Can we have a File Drawer, please?

  • Bradford Smith
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 15, 2013
      It would be so lovely for MacVim to have a working file drawer. I see a fork exists which tries to add this behavior: https://github.com/alloy/macvim. Why not try to merge this into the main MacVim repository?

      I already use NERD tree, but it's not quite the same.

    • Andrew Stewart
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 16, 2013
        On 15 Jan 2013, at 15:54, Bradford Smith wrote:
        > It would be so lovely for MacVim to have a working file drawer.

        I disagree: I don't want a working file drawer. Also MacVim is Vim and Vim doesn't have a built-in file drawer so MacVim shouldn't either.

        Just my opinion...

        Yours,
        Andrew Stewart

      • Niels Kobschätzki
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 16, 2013
          On 16.01.2013, at 10:19, Andrew Stewart <boss@...> wrote:

          > On 15 Jan 2013, at 15:54, Bradford Smith wrote:
          >> It would be so lovely for MacVim to have a working file drawer.
          >
          > I disagree: I don't want a working file drawer. Also MacVim is Vim and Vim doesn't have a built-in file drawer so MacVim shouldn't either.

          MacVim is a GUI-version of vim for better integration into the OS. Therefore a file-drawer would be nice.

          > Just my opinion...

          And that's just mine…

          Niels

        • Aaron Cruz
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 16, 2013
            There is a branch of macvim on github by alloy. I don't know how up to date it is with macvim master (last commit 2 months ago).
            Here is a link to some screenshots (and the repo)
            https://github.com/alloy/macvim/wiki/Screenshots
            bussi,
            aaron

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 17, 2013
              On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 6:46:06 PM UTC-5, Aaron Cruz wrote:
              > There is a branch of macvim on github by alloy. I don't know how up to date it is with macvim master (last commit 2 months ago).
              > Here is a link to some screenshots (and the repo)
              > https://github.com/alloy/macvim/wiki/Screenshots
              > bussi,
              > aaron

              Yeah, I'm looking to see why we can't merge this into the main MacVim repository.

            • Aaron Cruz
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 17, 2013
                Oops. I should have actually read your first post.
                Sorry,
                aaron

                On Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:29:18 PM UTC+1, Bradford Smith wrote:
                > On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 6:46:06 PM UTC-5, Aaron Cruz wrote:
                > > There is a branch of macvim on github by alloy. I don't know how up to date it is with macvim master (last commit 2 months ago).
                > > Here is a link to some screenshots (and the repo)
                > > https://github.com/alloy/macvim/wiki/Screenshots
                > > bussi,
                > > aaron
                >
                > Yeah, I'm looking to see why we can't merge this into the main MacVim repository.

              • Chris Schneider
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 17, 2013
                  I disagree with merging any osx-native file drawer into MacVim.  I'm not sure why a plain vim plugin like nerdtree doesn't do exactly what you want?

                  Beyond that, I don't think adding a bunch of extra code to MacVim is good. I want it to be a fairly thin, error free wrapper that hoists a command line app to be a proper windowed app.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 18, 2013
                    On Thursday, January 17, 2013 12:31:53 PM UTC-5, Chris Schneider wrote:
                    > I disagree with merging any osx-native file drawer into MacVim.  I'm not sure why a plain vim plugin like nerdtree doesn't do exactly what you want?

                    For one, the drawer persists across all buffers and tabs; whereas, if I have nerdtree up and press t, it will open up a new tab, but nerdtree won't be up in that new tab. I can have a script that will always keep nerdtree up, but that's not the desirable behavior.

                    > Beyond that, I don't think adding a bunch of extra code to MacVim is good. I want it to be a fairly thin, error free wrapper that hoists a command line app to be a proper windowed app.

                    So why not just use vim in your terminal?

                  • Aaron Cruz
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 19, 2013
                      > So why not just use vim in your terminal?
                      The only two reasons I use macvim instead of terminal vim are
                      a) Consistent colorscheme support
                      b) System clipboard support

                      If I had these two things I would love using vim in terminal. Beats having to switch between windows.

                    • Bee
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 19, 2013
                        On Jan 19, 2:08 am, Aaron Cruz <pferdeflei...@...> wrote:
                        > > So why not just use vim in your terminal?
                        >
                        > The only two reasons I use macvim instead of terminal vim are
                        > a) Consistent colorscheme support
                        > b) System clipboard support
                        >
                        > If I had these two things I would love using vim in terminal. Beats having to switch between windows.

                        Maybe I can help address point b).

                        On osX 10.4.11 and 10.6.8 I have MacPorts' terminal vim version
                        7.3.762 and it is compiled with the option: +clipboard

                        Which means that the system clipboard is supported.

                        Since I also use vim on Linux and Windows, I have made my .vimrc
                        portable for different versions of vim, some without +clipboard
                        support.

