Support iCloud like TextEdit?

  • Raffi Khatchadourian
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 27, 2012
      Any chance of supporting iCloud storage like TextEdit?

    • Phil Dobbin
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 27, 2012
        On 11/27/2012 07:36 PM, Raffi Khatchadourian wrote:

        > Any chance of supporting iCloud storage like TextEdit?

        I've never heard of Apple releasing the API for iCloud so it's closed
        source presumably & propitiatory to boot, so it'd be a tall order.

        Cheers,

        Phil...
      • Raffi Khatchadourian
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 27, 2012
          On Nov 27, 2012, at 14:20 , Phil Dobbin <phildobbin@...> wrote:

          > On 11/27/2012 07:36 PM, Raffi Khatchadourian wrote:
          >
          >> Any chance of supporting iCloud storage like TextEdit?
          >
          > I've never heard of Apple releasing the API for iCloud so it's closed
          > source presumably & propitiatory to boot, so it'd be a tall order.

          It's available. Other third-party applications support it. For an example, see IA Writer (http://www.iawriter.com).

        • Jiang Jiang
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 27, 2012
            On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 11:25 PM, Raffi Khatchadourian
            <raffi.t.khatchadourian@...> wrote:
            > It's available. Other third-party applications support it. For an example, see IA Writer (http://www.iawriter.com).

            Only apps sandboxed and released through Mac App Store have access to
            the iCloud API. The MAS availability as been discussed before in this
            group.

            - Jiang

          • Raffi Khatchadourian
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 27, 2012
              On Nov 27, 2012, at 14:38 , Jiang Jiang <gzjjgod@...> wrote:

              > On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 11:25 PM, Raffi Khatchadourian
              > <raffi.t.khatchadourian@...> wrote:
              >> It's available. Other third-party applications support it. For an example, see IA Writer (http://www.iawriter.com).
              >
              > Only apps sandboxed and released through Mac App Store have access to
              > the iCloud API. The MAS availability as been discussed before in this
              > group.

              What was the consensus?

            • Janusz Bossy
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 30, 2012
                On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:13 AM, Raffi Khatchadourian
                <raffi.t.khatchadourian@...> wrote:
                > What was the consensus?

                It's not doable. The sanboxing rules would forbid you from opening any
                files using other means than a standard open panel – the application
                itself doesn't have access to the filesystem but just a small subset
                of it. This, in most cases, renders Vim unusable.

                --
                Pozdrawiam,
                Janusz Bossy

              • Randy McMillan
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 30, 2012
                  On Nov 30, 2012, at 5:01 AM, Janusz Bossy <janusz.bossy@...> wrote:

                  > On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:13 AM, Raffi Khatchadourian
                  > <raffi.t.khatchadourian@...> wrote:
                  >> What was the consensus?
                  >
                  > It's not doable. The sanboxing rules would forbid you from opening any
                  > files using other means than a standard open panel – the application
                  > itself doesn't have access to the filesystem but just a small subset
                  > of it. This, in most cases, renders Vim unusable.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Pozdrawiam,
                  > Janusz Boss

                  Just subscribe to a premium service on GitHub and create private repos.

                • Raffi Khatchadourian
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 30, 2012
                    On Nov 30, 2012, at 02:01 , Janusz Bossy <janusz.bossy@...> wrote:

                    > On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:13 AM, Raffi Khatchadourian
                    > <raffi.t.khatchadourian@...> wrote:
                    >> What was the consensus?
                    >
                    > It's not doable. The sanboxing rules would forbid you from opening any
                    > files using other means than a standard open panel – the application
                    > itself doesn't have access to the filesystem but just a small subset
                    > of it. This, in most cases, renders Vim unusable.

                    I wouldn't mind using the open panel. And, for :e opens (for example), perhaps Apple Script can ben used to select the file in the open panel (using the :e argument).