Re: MacVim, remapping Alt-key as Ctrl-key

  • Chris Schneider
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 6, 2013
      OS Settings can do it for sure - go to System Preferences => Keyboard => Modifier Keys and change to your liking.

      On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 8:19 AM, bobby wankenoby <llenaelvacio@...> wrote:
      I am a MacVim user, and I would like to know if it's possible to make the Alt-Option key behave as a Ctrl key.

      Thanks for your time gentlemen.

    • bobby wankenoby
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 6, 2013
        But I don't want to change the behaviour of my Option keys for my whole OS, I
        know how to do that, and how to do it in iTerm2 too.

        What I need is to change it in MacVim, just it.

      • Chris Schneider
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 7, 2013
          I dont have any idea if you can do it at the vim level, but it looks like this tool can do key remapping per application. See that the example has excel-only mappings. Maybe play with this a bit?

          http://pqrs.org/macosx/keyremap4macbook/document-private-xml.html.en

          - Chris Schneider

          On Mar 6, 2013, at 2:42 PM, bobby wankenoby <llenaelvacio@...> wrote:

          But I don't want to change the behaviour of my Option keys for my whole OS, I
          know how to do that, and how to do it in iTerm2 too.

          What I need is to change it in MacVim, just it.

        • Aaron Cruz
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 8, 2013
            On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 4:19:59 PM UTC+1, bobby wankenoby wrote:
            > I am a MacVim user, and I would like to know if it's possible to make the Alt-Option key behave as a Ctrl key.
            >
            > Thanks for your time gentlemen.

            Here is an excerpt from my .vimrc that may get you started. Sorry not more specific, buit I don't have time for experimenting.
            Plus, this snippet is useful as well :)

            The key mappings are
            M = Cmd
            D = Option
            C = Ctrl

            """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
            " Move a line of text using ALT+[jk] or Comamnd+[jk] on mac
            nmap <M-j> mz:m+<cr>`z
            nmap <M-k> mz:m-2<cr>`z
            vmap <M-j> :m'>+<cr>`<my`>mzgv`yo`z
            vmap <M-k> :m'<-2<cr>`>my`<mzgv`yo`z

            if has("mac") || has("macunix")
            nmap <D-j> <M-j>
            nmap <D-k> <M-k>
            vmap <D-j> <M-j>
            vmap <D-k> <M-k>
            endif
            """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

          • bobby wankenoby
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 8, 2013
              Yes, I couldn't find a way of doing it in MacVim, but you are right Chris,
              KeyRemap4Macbook did the trick. It is a FANTASTIC piece of software, the
              documentation is just excellent, I recommend it to everybody in difficult
              mapping situations.
              It allows you to customize mappings for each app, in an xml file that you
              can open from inside the app. It's absolutely poka-yoke.
              This is what I wrote in private.xml, for my situation:

              <appdef>
              <appname>MacVim</appname>
              <equal>org.vim.MacVim</equal>
              </appdef>

              <item>
              <name>Change Right Option key to Control</name>
              <identifier>private.remap_rightOption_to_control</identifier>
              <only>MacVim</only>
              <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::OPTION_R, KeyCode::CONTROL_R</autogen>
              </item>

              Problem solved!