Re: Building against custom Python installs

  • Phil Dobbin
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28 12:26 PM
      On 28/02/2013 16:30, carljv@... wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I was wondering if it would be possible to add to the Build section of the Wiki (or somewhere else similarly official) instructions on how to build MacVim against non-system Python installs. Googling for this finds a lot of discussions, but much of the advice is conflicting, and none of it definitive. I've tried several different suggestions myself without success. It seems many people want to build against Homebrew versions of Python (personally, I'm trying to build against the AnacondaCE distribution; Enthought's EPD might be another candidate).
      >
      > Even if it's not possible to do this--some discussions indicate there's a bug in Python config files--that would still be good to know.

      In the past I've built against non System Pythons by passing this to
      configure:

      '--enable-pythoninterp --with-python-config-dir=/usr/lib/python2.7/config'

      replacing the above python-config-dir with the one relevant to your
      build. Just remember to leave off the trailing slash on the end of 'config'

      Cheers,

      Phil...

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2013
        On Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:26:19 PM UTC-5, Phil Dobbin wrote:
        > On 28/02/2013 16:30, carljv wrote:
        >
        > > Hi,
        >

        > > I was wondering if it would be possible to add to the Build section of the Wiki (or somewhere else similarly official) instructions on how to build MacVim against non-system Python installs. Googling for this finds a lot of discussions, but much of the advice is conflicting, and none of it definitive. I've tried several different suggestions myself without success. It seems many people want to build against Homebrew versions of Python (personally, I'm trying to build against the AnacondaCE distribution; Enthought's EPD might be another candidate).
        >

        > > Even if it's not possible to do this--some discussions indicate there's a bug in Python config files--that would still be good to know.
        >

        > In the past I've built against non System Pythons by passing this to
        >
        > configure:
        >

        > '--enable-pythoninterp --with-python-config-dir=/usr/lib/python2.7/config'
        >

        > replacing the above python-config-dir with the one relevant to your
        >
        > build. Just remember to leave off the trailing slash on the end of 'config'
        >

        > Cheers,
        >

        > Phil...

        Thanks, Phil, but I don't think this works--at least not consistently. It certainly doesn't work for me. I've compiled several ways, such as straight from the Github source and via Homebrew, always with that compiler flag set. No go. (And the custom Python is first in PATH, i.e., `which python` is the one I want to link to.)

        If you google around, you'll see lots of advice to do what you suggest, but also lots saying that doesn't work. E.g., here:

        https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/vim_mac/aE0fmxGH4p8

        Which seems to not have been responded to, but is also on SO here:

        http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7294554/vim-compiles-with-wrong-python-version-and-not-working-with-needed-version

        And it's also spurred an issue just the other week on the Homebrew github here:

        https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/issues/17908

        With some solutions talking about fudging symlinks to /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current (which I tried but still doesn't work for me--why I do that I get no Python available at all.)

        All in all, advice on this issue is all over the place, and I can't get any of it working for me. I thought it might be good to have some official instructions. They might not be foolproof, but folks could post their issues there, instead of bits of hacks and out-of-date advice and half-remembered folk-wisdom spread out all over the web.

        Thanks,
        -.

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2013
          On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 5:13 PM, <carljv@...> wrote:

          > If you google around, you'll see lots of advice to do what you suggest, but also lots saying that doesn't work. E.g., here:
          >
          > https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/vim_mac/aE0fmxGH4p8
          >
          > Which seems to not have been responded to, but is also on SO here:
          >
          > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7294554/vim-compiles-with-wrong-python-version-and-not-working-with-needed-version
          >
          > And it's also spurred an issue just the other week on the Homebrew github here:
          >
          > https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/issues/17908
          >
          > With some solutions talking about fudging symlinks to /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current (which I tried but still doesn't work for me--why I do that I get no Python available at all.)
          >
          > All in all, advice on this issue is all over the place, and I can't get any of it working for me. I thought it might be good to have some official instructions. They might not be foolproof, but folks could post their issues there, instead of bits of hacks and out-of-date advice and half-remembered folk-wisdom spread out all over the web.

          The wiki is open for anybody (with a GitHub account, I suppose) to
          edit so feel free to start a new page collecting information (but
          please try to keep it uniform with the other pages).

          I know you wanted "official" instructions, but I have no experience
          with using anything but the Python version that ships with OS X, so I
          can't really be of much help.