Re: Vim app for iPad

  • Bee
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 5, 2013
      This is my .vimrc for ios vim.
      I used the short form for all settings,
      just 'cause... iPhone is small. :)
      Bill

      "23456789012345678901234567890123456789012
      se nocp nobk noswf nowrap
      se is ic scs rnu
      se ts=1 sw=1 et ai si sta
      se nf-=octal nf+=alpha
      se cb^=unnamedplus,unnamed
      se lcs+=tab:\|-
      nm F :bn!<cr>
      nm Q :ls!<cr>:b
      nm W :e! $MYVIMRC<cr>
      nm T <pageup>
      nm t <pagedown>
      "nm <space> m'<pagedown> "space space bug?
      nm <lf> <cr>
      im & <esc>
      ino <bslash> <bslash>
      vm A y`>a<space>=<space><c-r>=<c-r>"<cr>
      "set guifont=Courier:h18 ".gvimrc

    • Eric Weir
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 5, 2013
        On Jan 5, 2013, at 10:37 AM, Bee wrote:

        >> I'm curious:
        >> Are you able to see what's on the iOS device from iTunes?
        >
        > Yes. In iTunes,
        > specific apps are listed and you can transfer to/from them.
        > Many apps have DropBox support, which to me, is preferable.

        Thanks, Bee.

        When I select Vim from the apps set up for sharing on iTunes, click on the add button and select a file on the MacBook, and then click on the Save to... button, Finder does not show the iPad as a connected device. I don't see any way to navigate to it.

        If I could get a modified .vimrc on the iPad the Vim app would be a lot more useable for me.

        The iPad is connected to the MacBook by the usb cable.

        Eric Weir
        eeweir@...

        "The invincible shield of caring
        Is a weapon sent from the sky
        against being dead."

        - Tao Te Ching 67

      • Bee
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 5, 2013
          On Jan 5, 1:40 pm, Eric Weir <eew...@...> wrote:
          > When I select Vim from the apps set up for sharing on iTunes,
          > click on the add button and select a file on the MacBook, and
          > then click on the Save to... button, Finder does not show the
          > iPad as a connected device. I don't see any way to navigate to
          > it.

          You will need to make a copy of your '.vimrc',
          re-name it 'v', and save it to the desktop.

          You need this step because the Mac file open dialog
          will not see the .vimrc file because it is a unix hidden file.

          When you get it on the ios device you will need to
          re-name it back to '.vimrc'.

          Now:
          + connect ios device to the Mac with usb
          + open iTunes
          + click on the ios device mounting icon
          + at the bottom click the vim icon
          + click the Add... button, you will NOT use 'Save to...' button
          + use the file open dialog to browse to your 'v' file
          + select it and click Open

          The 'v' file will show in the list above the Add... button and
          it has been transferred to the ios device.

          You do not use the 'Save to...' button when transferring to the
          ios device, only when transferring from the ios device to Mac.

          Note:
          strings in '...' single quotes are to be typed LITERALLY
          but without the single quotes.

          Now for the tricky part:
          + open vim on the ios device
          + type this LITERALLY 'nm <lf> <cr>' then press return
          - that will map linefeed to carriage return
          + type ':E' then press return (note uppercase 'E')
          + you should now be browsing the file system and
          - see the 'v' file
          + use two fingers to scroll and hide keyboard
          + use one finger to select the 'v' file
          + select the 'v' file and type 'R' for Rename
          + delete the 'v' and type '.vimrc'
          - because you do not have cursor keys
          + use two fingers to scroll and hide keyboard
          + use one finger to select the '.vimrc' file
          - then press return
          + you should now be back in vim looking at your .vimrc file!
          + add 'nm <lf> <cr>' to your '.vimrc' file

          Bill

        • Eric Weir
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 14, 2013
            On Jan 4, 2013, at 11:34 AM, Bee wrote:

            > I used iTunes to put .vim .vimrc and .gvimrc on an iPhone for Vim app
            > to use. It is working quite well.

            Bill,

            I am not certain it was you, but I believe that when I responded to the above to the effect that I didn't see how to navigate on my iPad from within iTunes on my MacBook you responded with detailed instructions and the code from your .vimrc for my consideration in configuring Vim for the iPad.

            I had to give my MacBook up for repairs a week ago and just got it back this afternoon. I thought I had saved your message in a safe place---my email is IMAP, and I'm still a little vague about how operations on messages on one machine affect the other machine---and was looking forward to giving the instructions. Unfortunately, it appears between restoring my setup on my MacBook and my vagueness about IMAP the message got deleted.

            If it was you who wrote to me, and if you still have a copy of the message, I wonder if you'd be willing to resend it.

            My apologies for not being more careful.

            Thanks,
            Eric Weir
            Decatur, GA
            eeweir@...

            "You keep on learning and learning, and pretty soon you learn
            something no one has learned before." - Richard Feynman