être?

                        Thanks for the suggestion. I'm checking it out now, and there was a discussion between lectures on how programmers aren't programmers if they don't know emacs.

                        Cheers