disable ESC key?

  • Chris Lott
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2012
      I'd like to disable the ESC key in interactive mode (I only want to do
      so in gui), but the following, which seems like it should work,
      doesn't seem to do anything:

      :inoremap <esc> <nop>

      ideas?

      Chris Lott <chris@...>

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 5, 2012
        On Nov 4, 9:14 pm, Chris Lott <ch...@...> wrote:
        > I'd like to disable the ESC key in interactive mode (I only want to do
        > so in gui), but the following, which seems like it should work,
        > doesn't seem to do anything:
        >
        > :inoremap <esc> <nop>
        >
        > ideas?

        > --
        > Chris Lott <ch...@...>

        And how would you go back to Normal mode?

        Or do you want to never use Normal mode and always remain in Insert
        mode, changing Vim to a sort of Notepad clone? See :help -y

        Best regards,
        Tony.
        --
        If you don't care where you are, then you ain't lost.

      • Chris Lott
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 5, 2012
          On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 6:22 AM, Tony Mechelynck
          <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
          > On Nov 4, 9:14 pm, Chris Lott <ch...@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> :inoremap <esc> <nop>
          >>
          >> ideas?
          >>

          > And how would you go back to Normal mode?
          >
          > Or do you want to never use Normal mode and always remain in Insert
          > mode, changing Vim to a sort of Notepad clone? See :help -y

          Neither: I've mapped `jk` to ESC -- I'm just trying to train my
          fingers and, like disabling the arrow keys, disabling the ESC key is
          a good way to do that! I solved the problem, though, so all is well.

          Chris Lott <chris@...>

        • Jang-hwan Kim
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 6, 2012
            On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 1:15:51 AM UTC+9, Chris Lott wrote:
            > On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 6:22 AM, Tony Mechelynck
            >
            > <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
            >
            > > On Nov 4, 9:14 pm, Chris Lott <ch...@...> wrote:
            >

            > >> :inoremap <esc> <nop>
            >

            > >> ideas?
            >

            > > And how would you go back to Normal mode?
            >

            > > Or do you want to never use Normal mode and always remain in Insert
            >
            > > mode, changing Vim to a sort of Notepad clone? See :help -y
            >

            > Neither: I've mapped `jk` to ESC -- I'm just trying to train my
            >
            > fingers and, like disabling the arrow keys, disabling the ESC key is
            >
            > a good way to do that! I solved the problem, though, so all is well.

            > --
            >
            > Chris Lott <chris@...>

            FWIW, Pressing Ctrl+[ also behaves as ESC, without any additional mapping.

            Once you get used to it, you'll never have to stretch your left arm to escape again. Especially when you bind the Control key to Caps Lock key. ;)

          • Derek Ashley Thomas
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 6, 2012
              I didn't realize this was different for others since I started using a mac in Japan, but the control key on the Japanese keyboard is in the perfect location by design. :) Who needs a caps-lock anyway?

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 7, 2012
                On Nov 6, 11:46 pm, Derek Ashley Thomas <derekatho...@...>
                wrote:
                > [...] Who needs a caps-lock anyway? http://www.apple.com/jp/keyboard/

                Me for one. For titles or for text in all caps such as Unicode
                codepoint names or Bugzilla statuses and resolutions.

                I suppose though, that if I were writing mostly in CJK scripts (kanji/
                hanzi/hanja - hiragana - katakana - hangeul) I would have much less
                use of it.

                Best regards,
                Tony.
                --
                Money is the root of all evil, and man needs roots