Re: Can we have a File Drawer, please?

  • Bee
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 19, 2013
      On Jan 19, 2:08 am, Aaron Cruz <pferdeflei...@...> wrote:
      > > So why not just use vim in your terminal?
      >
      > The only two reasons I use macvim instead of terminal vim are
      > a) Consistent colorscheme support
      > b) System clipboard support
      >
      > If I had these two things I would love using vim in terminal. Beats having to switch between windows.

      Maybe I can help address point b).

      On osX 10.4.11 and 10.6.8 I have MacPorts' terminal vim version
      7.3.762 and it is compiled with the option: +clipboard

      Which means that the system clipboard is supported.

      Since I also use vim on Linux and Windows, I have made my .vimrc
      portable for different versions of vim, some without +clipboard
      support.

      if has("clipboard") "?vim6.2 "?tiny7.2
      vmap ,y "+y
      nmap ,p "+gP
      " ^= prepend += append
      if has("gui_running") || has("xterm_clipboard")
      silent! set clipboard^=unnamedplus
      set clipboard^=unnamed
      endif
      endif

      So...
      ,y in visual mode to copy from vim to another Mac app
      ,p in normal mode to paste from another Mac app to vim

      Using ,p I do not need to know how vim's 'paste' option is set.
      :help 'paste'

      Bill

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 2, 2013
        I don't think this branch is ready to be merged. Since @alloy (and me
        as well for that matter) has put a fair bit of work into this let me
        try to outline why.

        1. Integration: As soon as you have a nice GUI drawer people
        immediately want to start mapping keys and customizing it like they
        can with the rest of vim. Due to the fact that the drawer code lives
        in a separate process from vim this is not possible.

        2. Code quality: In order for the drawer to live in the same window
        as the text view I had to modify the view code and the stuff that I
        wrote has a lot of issues. I'll need to rewrite this code at some
        point anyway since there are problems with views not redrawing
        properly in the Core Text renderer of the master branch as well. It
        is a major undertaking.

        3. Fragmentation: Having recently been working exclusively on a Linux
        box I am reminded how wonderful it is to have vim behaving the same
        across multiple platforms. Introducing new GUI components only for
        the Mac version is a dubious proposition that I thought I could
        defend, but I am not so sure anymore.

        There are more reasons that I can't remember at this point in time,
        but I think the above three are enough to explain my standpoint.

        Please don't take this as me saying I am opposed to having GUI
        drawers. I simply think that if it should be done at all it should be
        done right. Due to #1 and #3 I really think that a proper
        implementation should be platform agnostic, but this is much harder.

        I have for a long time wanted to split MacVim into a view framework
        and an actual app. This way I could maintain MacVim as a "pure" gvim
        for Mac and anybody wishing to trick it out with drawers etc could
        simply reuse the view framework. I even started working on this last
        summer but got bitten by the "version 2.0 bug" (tried rewriting from
        scratch and ran out of time/energy).

        At the moment, if I had the time (I don't), I would like to address #2
        and at the same time bring in the smooth trackpad scrolling code that
        I demonstrated a while back.

        I'll stop there. I think the fact that we have @alloy's drawer branch
        is good news for those who wish to have a drawer. Merging it into
        master does not seem like such an important step to me. Certainly not
        compared with the issues I outlined above.

        Björn

        On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 3:54 PM, Bradford Smith <fingermark@...> wrote:
        > It would be so lovely for MacVim to have a working file drawer. I see a fork exists which tries to add this behavior: https://github.com/alloy/macvim. Why not try to merge this into the main MacVim repository?
        >
        > I already use NERD tree, but it's not quite the same.
        >
        > --

      • Chris Patti
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 22, 2013
          Hi Bradford;

          I don't personally mind NERDTree's current behavior, I always found the TextMate file drawer painful to use because you couldn't easily adjust the font size.

          Anyway, this might help.  This plugin allows you to always keep NERDTree open and some other options you might find helpful:

          https://github.com/jistr/vim-nerdtree-tabs

          Thanks,
          -Chris

          On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Bradford Smith <fingermark@...> wrote:
          It would be so lovely for MacVim to have a working file drawer.  I see a fork exists which tries to add this behavior:  https://github.com/alloy/macvim.  Why not try to merge this into the main MacVim repository?

          I already use NERD tree, but it's not quite the same.

          Christopher Patti - Geek At Large | GTalk: cpatti@... | AIM: chrisfeohpatti | P: (260) 54PATTI
          "Technology challenges art, art inspires technology." - John Lasseter, Pixar

        • Pete Schaffner
          Message 4 of 13 , May 22, 2013
            > I have for a long time wanted to split MacVim into a view framework
            >
            > and an actual app. This way I could maintain MacVim as a "pure" gvim
            >
            > for Mac and anybody wishing to trick it out with drawers etc could
            >
            > simply reuse the view framework. I even started working on this last
            >
            > summer but got bitten by the "version 2.0 bug" (tried rewriting from
            >
            > scratch and ran out of time/energy).

            Hi Björn,

            Concerning your desire to refactor and create a view framework ... have you ever considered trying to get crowd funding/support to help with the time/energy problem :) Marijn Haverbeke did just this for his [Tern project] (http://ternjs.net) and it seems to be working out quite well! I would love to see this happen, that is the only reason I am inquiring.

            Thanks for all your work on MacVim,

            -Pete