Compiling C programs in MacVim

  • february71
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 27, 2013
      Hello

      I am new to programming, I have written some c files in MacVim, and have also downloaded iTerm2 but not sure how to compile and run my programs. At the moment I don't want to use Xcode or any other IDE - sort of a course requirement. I assume I will have to download gcc but not sure how to exactly go about it...any help would be appreciated.

      Cheers

      feb71

    • Simon Quantrill
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28, 2013
        Gcc under cli but you need to install xcode first i belive

        Sent from my iPhone

        On 28 Mar 2013, at 07:51, february71 <raffay.abdul@...> wrote:

        > Hello
        >
        > I am new to programming, I have written some c files in MacVim, and have also downloaded iTerm2 but not sure how to compile and run my programs. At the moment I don't want to use Xcode or any other IDE - sort of a course requirement. I assume I will have to download gcc but not sure how to exactly go about it...any help would be appreciated.
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > feb71
        >
        > --
        > --
        >
        > ---

      • darkweasel
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28, 2013
          Am 2013-03-28 07:51, schrieb february71:
          > Hello
          >
          > I am new to programming, I have written some c files in MacVim, and have also downloaded iTerm2 but not sure how to compile and run my programs. At the moment I don't want to use Xcode or any other IDE - sort of a course requirement. I assume I will have to download gcc but not sure how to exactly go about it...any help would be appreciated.
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > feb71

          Do you just not want to use Xcode as an IDE, or do you have a problem
          with installing Xcode?

          I installed GCC and LLVM/clang from within Xcode
          (Preferences-Downloads-Command Line Tools), but I don't use it for
          anything else. I believe that this is the preferred way to install these
          compilers on OS X; at least it is the one recommended by MacPorts.

          regards

        • David Henderson
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 28, 2013
            On 27 Mar 2013, at 23:51, february71 wrote:

            > I am new to programming, I have written some c files in MacVim, and have also downloaded iTerm2 but not sure how to compile and run my programs. At the moment I don't want to use Xcode or any other IDE - sort of a course requirement. I assume I will have to download gcc but not sure how to exactly go about it...any help would be appreciated.

            Try <https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action> where one can download just the command line tools if one is on Lion or Mountain Lion.

            David P Henderson
            --
            "A fanatic is one who redoubles his effort when he has forgotten his aim."
            -- George Santayana