Re: Macvim slow with "set list" and Unicode listchars

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14, 2013
      I tried creating a simple file with tabs in it but did not experience
      the slowness you mention. Can you please send me a file where the
      problem occurs for you so that I have something to test with?

      Thanks,
      Björn

      On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 11:16 PM, Kevin Burke <kevin@...> wrote:
> [...]
      > set listchars=tab:▸\ ,eol:¬
      >
      > When I open a file containing many tab characters, Macvim is extremely slow to scroll - holding down "j" yields a key repeat rate of about once per second.
      >
      > If I turn off list:
      >
      > set nolist
      >
      > Or, use a different tab listchar:
      >
      > set listchars=tab:+\ ,eol
      >
      > Scrolling suddenly becomes very fast.
      >
      > Here is information about my version:
      >
      > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Mar 4 2013 10:46:00)
      > MacOS X (unix) version
      > Included patches: 1-754
      > Compiled by kevin@...
      > Huge version with MacVim GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
      > +arabic +autocmd +balloon_eval +browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent +clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments +conceal +cryptv -cscope +cursorbind +cursorshape +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs +dnd -ebcdic +emacs_tags +eval
      > +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path +float +folding -footer +fork() +fullscreen -gettext -hangul_input +iconv +insert_expand +jumplist +keymap +langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap -lua +menu +mksession +modify_fname +mouse
      > +mouseshape +mouse_dec -mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm +mouse_netterm +mouse_sgr -mouse_sysmouse +mouse_urxvt +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -mzscheme +netbeans_intg +odbeditor +path_extra +perl +persistent_undo +postscript +printer +profile +python -python3 +quickfix
      > +reltime +rightleft +ruby +scrollbind +signs +smartindent -sniff +startuptime +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white +tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title +toolbar +transparency +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit
      > +visual +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup -X11 -xfontset +xim -xsmp -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
      > system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
      > user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
      > user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
      > system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
      > user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
      > system menu file: "$VIMRUNTIME/menu.vim"
      > fall-back for $VIM: "/Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/Resources/vim"
      > Compilation: clang -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_MACVIM -Wall -Wno-unknown-pragmas -pipe -DMACOS_X_UNIX -no-cpp-precomp -g -O2 -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1 -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Headers -D_REENTRANT=1 -D_THREAD_SAFE=1 -D
      > _DARWIN_C_SOURCE=1
      > Linking: clang -L. -L. -L/usr/local/lib -o Vim -framework Cocoa -framework Carbon -lncurses -liconv -framework Cocoa -fstack-protector -L/usr/local/lib -L/System/Library/Perl/5.12/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE -lperl -lm -lutil -lc -framework Python
      > -F/System/Library/Frameworks -framework Tcl -framework CoreFoundation -framework Ruby
      >
      > I am running on Mountain Lion. Let me know if I can do anything to help debug this issue further.

    • François-Pierre Bouchard
      Message 2 of 5 , May 29 6:11 AM
        I had the same issue with a couple of fonts (Consolas, Source Code Pro) and I got rid of the issue by disabling the Core Text Renderer in the Advanced preferences.

        On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:16:13 PM UTC-4, Kevin Burke wrote:
> [...]
        >
        > system menu file: "$VIMRUNTIME/menu.vim"
        >
        > fall-back for $VIM: "/Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/Resources/vim"
        >
        > Compilation: clang -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_MACVIM -Wall -Wno-unknown-pragmas -pipe -DMACOS_X_UNIX -no-cpp-precomp -g -O2 -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1 -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Headers -D_REENTRANT=1 -D_THREAD_SAFE=1 -D
        >
        > _DARWIN_C_SOURCE=1
        >
        > Linking: clang -L. -L. -L/usr/local/lib -o Vim -framework Cocoa -framework Carbon -lncurses -liconv -framework Cocoa -fstack-protector -L/usr/local/lib -L/System/Library/Perl/5.12/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE -lperl -lm -lutil -lc -framework Python
        >
        > -F/System/Library/Frameworks -framework Tcl -framework CoreFoundation -framework Ruby
        >

        > I am running on Mountain Lion. Let me know if I can do anything to help debug this issue further.

      • Yuma Antoine Decaux
        Message 3 of 5 , May 29 5:53 PM
          Hi all,

          For those working on the project, i wanted to know where i could start figuring out how to make vimac accessible. Considering it's a coco application, can i assume that some of the interface can be using apple's appkit framework, or any other apple framework for that matter?

          Any pointers to how i can contribute greatly appreciated.

          Best regards,

          Yuma

          "Light has no value without darkness"
          Mob: +61 (0)410732547
          Skype: Shainobi1

          This message is protected by article 4-210 of a certain book of laws but you don't have to worry about privacy issues if you are the intended recipient. However, if any freakish circumstance such as ip sniffing, honey pot open relay servers or an honest mistake caused a transmission error, please advise the sender and throw your laptop into a bubble bath to avoid all illicit data retention.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 9, 2013
            On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 11:16 PM, Kevin Burke wrote:
            > I've been investigating a problem with Unicode listchars.
            >
            > My .vimrc looks like:
            >
            > "" show line endings
            > set list
            > set listchars=tab:▸\ ,eol:¬
            >
            > When I open a file containing many tab characters, Macvim is extremely slow to scroll - holding down "j" yields a key repeat rate of about once per second.
            >
            > If I turn off list:
            >
            > set nolist
            >
            > Or, use a different tab listchar:
            >
            > set listchars=tab:+\ ,eol
            >
            > Scrolling suddenly becomes very fast.

            I have pushed a fix for this now. It was caused by a font lookup API
            call which for some reason is super-slow on Mountain Lion whereas on
            Snow Leopard it was fast. (That is also why I couldn't reproduce to
            begin with.)