Re: Compiling C programs in MacVim

  • Simon Quantrill
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28 5:07 AM
      Gcc under cli but you need to install xcode first i belive

      Sent from my iPhone

      On 28 Mar 2013, at 07:51, february71 <raffay.abdul@...> wrote:

      > Hello
      >
      > I am new to programming, I have written some c files in MacVim, and have also downloaded iTerm2 but not sure how to compile and run my programs. At the moment I don't want to use Xcode or any other IDE - sort of a course requirement. I assume I will have to download gcc but not sure how to exactly go about it...any help would be appreciated.
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > feb71
      >
      > --
      > --
      >
      > ---

    • darkweasel
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28 5:35 AM
        Am 2013-03-28 07:51, schrieb february71:
        > Hello
        >
        > I am new to programming, I have written some c files in MacVim, and have also downloaded iTerm2 but not sure how to compile and run my programs. At the moment I don't want to use Xcode or any other IDE - sort of a course requirement. I assume I will have to download gcc but not sure how to exactly go about it...any help would be appreciated.
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > feb71

        Do you just not want to use Xcode as an IDE, or do you have a problem
        with installing Xcode?

        I installed GCC and LLVM/clang from within Xcode
        (Preferences-Downloads-Command Line Tools), but I don't use it for
        anything else. I believe that this is the preferred way to install these
        compilers on OS X; at least it is the one recommended by MacPorts.

        regards

      • David Henderson
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28 7:07 AM
          On 27 Mar 2013, at 23:51, february71 wrote:

          > I am new to programming, I have written some c files in MacVim, and have also downloaded iTerm2 but not sure how to compile and run my programs. At the moment I don't want to use Xcode or any other IDE - sort of a course requirement. I assume I will have to download gcc but not sure how to exactly go about it...any help would be appreciated.

          Try <https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action> where one can download just the command line tools if one is on Lion or Mountain Lion.

          David P Henderson
          --
          "A fanatic is one who redoubles his effort when he has forgotten his aim."
          -- George Santayana