Re: Vim app for iPad

  • Bee
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 5, 2013
      On Jan 5, 1:40 pm, Eric Weir <eew...@...> wrote:
      > When I select Vim from the apps set up for sharing on iTunes,
      > click on the add button and select a file on the MacBook, and
      > then click on the Save to... button, Finder does not show the
      > iPad as a connected device. I don't see any way to navigate to
      > it.

      You will need to make a copy of your '.vimrc',
      re-name it 'v', and save it to the desktop.

      You need this step because the Mac file open dialog
      will not see the .vimrc file because it is a unix hidden file.

      When you get it on the ios device you will need to
      re-name it back to '.vimrc'.

      Now:
      + connect ios device to the Mac with usb
      + open iTunes
      + click on the ios device mounting icon
      + at the bottom click the vim icon
      + click the Add... button, you will NOT use 'Save to...' button
      + use the file open dialog to browse to your 'v' file
      + select it and click Open

      The 'v' file will show in the list above the Add... button and
      it has been transferred to the ios device.

      You do not use the 'Save to...' button when transferring to the
      ios device, only when transferring from the ios device to Mac.

      Note:
      strings in '...' single quotes are to be typed LITERALLY
      but without the single quotes.

      Now for the tricky part:
      + open vim on the ios device
      + type this LITERALLY 'nm <lf> <cr>' then press return
      - that will map linefeed to carriage return
      + type ':E' then press return (note uppercase 'E')
      + you should now be browsing the file system and
      - see the 'v' file
      + use two fingers to scroll and hide keyboard
      + use one finger to select the 'v' file
      + select the 'v' file and type 'R' for Rename
      + delete the 'v' and type '.vimrc'
      - because you do not have cursor keys
      + use two fingers to scroll and hide keyboard
      + use one finger to select the '.vimrc' file
      - then press return
      + you should now be back in vim looking at your .vimrc file!
      + add 'nm <lf> <cr>' to your '.vimrc' file

      Bill

    • Eric Weir
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 14, 2013
        On Jan 4, 2013, at 11:34 AM, Bee wrote:

        > I used iTunes to put .vim .vimrc and .gvimrc on an iPhone for Vim app
        > to use. It is working quite well.

        Bill,

        I am not certain it was you, but I believe that when I responded to the above to the effect that I didn't see how to navigate on my iPad from within iTunes on my MacBook you responded with detailed instructions and the code from your .vimrc for my consideration in configuring Vim for the iPad.

        I had to give my MacBook up for repairs a week ago and just got it back this afternoon. I thought I had saved your message in a safe place---my email is IMAP, and I'm still a little vague about how operations on messages on one machine affect the other machine---and was looking forward to giving the instructions. Unfortunately, it appears between restoring my setup on my MacBook and my vagueness about IMAP the message got deleted.

        If it was you who wrote to me, and if you still have a copy of the message, I wonder if you'd be willing to resend it.

        My apologies for not being more careful.

        Thanks,
        Eric Weir
        Decatur, GA
        eeweir@...

        "You keep on learning and learning, and pretty soon you learn
        something no one has learned before." - Richard Feynman