Key combination to go one word back/forward in all modes on macbook air

  • Nunzio Losacco
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 12, 2012
      Hi all,

      I've searched thoroughly for a solution to the following problem but I could
      not find a straightforward way to actually solve it.

      I'm using Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 on a MacBook Air 4.2.
      In the terminal (Terminal.app) I can easily go one word forward/backward
      using the key combo Alt+Right/Left arrow.
      This does not work in vim. Alt+Left actually goes one word backward but
      switches to command mode if I'm in insert mode.
      Alt+Right just switches from insert to command but does not seem to have any
      other effect.

      Other key combos i.e.: Fn+Up/Down=one page up/down; Fn+Left/Right = go to
      beginning/end of the line, work correctly both in insert and command mode.

      Is there an easy way to solve this? BTW, On my linux workstation I can
      easily step through words both in the terminal and in vim with
      Ctrl+Left/Right.

      Thank you in advance for your help,

      w.

    • john mckenzie
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 12, 2012

        On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 3:16 AM, Nunzio Losacco <nunzio.losacco@...> wrote:

        w.

        ^^ I think that is actually the key you are looking for -- "w" ;-)

      • Niels Kobsch√§tzki
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 12, 2012
          On 12.11.2012, at 16:45, john mckenzie <jmck.name@...> wrote:

          On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 3:16 AM, Nunzio Losacco <nunzio.losacco@...> wrote:

          w.

          ^^ I think that is actually the key you are looking for -- "w" ;-)

          Don't forget "b" ^^

          Niels

        • Nunzio Losacco
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 12, 2012
            Hey guys, although I'm a "newbie forever" I perfectly know "w" and "b" go one
            word forth/back ;-)

            But...
            1) I'm looking for arrow keys combos (as ctrl+right/left on my linux box)
            being the same as in the terminal (namely alt+right/left on OSX)
            2) "w" and "b" are for "command mode", I want to move the cursor through
            words also in "insert mode", exactly as I do in the terminal, instead of
            having the odd behaviour I described in my first post.

          • jmck.name@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 12, 2012
              Option-left and right arrow work great for this in MacVim on *my* macs (including Lion). I am left wondering if there is some peculiarity to your account. Could you try another Mac or at least create a second account and see if it happens then?

              On Nov 12, 2012, at 12:10 PM, Nunzio Losacco <nunzio.losacco@...> wrote:

              > Hey guys, although I'm a "newbie forever" I perfectly know "w" and "b" go one
              > word forth/back ;-)
              >
              > But...
              > 1) I'm looking for arrow keys combos (as ctrl+right/left on my linux box)
              > being the same as in the terminal (namely alt+right/left on OSX)
              > 2) "w" and "b" are for "command mode", I want to move the cursor through
              > words also in "insert mode", exactly as I do in the terminal, instead of
              > having the odd behaviour I described in my first post.
              >

              > --
              >
              > --

            • Nunzio Losacco
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 13, 2012
                New account created. I was doubting as well, cause I changed some keyboard settings in Terminal in order to get pgup/pgdown working in vi (fn+up/down I think).
                However Option-left/right arrow not working for the new user either.

                Do you have any more suggestions?

                On Nov 12, 2012, at 12:10 PM, Nunzio Losacco <[hidden email]> wrote:

                > Hey guys, although I'm a "newbie forever" I perfectly know "w" and "b" go one
                > word forth/back ;-)
                >
                > But...
                > 1) I'm looking for arrow keys combos (as ctrl+right/left on my linux box)
                > being the same as in the terminal (namely alt+right/left on OSX)
                > 2) "w" and "b" are for "command mode", I want to move the cursor through
                > words also in "insert mode", exactly as I do in the terminal, instead of
                > having the odd behaviour I described in my first post.
                >

                > --
                >
                > --

                NAML

              • raf
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 13, 2012
                  Nunzio Losacco wrote:

                  > New account created. I was doubting as well, cause I changed some keyboard
                  > settings in Terminal in order to get pgup/pgdown working in vi (fn+up/down
                  > I think).
                  > However Option-left/right arrow not working for the new user either.
                  >
                  > Do you have any more suggestions?

                  shift-left/right works for me everywhere.

                • raf
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 13, 2012
                    Nunzio Losacco wrote:

                    > New account created. I was doubting as well, cause I changed some keyboard
                    > settings in Terminal in order to get pgup/pgdown working in vi (fn+up/down
                    > I think).
                    > However Option-left/right arrow not working for the new user either.
                    >
                    > Do you have any more suggestions?

                    :help word-motions

                    shows that either control or shift left/right move a word at a time.