Re: winpos works if I source .vimrc but not on startup

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 27, 2012
      On Nov 27, 8:24 am, Chris Lott <ch...@...> wrote:
      > I have the following in my .vimrc:
      > :winpos 30 30
      >
      > However, when I start MacVim, the window position doesn't get set
      > properly. But if I source my .vimrc with a window open, the position
      > is set correctly (the window jumps to the proper position).
      >
      > How can I get the window to the right position upon startup?

      > --
      > Chris Lott <ch...@...>

      :winpos {xvalue} {yvalue} is one of the few settings which is supposed
      to be "remembered until GUI startup" if you use it before the GUI has
      started. I don't know what the differences are in this respect between
      MacVim and the other flavours of gvim, but if you suspect that the
      command is issued "too early", you can move it into an autocommand for
      the GUIEnter event, which is triggered immediately after successfully
      starting the GUI and opening the GUI window, before the VimEnter event
      for GUI Vim.

      see

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 27, 2012
        On Nov 27, 11:36 am, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
        wrote:
        > On Nov 27, 8:24 am, Chris Lott <ch...@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I have the following in my .vimrc:
        > > :winpos 30 30
        >
        > > However, when I start MacVim, the window position doesn't get set
        > > properly. But if I source my .vimrc with a window open, the position
        > > is set correctly (the window jumps to the proper position).
        >
        > > How can I get the window to the right position upon startup?

        > > --
        > > Chris Lott <ch...@...>
        >
        > :winpos {xvalue} {yvalue} is one of the few settings which is supposed
        > to be "remembered until GUI startup" if you use it before the GUI has
        > started. I don't know what the differences are in this respect between
        > MacVim and the other flavours of gvim, but if you suspect that the
        > command is issued "too early", you can move it into an autocommand for
        > the GUIEnter event, which is triggered immediately after successfully
        > starting the GUI and opening the GUI window, before the VimEnter event
        > for GUI Vim.

        oops, hit Send too fast
        > see
        :help GUIEnter
        :help autocmd.txt

        Best regards,
        Tony.
        --
        BROTHER MAYNARD: Armaments Chapter Two Verses Nine to Twenty One.
        ANOTHER MONK: And St. Attila raised his hand grenade up on high