Re: Key combination to go one word back/forward in all modes on macbook air

  • Niels Kobsch├Ątzki
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 12, 2012
      On 12.11.2012, at 16:45, john mckenzie <jmck.name@...> wrote:

      On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 3:16 AM, Nunzio Losacco <nunzio.losacco@...> wrote:

      w.

      ^^ I think that is actually the key you are looking for -- "w" ;-)

      Don't forget "b" ^^

      Niels

    • Nunzio Losacco
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 12, 2012
        Hey guys, although I'm a "newbie forever" I perfectly know "w" and "b" go one
        word forth/back ;-)

        But...
        1) I'm looking for arrow keys combos (as ctrl+right/left on my linux box)
        being the same as in the terminal (namely alt+right/left on OSX)
        2) "w" and "b" are for "command mode", I want to move the cursor through
        words also in "insert mode", exactly as I do in the terminal, instead of
        having the odd behaviour I described in my first post.

      • jmck.name@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 12, 2012
          Option-left and right arrow work great for this in MacVim on *my* macs (including Lion). I am left wondering if there is some peculiarity to your account. Could you try another Mac or at least create a second account and see if it happens then?

          On Nov 12, 2012, at 12:10 PM, Nunzio Losacco <nunzio.losacco@...> wrote:

          > Hey guys, although I'm a "newbie forever" I perfectly know "w" and "b" go one
          > word forth/back ;-)
          >
          > But...
          > 1) I'm looking for arrow keys combos (as ctrl+right/left on my linux box)
          > being the same as in the terminal (namely alt+right/left on OSX)
          > 2) "w" and "b" are for "command mode", I want to move the cursor through
          > words also in "insert mode", exactly as I do in the terminal, instead of
          > having the odd behaviour I described in my first post.
          >

          > --
          >
          > --

        • Nunzio Losacco
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 13, 2012
            New account created. I was doubting as well, cause I changed some keyboard settings in Terminal in order to get pgup/pgdown working in vi (fn+up/down I think).
            However Option-left/right arrow not working for the new user either.

            Do you have any more suggestions?

            On Nov 12, 2012, at 12:10 PM, Nunzio Losacco <[hidden email]> wrote:

            > Hey guys, although I'm a "newbie forever" I perfectly know "w" and "b" go one
            > word forth/back ;-)
            >
            > But...
            > 1) I'm looking for arrow keys combos (as ctrl+right/left on my linux box)
            > being the same as in the terminal (namely alt+right/left on OSX)
            > 2) "w" and "b" are for "command mode", I want to move the cursor through
            > words also in "insert mode", exactly as I do in the terminal, instead of
            > having the odd behaviour I described in my first post.
            >

            > --
            >
            > --

            NAML

          • raf
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 13, 2012
              Nunzio Losacco wrote:

              > New account created. I was doubting as well, cause I changed some keyboard
              > settings in Terminal in order to get pgup/pgdown working in vi (fn+up/down
              > I think).
              > However Option-left/right arrow not working for the new user either.
              >
              > Do you have any more suggestions?

              shift-left/right works for me everywhere.

            • raf
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 13, 2012
                Nunzio Losacco wrote:

                > New account created. I was doubting as well, cause I changed some keyboard
                > settings in Terminal in order to get pgup/pgdown working in vi (fn+up/down
                > I think).
                > However Option-left/right arrow not working for the new user either.
                >
                > Do you have any more suggestions?

                :help word-motions

                shows that either control or shift left/right move a word at a time.