Re: disable ESC key?

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 5, 2012
      On Nov 4, 9:14 pm, Chris Lott <ch...@...> wrote:
      > I'd like to disable the ESC key in interactive mode (I only want to do
      > so in gui), but the following, which seems like it should work,
      > doesn't seem to do anything:
      >
      > :inoremap <esc> <nop>
      >
      > ideas?

      > --
      > Chris Lott <ch...@...>

      And how would you go back to Normal mode?

      Or do you want to never use Normal mode and always remain in Insert
      mode, changing Vim to a sort of Notepad clone? See :help -y

      Best regards,
      Tony.
      --
      If you don't care where you are, then you ain't lost.

    • Chris Lott
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 5, 2012
        On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 6:22 AM, Tony Mechelynck
        <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
        > On Nov 4, 9:14 pm, Chris Lott <ch...@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> :inoremap <esc> <nop>
        >>
        >> ideas?
        >>

        > And how would you go back to Normal mode?
        >
        > Or do you want to never use Normal mode and always remain in Insert
        > mode, changing Vim to a sort of Notepad clone? See :help -y

        Neither: I've mapped `jk` to ESC -- I'm just trying to train my
        fingers and, like disabling the arrow keys, disabling the ESC key is
        a good way to do that! I solved the problem, though, so all is well.

        Chris Lott <chris@...>

      • Jang-hwan Kim
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 6, 2012
          On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 1:15:51 AM UTC+9, Chris Lott wrote:
          > On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 6:22 AM, Tony Mechelynck
          >
          > <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
          >
          > > On Nov 4, 9:14 pm, Chris Lott <ch...@...> wrote:
          >

          > >> :inoremap <esc> <nop>
          >

          > >> ideas?
          >

          > > And how would you go back to Normal mode?
          >

          > > Or do you want to never use Normal mode and always remain in Insert
          >
          > > mode, changing Vim to a sort of Notepad clone? See :help -y
          >

          > Neither: I've mapped `jk` to ESC -- I'm just trying to train my
          >
          > fingers and, like disabling the arrow keys, disabling the ESC key is
          >
          > a good way to do that! I solved the problem, though, so all is well.

          > --
          >
          > Chris Lott <chris@...>

          FWIW, Pressing Ctrl+[ also behaves as ESC, without any additional mapping.

          Once you get used to it, you'll never have to stretch your left arm to escape again. Especially when you bind the Control key to Caps Lock key. ;)

        • Derek Ashley Thomas
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 6, 2012
            I didn't realize this was different for others since I started using a mac in Japan, but the control key on the Japanese keyboard is in the perfect location by design. :) Who needs a caps-lock anyway?

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 7, 2012
              On Nov 6, 11:46 pm, Derek Ashley Thomas <derekatho...@...>
              wrote:
              > [...] Who needs a caps-lock anyway? http://www.apple.com/jp/keyboard/

              Me for one. For titles or for text in all caps such as Unicode
              codepoint names or Bugzilla statuses and resolutions.

              I suppose though, that if I were writing mostly in CJK scripts (kanji/
              hanzi/hanja - hiragana - katakana - hangeul) I would have much less
              use of it.

              Best regards,
              Tony.
              --
              Money is the root of all evil, and man needs roots