Re: compiling for ipad/ios

  • GornLives
    Message 1 of 4 , May 12, 2013
      On Saturday, May 11, 2013 1:06:47 PM UTC-4, David Sanson wrote:
      > On Wednesday, May 8, 2013 1:56:57 PM UTC-5, GornLives wrote:
      >
      > > Has anyone had any luck compiling vim for the iPad (specifically a jailbroken ipad2)? I've gotten 7.3 to run on it, but I'd like Python support, which means the Cydia repo isn't going to be enough. Any tips would be appreciated!
      >

      > > ___
      >

      > I tried but failed. This repo has a more recent version of Vim than the standard Cydia repos:
      >

      > http://cydia.radare.org/
      >

      > but it does not include python support. This project looked like it might help:
      >

      > http://www.iosopendev.com/
      >

      > but I could not make it work with vim. If you succeed, please do let us know how to do it!

      Hi David,

      I've got the radare version of vim - thanks for the tip. I've been trying to compile vim on the ipad itself. There are a number of ideas about getting gcc to work on the ipad, and some claim to be successful. You might look at

      https://code.google.com/p/iphone-gcc-full/

      or

      http://gamma-level.com/iphoneos/ports/environment

      and

      http://www.89geek.com/2012/01/install-c-compiler-on-iphone-4s-gcc.html

      But I've had real trouble getting any of this to work. Only once have I been able to get Vim configured with Python properly and then had a make error. There almost always ends up being an error in the make process - usually I'm missing a library or have a header problem. I've tired of trying to figure out the issues. But I will say that I don't really know what I'm doing, and the iphone-gcc project looks promising. I'd probably attempt more but since Apple has stopped signing 6.1.2 I have no way of restoring my ipad if something goes awry. So I think I'm going to wait until ios 7 and try again.

      As much as I like Apple products I do with they were less hack resistant. In any case, best of luck should you decide to try again!