                        if has("clipboard") "?vim6.2 "?tiny7.2
                        vmap ,y "+y
                        nmap ,p "+gP
                        " ^= prepend += append
                        if has("gui_running") || has("xterm_clipboard")
                        silent! set clipboard^=unnamedplus
                        set clipboard^=unnamed
                        endif
                        endif

                        So...
                        ,y in visual mode to copy from vim to another Mac app
                        ,p in normal mode to paste from another Mac app to vim

                        Using ,p I do not need to know how vim's 'paste' option is set.
                        :help 'paste'

                        Bill

                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 2 6:37 AM
                          I don't think this branch is ready to be merged. Since @alloy (and me
                          as well for that matter) has put a fair bit of work into this let me
                          try to outline why.

                          1. Integration: As soon as you have a nice GUI drawer people
                          immediately want to start mapping keys and customizing it like they
                          can with the rest of vim. Due to the fact that the drawer code lives
                          in a separate process from vim this is not possible.

                          2. Code quality: In order for the drawer to live in the same window
                          as the text view I had to modify the view code and the stuff that I
                          wrote has a lot of issues. I'll need to rewrite this code at some
                          point anyway since there are problems with views not redrawing
                          properly in the Core Text renderer of the master branch as well. It
                          is a major undertaking.

                          3. Fragmentation: Having recently been working exclusively on a Linux
                          box I am reminded how wonderful it is to have vim behaving the same
                          across multiple platforms. Introducing new GUI components only for
                          the Mac version is a dubious proposition that I thought I could
                          defend, but I am not so sure anymore.

                          There are more reasons that I can't remember at this point in time,
                          but I think the above three are enough to explain my standpoint.

                          Please don't take this as me saying I am opposed to having GUI
                          drawers. I simply think that if it should be done at all it should be
                          done right. Due to #1 and #3 I really think that a proper
                          implementation should be platform agnostic, but this is much harder.

                          I have for a long time wanted to split MacVim into a view framework
                          and an actual app. This way I could maintain MacVim as a "pure" gvim
                          for Mac and anybody wishing to trick it out with drawers etc could
                          simply reuse the view framework. I even started working on this last
                          summer but got bitten by the "version 2.0 bug" (tried rewriting from
                          scratch and ran out of time/energy).

                          At the moment, if I had the time (I don't), I would like to address #2
                          and at the same time bring in the smooth trackpad scrolling code that
                          I demonstrated a while back.

                          I'll stop there. I think the fact that we have @alloy's drawer branch
                          is good news for those who wish to have a drawer. Merging it into
                          master does not seem like such an important step to me. Certainly not
                          compared with the issues I outlined above.

                          Björn

                          On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 3:54 PM, Bradford Smith <fingermark@...> wrote:
                          > It would be so lovely for MacVim to have a working file drawer. I see a fork exists which tries to add this behavior: https://github.com/alloy/macvim. Why not try to merge this into the main MacVim repository?
                          >
                          > I already use NERD tree, but it's not quite the same.
                          >
                          > --

                        • Chris Patti
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 22 2:15 PM
                            Hi Bradford;

                            I don't personally mind NERDTree's current behavior, I always found the TextMate file drawer painful to use because you couldn't easily adjust the font size.

                            Anyway, this might help.  This plugin allows you to always keep NERDTree open and some other options you might find helpful:

                            https://github.com/jistr/vim-nerdtree-tabs

                            Thanks,
                            -Chris

                            On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Bradford Smith <fingermark@...> wrote:
                            It would be so lovely for MacVim to have a working file drawer.  I see a fork exists which tries to add this behavior:  https://github.com/alloy/macvim.  Why not try to merge this into the main MacVim repository?

                            I already use NERD tree, but it's not quite the same.

                            Christopher Patti - Geek At Large | GTalk: cpatti@... | AIM: chrisfeohpatti | P: (260) 54PATTI
                            "Technology challenges art, art inspires technology." - John Lasseter, Pixar

                          • Pete Schaffner
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 22, 2013
                              > I have for a long time wanted to split MacVim into a view framework
                              >
                              > and an actual app. This way I could maintain MacVim as a "pure" gvim
                              >
                              > for Mac and anybody wishing to trick it out with drawers etc could
                              >
                              > simply reuse the view framework. I even started working on this last
                              >
                              > summer but got bitten by the "version 2.0 bug" (tried rewriting from
                              >
                              > scratch and ran out of time/energy).

                              Hi Björn,

                              Concerning your desire to refactor and create a view framework ... have you ever considered trying to get crowd funding/support to help with the time/energy problem :) Marijn Haverbeke did just this for his [Tern project] (http://ternjs.net) and it seems to be working out quite well! I would love to see this happen, that is the only reason I am inquiring.

                              Thanks for all your work on MacVim,

                              -Pete