'monitor' buffer to display command result

  • Peiman Khosravi
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6 7:50 AM
      Dear all,

      I have found the script on this page useful for running terminal commands in a new buffer: http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Display_output_of_shell_commands_in_new_window. This script below opens a scratch buffer with the result of a terminal command. This is one step closer to what I am after, but not quite there yet.

      I would like to be able to perform a command on the content of the current buffer (%p). Now, I would like the result to be printed in a named buffer (automatically created in a different window/tab, or refreshed if it already exists), but without changing the focus from the current buffer. So effectively, I have a 'monitor' buffer working in the background. Something like this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNWFSIadAH8

      Is this possible?

      Many Thanks indeed and sorry for the newbie question.

      Best,
      Peiman