Kernel Panics in MacVim

  • Steve Matney
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 23, 2012
      Has anybody been seeing pretty consistent kernel panics in MacVim? I just experienced my third in three days and second today.

      I just installed the latest snapshot, so we'll see if anything's changed to fix the problem, but I thought I'd throw this question out there to see if anyone else was having the same problem.

      Thanks everybody!

    • Phil Dobbin
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 23, 2012
        On 12/24/2012 05:03 AM, Steve Matney wrote:

        > Has anybody been seeing pretty consistent kernel panics in MacVim? I just experienced my third in three days and second today.
        >
        > I just installed the latest snapshot, so we'll see if anything's changed to fix the problem, but I thought I'd throw this question out there to see if anyone else was having the same problem.
        >
        > Thanks everybody!

        Your best bet is to send Bjorn the relevant logs & see if he can help in
        any way.

        Cheers,

        Phil...

        --
        currently (ab)using
        CentOS 5.8 & 6.3, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy & Spherical,
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 29, 2012
          On Monday, December 24, 2012 2:03:41 PM UTC+9, Steve Matney wrote:
          > Has anybody been seeing pretty consistent kernel panics in MacVim? I just experienced my third in three days and second today.
          >
          > I just installed the latest snapshot, so we'll see if anything's changed to fix the problem, but I thought I'd throw this question out there to see if anyone else was having the same problem.
          >
          > Thanks everybody!

          Perhaps you turned on the 'tmux-MacOSX-pasteboard' program?

          I also had this issue, after I upgraded from Snow Leopard(10.6) to Mountain Lion(10.8).
          Like you, I had nearly one panic a day. The kernel panic log showed: "negative open count"
          Upgrading/Compiling MacVim did not solve the issue. I was using 7.3 before upgrading the OS.

          I recalled that I was using the 'tmux-MacOSX-pasteboard' program before upgrading to Mountain Lion.

          https://github.com/ChrisJohnsen/tmux-MacOSX-pasteboard

          I wasn't sure it had anything to do with it, but at least it was something that was interacting with the lower level and Vim, so I thought it was worth a try.
          I decided to turn off that program, and see how well it goes along.
          That was early November... and I haven't met any crashes since then.

        • Louis Guillaume
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 7, 2013
            On Saturday, December 29, 2012 9:19:07 PM UTC-5, Jang-hwan Kim wrote:
            > On Monday, December 24, 2012 2:03:41 PM UTC+9, Steve Matney wrote:
            > > Has anybody been seeing pretty consistent kernel panics in MacVim? I just experienced my third in three days and second today.
            > >
            > > I just installed the latest snapshot, so we'll see if anything's changed to fix the problem, but I thought I'd throw this question out there to see if anyone else was having the same problem.
            > >
            > > Thanks everybody!
            >

            > Perhaps you turned on the 'tmux-MacOSX-pasteboard' program?
            >

            > I also had this issue, after I upgraded from Snow Leopard(10.6) to Mountain Lion(10.8).
            > Like you, I had nearly one panic a day. The kernel panic log showed: "negative open count"
            > Upgrading/Compiling MacVim did not solve the issue. I was using 7.3 before upgrading the OS.
            >
            > I recalled that I was using the 'tmux-MacOSX-pasteboard' program before upgrading to Mountain Lion.
            >
            > https://github.com/ChrisJohnsen/tmux-MacOSX-pasteboard
            >
            > I wasn't sure it had anything to do with it, but at least it was something that was interacting with the lower level and Vim, so I thought it was worth a try.
            > I decided to turn off that program, and see how well it goes along.
            > That was early November... and I haven't met any crashes since then.

            I've been having this same issue. Usually after switching to MacVim after waking the machine up, or after it's been idle for a long time, then doing some action, like closing a window, we have a panic.

            But I do not use and never have installed tmux-MacOSX-pasteboard...

            If someone's looking into this, please let me know if/how I can provide more info...

            Louis

          • Steven Michalske
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 7, 2013
              What do the kernel panic logs say?

            • richard@...
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 3, 2013
                I've started seeing this problem too. Once last night, and then again just now.

                When it happened just now, I was calling an external command 'processing-java' from Vim, to compile and display the Processing PDE file I was editing. The command ran and exited successfully, leaving Vim with a 'Press ENTER or type command to continue' message. When I pressed enter, the machine panicked.

                The panic report has the same 'negative open count' message mentioned above.

                I'm using MacVim 7.3 (53) on OS X 10.8.2

                On Monday, January 7, 2013 5:57:02 PM UTC, hardkrash wrote:
                > What do the kernel panic logs say?

                My kernel panic log is available from the URL below. Apologies for a dropbox link, but file attachments are broken for me in Google Groups. The log has the same 'negative open count' message mentioned above.

                http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2399817/Kernel_2013-02-03-134702_snowden.panic.gz

                --
                Richard Gray