Re: Can we have a File Drawer, please?

  • Aaron Cruz
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 19, 2013
      > So why not just use vim in your terminal?
      The only two reasons I use macvim instead of terminal vim are
      a) Consistent colorscheme support
      b) System clipboard support

      If I had these two things I would love using vim in terminal. Beats having to switch between windows.

    • Bee
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 19, 2013
        On Jan 19, 2:08 am, Aaron Cruz <pferdeflei...@...> wrote:
        > > So why not just use vim in your terminal?
        >
        > The only two reasons I use macvim instead of terminal vim are
        > a) Consistent colorscheme support
        > b) System clipboard support
        >
        > If I had these two things I would love using vim in terminal. Beats having to switch between windows.

        Maybe I can help address point b).

        On osX 10.4.11 and 10.6.8 I have MacPorts' terminal vim version
        7.3.762 and it is compiled with the option: +clipboard

        Which means that the system clipboard is supported.

        Since I also use vim on Linux and Windows, I have made my .vimrc
        portable for different versions of vim, some without +clipboard
        support.

        if has("clipboard") "?vim6.2 "?tiny7.2
        vmap ,y "+y
        nmap ,p "+gP
        " ^= prepend += append
        if has("gui_running") || has("xterm_clipboard")
        silent! set clipboard^=unnamedplus
        set clipboard^=unnamed
        endif
        endif

        So...
        ,y in visual mode to copy from vim to another Mac app
        ,p in normal mode to paste from another Mac app to vim

        Using ,p I do not need to know how vim's 'paste' option is set.
        :help 'paste'

        Bill

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 2, 2013
          I don't think this branch is ready to be merged. Since @alloy (and me
          as well for that matter) has put a fair bit of work into this let me
          try to outline why.

          1. Integration: As soon as you have a nice GUI drawer people
          immediately want to start mapping keys and customizing it like they
          can with the rest of vim. Due to the fact that the drawer code lives
          in a separate process from vim this is not possible.

          2. Code quality: In order for the drawer to live in the same window
          as the text view I had to modify the view code and the stuff that I
          wrote has a lot of issues. I'll need to rewrite this code at some
          point anyway since there are problems with views not redrawing
          properly in the Core Text renderer of the master branch as well. It
          is a major undertaking.

          3. Fragmentation: Having recently been working exclusively on a Linux
          box I am reminded how wonderful it is to have vim behaving the same
          across multiple platforms. Introducing new GUI components only for
          the Mac version is a dubious proposition that I thought I could
          defend, but I am not so sure anymore.

          There are more reasons that I can't remember at this point in time,
          but I think the above three are enough to explain my standpoint.

          Please don't take this as me saying I am opposed to having GUI
          drawers. I simply think that if it should be done at all it should be
          done right. Due to #1 and #3 I really think that a proper
          implementation should be platform agnostic, but this is much harder.

          I have for a long time wanted to split MacVim into a view framework
          and an actual app. This way I could maintain MacVim as a "pure" gvim
          for Mac and anybody wishing to trick it out with drawers etc could
          simply reuse the view framework. I even started working on this last
          summer but got bitten by the "version 2.0 bug" (tried rewriting from
          scratch and ran out of time/energy).

          At the moment, if I had the time (I don't), I would like to address #2
          and at the same time bring in the smooth trackpad scrolling code that
          I demonstrated a while back.

          I'll stop there. I think the fact that we have @alloy's drawer branch
          is good news for those who wish to have a drawer. Merging it into
          master does not seem like such an important step to me. Certainly not
          compared with the issues I outlined above.

          Björn

          On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 3:54 PM, Bradford Smith <fingermark@...> wrote:
          > It would be so lovely for MacVim to have a working file drawer. I see a fork exists which tries to add this behavior: https://github.com/alloy/macvim. Why not try to merge this into the main MacVim repository?
          >
          > I already use NERD tree, but it's not quite the same.
          >
          > --

        • Chris Patti
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 22, 2013
            Hi Bradford;

            I don't personally mind NERDTree's current behavior, I always found the TextMate file drawer painful to use because you couldn't easily adjust the font size.

            Anyway, this might help.  This plugin allows you to always keep NERDTree open and some other options you might find helpful:

            https://github.com/jistr/vim-nerdtree-tabs

            Thanks,
            -Chris

            On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Bradford Smith <fingermark@...> wrote:
            It would be so lovely for MacVim to have a working file drawer.  I see a fork exists which tries to add this behavior:  https://github.com/alloy/macvim.  Why not try to merge this into the main MacVim repository?

            I already use NERD tree, but it's not quite the same.

            Christopher Patti - Geek At Large | GTalk: cpatti@... | AIM: chrisfeohpatti | P: (260) 54PATTI
            "Technology challenges art, art inspires technology." - John Lasseter, Pixar

          • Pete Schaffner
            Message 5 of 13 , May 22, 2013
              > I have for a long time wanted to split MacVim into a view framework
              >
              > and an actual app. This way I could maintain MacVim as a "pure" gvim
              >
              > for Mac and anybody wishing to trick it out with drawers etc could
              >
              > simply reuse the view framework. I even started working on this last
              >
              > summer but got bitten by the "version 2.0 bug" (tried rewriting from
              >
              > scratch and ran out of time/energy).

              Hi Björn,

              Concerning your desire to refactor and create a view framework ... have you ever considered trying to get crowd funding/support to help with the time/energy problem :) Marijn Haverbeke did just this for his [Tern project] (http://ternjs.net) and it seems to be working out quite well! I would love to see this happen, that is the only reason I am inquiring.

              Thanks for all your work on MacVim,

              -Pete