Tab Bar Update Proposal

  • Dan Loewenherz
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2012
      Hey all,

      I would like to propose a refresh to the tab setup that we currently have in the GUI.

      Here is what I would like to see--

      1) Tab layout remains stationary when a tab is closed. This is useful when closing lots of tabs. It's annoying to have to move the mouse every time a new tab is closed to hit the X.

      2) Move the X to the right side of the tab. I'm actually not sure about this one, but I think it deserves a discussion.

      3) Make tab widths proportional to the number of tabs currently open, filling the available space.

      4) Possible rehaul of the visual design and user experience with the tab bar generally. I'm a big fan of the rounded corner look on Chrome, and of the little animations when opening / closing a tab on Chrome and Sublime Text 2.

      I am also willing to financially support any sort of design / interface work that falls in the above categories.

      Dan

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 11, 2012
        On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 12:06 AM, Dan Loewenherz wrote:

        > I would like to propose a refresh to the tab setup that we currently have in
        > the GUI.
        >
        > Here is what I would like to see--
        >
        > 1) Tab layout remains stationary when a tab is closed. This is useful when
        > closing lots of tabs. It's annoying to have to move the mouse every time a
        > new tab is closed to hit the X.
        >
        > 2) Move the X to the right side of the tab. I'm actually not sure about this
        > one, but I think it deserves a discussion.
        >
        > 3) Make tab widths proportional to the number of tabs currently open,
        > filling the available space.
        >
        > 4) Possible rehaul of the visual design and user experience with the tab bar
        > generally. I'm a big fan of the rounded corner look on Chrome, and of the
        > little animations when opening / closing a tab on Chrome and Sublime Text 2.

        I would love to see the tab bar updated. From what I can tell you are
        basically asking for the Chrome-style tabs instead of the (old)
        Safari-style tabs? Personally, I am a fan of how tabs function in
        Chrome (particularly item 1), but as for looks I prefer the tabs in
        Safari.

        At any rate, the problem in updating the tabs are that we currently
        use the PSMTabBarControl framework which I think should be ripped out
        completely but I don't know if there is any good replacement. Writing
        new tabs from scratch is probably more trouble than its worth. Is
        anybody aware of a modern and properly maintained tab bar framework to
        supersede PSMTabBarControl? (I had a look around and saw some forks
        of PSMTabBarControl but they did not give me the impression that they
        are what we need.)

        > I am also willing to financially support any sort of design / interface work
        > that falls in the above categories.

        Thank you for offering!

      • Nico Weber
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 8, 2012
          On 11.11.2012, at 08:54, björn wrote:

          > On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 12:06 AM, Dan Loewenherz wrote:
          >>
          >> I would like to propose a refresh to the tab setup that we currently have in
          >> the GUI.
          >>
          >> Here is what I would like to see--
          >>
          >> 1) Tab layout remains stationary when a tab is closed. This is useful when
          >> closing lots of tabs. It's annoying to have to move the mouse every time a
          >> new tab is closed to hit the X.
          >>
          >> 2) Move the X to the right side of the tab. I'm actually not sure about this
          >> one, but I think it deserves a discussion.
          >>
          >> 3) Make tab widths proportional to the number of tabs currently open,
          >> filling the available space.
          >>
          >> 4) Possible rehaul of the visual design and user experience with the tab bar
          >> generally. I'm a big fan of the rounded corner look on Chrome, and of the
          >> little animations when opening / closing a tab on Chrome and Sublime Text 2.
          >
          > I would love to see the tab bar updated. From what I can tell you are
          > basically asking for the Chrome-style tabs instead of the (old)
          > Safari-style tabs? Personally, I am a fan of how tabs function in
          > Chrome (particularly item 1), but as for looks I prefer the tabs in
          > Safari.
          >
          > At any rate, the problem in updating the tabs are that we currently
          > use the PSMTabBarControl framework which I think should be ripped out
          > completely but I don't know if there is any good replacement. Writing
          > new tabs from scratch is probably more trouble than its worth. Is
          > anybody aware of a modern and properly maintained tab bar framework to
          > supersede PSMTabBarControl? (I had a look around and saw some forks
          > of PSMTabBarControl but they did not give me the impression that they
          > are what we need.)

          There are a few projects that extracted chromium's tabs (for example https://github.com/rsms/chromium-tabs). I don't know if they are actively maintained though. Tweaking the appearance is probably fairly easy using PSMTabBarControl's assets.

          Nico