Re: Digest for vim_mac@googlegroups.com - 1 Message in 1 Topic

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2013
      Hello -

      > I am sorry to tell you that Jerry Wilcox has died. Please remove him
      > from your mailing lists.

      I am very sorry to hear that. I have removed the subscription.

      - Bram

      --
      SIGFUN -- signature too funny (core dumped)

    • Joel Moberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 20, 2014
        I think mvim, is just like the gvim command, or vim -g. Just use vim, if you want to start it in the terminal.

        On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 10:24 AM, <vim_mac@...> wrote:

        Group: http://groups.google.com/group/vim_mac/topics

          dv1445@... Feb 19 02:54PM -0500

          I think there's a bug in MacVim that manifests when using its GUI form
          but not when one calls it in the console. This bug doesn't affect
          BramVim either. I have never seen this until Mavericks.

          There is more than one way to reproduce it. I'm going to include at
          least two such ways because it might help shed light on the issue.

          ##################

          To reproduce, way #1:

          0. Have some file (any file) already open in a MacVim window.

          1. Navigate in the terminal to some file on your system that is owned by
          root and for which only root is allowed read-access. If you can't find
          one, do this: touch foo; sudo chown root:wheel foo; sudo chmod go-rwx
          foo.

          2. Do 'sudo -K' to make sure you shouldn't be able to read foo. Do
          'mvim -u NONE -U NONE foo', where 'foo' is that file.

          3. Expected behavior: MacVim window appears with no contents but
          '"foo" [Permission Denied]' at the bottom of the window. The MacVim
          window that was already open remains untouched.

          4. Actual behavior: MacVim instantly quits; all its windows are gone and
          the green diamond vanishes from the Dock. No opportunity to save
          unsaved documents is presented.

          5. Observation: Console.app contains the following:

          p Vim[34269]: -[MMBackend(Private) connectionDidDie:]@2315: Main connection was lost before process had a chance to terminate; preserving swap files.

          6. Observation #2: The "Expected Behavior" is exhibited by MacVim if one
          uses the console form (the Vim binary inside the app bundle, which I
          call by pointing an executable bash script at its path). It's also
          exhibited by BramVim.

          7. Observation #4: I have never observed this kind of behavior on any
          OS prior to Mavericks. I will try to follow the above reproduction
          procedures on Tiger and Leopard and Lion later tonight. I predict,
          however, that I will see the Expected Behavior. I know I've seen
          "Permission Denied" in MacVim a million times before.

          8. Observation #5: Occasionally the Expected Behavior will almost
          occur, if I keep doing step 2 over and over. By "almost" I mean that I
          get a MacVim window with "[Permission Denied]" down below, the other
          windows don't quit, but the terminal spews forth (and Console.app
          reports):

          MacVim[43957:303] Metadata.framework [Error]: void _MDItemMarkAsUsedForPath(CFStringRef): was called with a NULL path

          Quitting MacVim and starting fresh will restore the behavior of step 4.

          Step 0 is of course not necessary to generate the buggy behavior, but it
          helps for illustrative purposes.

          ##################

          To reproduce: way #2:

          0. As before.

          1. Create a symlink to a non-existent target: ln -s "fooblyfoobly
          dummy".

          2. Navigate in the terminal to the workind dir. Then do "mvim -u NONE
          -U NONE dummy".

          3. Expected behavior: New MacVim window with empty contents and '"dummy"
          [New File]' at the bottom.

          4. Actual behavior: as in step 4 above. All other observations are the
          same.

          Observation: Doing "mvim" rather than double-clicking in the Finder is
          necessary to show the bug, because otherwise the Finder will detect that
          there's no underlying file and short-circuit things before handing off
          to MacVim.

          I sure hope this has nothing to do with AppNap. I have been seeing
          strange delays in MacVim, only on Mavericks, only in GUI mode, that
          shouldn't be happening. I just can't even begin to reliably reproduce
          them for a report (which itself is some evidence that it's AppNap
          related).