Re: Support iCloud like TextEdit?

  • Phil Dobbin
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 27, 2012
      On 11/27/2012 07:36 PM, Raffi Khatchadourian wrote:

      > Any chance of supporting iCloud storage like TextEdit?

      I've never heard of Apple releasing the API for iCloud so it's closed
      source presumably & propitiatory to boot, so it'd be a tall order.

      Cheers,

      Phil...
    • Raffi Khatchadourian
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 27, 2012
        On Nov 27, 2012, at 14:20 , Phil Dobbin <phildobbin@...> wrote:

        > On 11/27/2012 07:36 PM, Raffi Khatchadourian wrote:
        >
        >> Any chance of supporting iCloud storage like TextEdit?
        >
        > I've never heard of Apple releasing the API for iCloud so it's closed
        > source presumably & propitiatory to boot, so it'd be a tall order.

        It's available. Other third-party applications support it. For an example, see IA Writer (http://www.iawriter.com).

      • Jiang Jiang
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 27, 2012
          On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 11:25 PM, Raffi Khatchadourian
          <raffi.t.khatchadourian@...> wrote:
          > It's available. Other third-party applications support it. For an example, see IA Writer (http://www.iawriter.com).

          Only apps sandboxed and released through Mac App Store have access to
          the iCloud API. The MAS availability as been discussed before in this
          group.

          - Jiang

        • Raffi Khatchadourian
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 27, 2012
            On Nov 27, 2012, at 14:38 , Jiang Jiang <gzjjgod@...> wrote:

            > On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 11:25 PM, Raffi Khatchadourian
            > <raffi.t.khatchadourian@...> wrote:
            >> It's available. Other third-party applications support it. For an example, see IA Writer (http://www.iawriter.com).
            >
            > Only apps sandboxed and released through Mac App Store have access to
            > the iCloud API. The MAS availability as been discussed before in this
            > group.

            What was the consensus?

          • Janusz Bossy
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 30, 2012
              On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:13 AM, Raffi Khatchadourian
              <raffi.t.khatchadourian@...> wrote:
              > What was the consensus?

              It's not doable. The sanboxing rules would forbid you from opening any
              files using other means than a standard open panel – the application
              itself doesn't have access to the filesystem but just a small subset
              of it. This, in most cases, renders Vim unusable.

              --
              Pozdrawiam,
              Janusz Bossy

            • Randy McMillan
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 30, 2012
                On Nov 30, 2012, at 5:01 AM, Janusz Bossy <janusz.bossy@...> wrote:

                > On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:13 AM, Raffi Khatchadourian
                > <raffi.t.khatchadourian@...> wrote:
                >> What was the consensus?
                >
                > It's not doable. The sanboxing rules would forbid you from opening any
                > files using other means than a standard open panel – the application
                > itself doesn't have access to the filesystem but just a small subset
                > of it. This, in most cases, renders Vim unusable.
                >
                > --
                > Pozdrawiam,
                > Janusz Boss

                Just subscribe to a premium service on GitHub and create private repos.

              • Raffi Khatchadourian
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 30, 2012
                  On Nov 30, 2012, at 02:01 , Janusz Bossy <janusz.bossy@...> wrote:

                  > On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:13 AM, Raffi Khatchadourian
                  > <raffi.t.khatchadourian@...> wrote:
                  >> What was the consensus?
                  >
                  > It's not doable. The sanboxing rules would forbid you from opening any
                  > files using other means than a standard open panel – the application
                  > itself doesn't have access to the filesystem but just a small subset
                  > of it. This, in most cases, renders Vim unusable.

                  I wouldn't mind using the open panel. And, for :e opens (for example), perhaps Apple Script can ben used to select the file in the open panel (using the :e argument).