Vim Fonts

  • G. Mark Stewart
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 13, 2000
      Is there a way I can build my own font for VIM, or modify an existing
      one? TexEdit has some very nice fonts that are fixed-width, and I was
      wondering what the difference was between the two tools that made
      the fonts non-interchangeable.

      Anyone?

      Mark
    • Eugene Lee
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 14, 2000
        On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 08:27:48PM -0600, G. Mark Stewart wrote:
        :
        : Is there a way I can build my own font for VIM, or modify an existing
        : one? TexEdit has some very nice fonts that are fixed-width, and I was
        : wondering what the difference was between the two tools that made
        : the fonts non-interchangeable.

        MacVim should be able to use any TrueType font in the System Folder, so
        as long you modify your vimrc/macvimrc to use it as the default font.
        What font from Tex-Edit Plus are you trying to use in MacVim?

        --
        Eugene Lee
        eugene@...
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 14, 2000
          At 03:52 PM 11/14/00 -0800, Eugene Lee wrote:
          >On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 08:27:48PM -0600, G. Mark Stewart wrote:
          >:
          >: Is there a way I can build my own font for VIM, or modify an existing
          >: one? TexEdit has some very nice fonts that are fixed-width, and I was
          >: wondering what the difference was between the two tools that made
          >: the fonts non-interchangeable.
          >
          >MacVim should be able to use any TrueType font in the System Folder, so
          >as long you modify your vimrc/macvimrc to use it as the default font.
          >What font from Tex-Edit Plus are you trying to use in MacVim?

          Assuming that the fonts' licence allows, you could copy the font
          resources from Tex-Edit and paste them into MacVim, or create
          a suitcase for the fonts and place that in the System Folder.

          Keeping the font resources in an application has not been recommended
          since the launch of System 7, because it has the potential to cause
          problems with printing. This may not be a problem, because it is probably
          a bit-mapped screen font that you are interested in & you are likely
          using a distinct TrueType or PostScript font form printing.

          There are various programs that you can use to copy or modify
          a bit-mapped font including ResEdit. You do not need Fontographer,
          and I have found that its bit-map editor is awkward. Fonts are great fun,
          and if you do decide to tweak your own, you will probably end up putting
          a lot of time and effort into it. If you are starting from scratch then
          unless you are some kind of graphic genius, you will need a power
          tool such as Fontographer or CorelDraw.

          Ben.
        • vim-mac-egroups-wrapper@vim.org
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 21, 2000
            > On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 08:27:48PM -0600, G. Mark Stewart wrote:
            > :
            > : Is there a way I can build my own font for VIM, or modify an existing
            > : one? TexEdit has some very nice fonts that are fixed-width, and I was
            > : wondering what the difference was between the two tools that made
            > : the fonts non-interchangeable.
            >
            > MacVim should be able to use any TrueType font in the System Folder, so
            > as long you modify your vimrc/macvimrc to use it as the default font.
            > What font from Tex-Edit Plus are you trying to use in MacVim?

            MacVim will use any font supported by the system, but you will not like
            it!

            Vim is designed to work with monospaced fonts only, Monaco, ProFont and
            Courrier will work.

            Axel

            --
            There is nothing left to try
            There is nothing left to choose
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 21, 2000
              Yeah, monaco looks pretty good! Also, while non-monospaced fonts
              are less usable in most instances, they're very useful in some instances.
              More proof of the flexibility of Vim.

              GMS

              Axel Kielhorn wrote:

              > > On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 08:27:48PM -0600, G. Mark Stewart wrote:
              > > :
              > > : Is there a way I can build my own font for VIM, or modify an existing
              > > : one? TexEdit has some very nice fonts that are fixed-width, and I was
              > > : wondering what the difference was between the two tools that made
              > > : the fonts non-interchangeable.
              > >
              > > MacVim should be able to use any TrueType font in the System Folder, so
              > > as long you modify your vimrc/macvimrc to use it as the default font.
              > > What font from Tex-Edit Plus are you trying to use in MacVim?
              >
              > MacVim will use any font supported by the system, but you will not like
              > it!
              >
              > Vim is designed to work with monospaced fonts only, Monaco, ProFont and
              > Courrier will work.
              >
              > Axel
              >
              > --
              > There is nothing left to try
              > There is nothing left to choose
              > There is no greater power
              > Than the power of VI
            • Eugene Lee
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 21, 2000
                On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 12:48:43AM -0600, G. Mark Stewart wrote:
                :
                : Yeah, monaco looks pretty good! Also, while non-monospaced fonts
                : are less usable in most instances, they're very useful in some instances.
                : More proof of the flexibility of Vim.

                If possible, suggest using ProFont. It's more readable. Things like
                telling the difference between capital-i & lowercase-L and capital-o &
                the number zero are among the improvements.

                --
                Eugene Lee
                eugene@...