Re: Kernel Panics in MacVim

  • Louis Guillaume
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 7, 2013
      On Saturday, December 29, 2012 9:19:07 PM UTC-5, Jang-hwan Kim wrote:
      > On Monday, December 24, 2012 2:03:41 PM UTC+9, Steve Matney wrote:
      > > Has anybody been seeing pretty consistent kernel panics in MacVim? I just experienced my third in three days and second today.
      > >
      > > I just installed the latest snapshot, so we'll see if anything's changed to fix the problem, but I thought I'd throw this question out there to see if anyone else was having the same problem.
      > >
      > > Thanks everybody!
      >

      > Perhaps you turned on the 'tmux-MacOSX-pasteboard' program?
      >

      > I also had this issue, after I upgraded from Snow Leopard(10.6) to Mountain Lion(10.8).
      > Like you, I had nearly one panic a day. The kernel panic log showed: "negative open count"
      > Upgrading/Compiling MacVim did not solve the issue. I was using 7.3 before upgrading the OS.
      >
      > I recalled that I was using the 'tmux-MacOSX-pasteboard' program before upgrading to Mountain Lion.
      >
      > https://github.com/ChrisJohnsen/tmux-MacOSX-pasteboard
      >
      > I wasn't sure it had anything to do with it, but at least it was something that was interacting with the lower level and Vim, so I thought it was worth a try.
      > I decided to turn off that program, and see how well it goes along.
      > That was early November... and I haven't met any crashes since then.

      I've been having this same issue. Usually after switching to MacVim after waking the machine up, or after it's been idle for a long time, then doing some action, like closing a window, we have a panic.

      But I do not use and never have installed tmux-MacOSX-pasteboard...

      If someone's looking into this, please let me know if/how I can provide more info...

      Louis

    • Steven Michalske
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 7, 2013
        What do the kernel panic logs say?

      • richard@...
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2013
          I've started seeing this problem too. Once last night, and then again just now.

          When it happened just now, I was calling an external command 'processing-java' from Vim, to compile and display the Processing PDE file I was editing. The command ran and exited successfully, leaving Vim with a 'Press ENTER or type command to continue' message. When I pressed enter, the machine panicked.

          The panic report has the same 'negative open count' message mentioned above.

          I'm using MacVim 7.3 (53) on OS X 10.8.2

          On Monday, January 7, 2013 5:57:02 PM UTC, hardkrash wrote:
          > What do the kernel panic logs say?

          My kernel panic log is available from the URL below. Apologies for a dropbox link, but file attachments are broken for me in Google Groups. The log has the same 'negative open count' message mentioned above.

          http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2399817/Kernel_2013-02-03-134702_snowden.panic.gz

          --
          Richard Gray