Re: Kernel Panics in MacVim

  • Jang-hwan Kim
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 29, 2012
      On Monday, December 24, 2012 2:03:41 PM UTC+9, Steve Matney wrote:
      > Has anybody been seeing pretty consistent kernel panics in MacVim? I just experienced my third in three days and second today.
      >
      > I just installed the latest snapshot, so we'll see if anything's changed to fix the problem, but I thought I'd throw this question out there to see if anyone else was having the same problem.
      >
      > Thanks everybody!

      Perhaps you turned on the 'tmux-MacOSX-pasteboard' program?

      I also had this issue, after I upgraded from Snow Leopard(10.6) to Mountain Lion(10.8).
      Like you, I had nearly one panic a day. The kernel panic log showed: "negative open count"
      Upgrading/Compiling MacVim did not solve the issue. I was using 7.3 before upgrading the OS.

      I recalled that I was using the 'tmux-MacOSX-pasteboard' program before upgrading to Mountain Lion.

      https://github.com/ChrisJohnsen/tmux-MacOSX-pasteboard

      I wasn't sure it had anything to do with it, but at least it was something that was interacting with the lower level and Vim, so I thought it was worth a try.
      I decided to turn off that program, and see how well it goes along.
      That was early November... and I haven't met any crashes since then.

    • Louis Guillaume
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 7, 2013
        On Saturday, December 29, 2012 9:19:07 PM UTC-5, Jang-hwan Kim wrote:
        > On Monday, December 24, 2012 2:03:41 PM UTC+9, Steve Matney wrote:
        > > Has anybody been seeing pretty consistent kernel panics in MacVim? I just experienced my third in three days and second today.
        > >
        > > I just installed the latest snapshot, so we'll see if anything's changed to fix the problem, but I thought I'd throw this question out there to see if anyone else was having the same problem.
        > >
        > > Thanks everybody!
        >

        > Perhaps you turned on the 'tmux-MacOSX-pasteboard' program?
        >

        > I also had this issue, after I upgraded from Snow Leopard(10.6) to Mountain Lion(10.8).
        > Like you, I had nearly one panic a day. The kernel panic log showed: "negative open count"
        > Upgrading/Compiling MacVim did not solve the issue. I was using 7.3 before upgrading the OS.
        >
        > I recalled that I was using the 'tmux-MacOSX-pasteboard' program before upgrading to Mountain Lion.
        >
        > https://github.com/ChrisJohnsen/tmux-MacOSX-pasteboard
        >
        > I wasn't sure it had anything to do with it, but at least it was something that was interacting with the lower level and Vim, so I thought it was worth a try.
        > I decided to turn off that program, and see how well it goes along.
        > That was early November... and I haven't met any crashes since then.

        I've been having this same issue. Usually after switching to MacVim after waking the machine up, or after it's been idle for a long time, then doing some action, like closing a window, we have a panic.

        But I do not use and never have installed tmux-MacOSX-pasteboard...

        If someone's looking into this, please let me know if/how I can provide more info...

        Louis

      • Steven Michalske
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 7, 2013
          What do the kernel panic logs say?

        • richard@...
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3, 2013
            I've started seeing this problem too. Once last night, and then again just now.

            When it happened just now, I was calling an external command 'processing-java' from Vim, to compile and display the Processing PDE file I was editing. The command ran and exited successfully, leaving Vim with a 'Press ENTER or type command to continue' message. When I pressed enter, the machine panicked.

            The panic report has the same 'negative open count' message mentioned above.

            I'm using MacVim 7.3 (53) on OS X 10.8.2

            On Monday, January 7, 2013 5:57:02 PM UTC, hardkrash wrote:
            > What do the kernel panic logs say?

            My kernel panic log is available from the URL below. Apologies for a dropbox link, but file attachments are broken for me in Google Groups. The log has the same 'negative open count' message mentioned above.

            http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2399817/Kernel_2013-02-03-134702_snowden.panic.gz

            --
            Richard Gray