Cannot run MacVim built with Xcode 4.5 on OS X 10.7.5

  • George V. Reilly
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 4, 2012
      I have successfully built MacVim many times in the past from source.
      I am no longer able to do so.

      When I run the MacVim.app that I've built, it starts up,
      but no Vim window opens.
      If I do ⌘N, nothing happens.
      When I do ⌘Q, I get a dialog telling me that
      there are two open windows in MacVim.
      Removing my ~/.vim and ~/.vimrc
      (because I don't know how to run -u NONE),
      doesn't help.

      I'm running Xcode 4.5 (4G182) on OS X 10.7.5 on one machine,
      and Xcode 4.5.1 (4G1004) on 10.7.5 on another.
      I've installed the latest command-line tools via
      Xcode's Preferences > Downloads.

      I tried running MacVim.app under the Xcode debugger.
      Once, after pausing at a breakpoint in main() for a while,
      I actually saw the Vim window open.
      Unfortunately, I know nothing about Xcode, Objective-C, Cocoa,
      or the innards of MacVim,
      so I'm at a loss to go any further.

      I've attached a log of all the configure and make output.

      BTW, the MacVim repo is about 60 patches behind Vim.
      --
      /George V. Reilly george@... Twitter: @georgevreilly
      http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog http://blogs.cozi.com/tech

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 4, 2012
        On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 8:00 AM, George V. Reilly wrote:
        > I have successfully built MacVim many times in the past from source.
        > I am no longer able to do so.
        >
        > When I run the MacVim.app that I've built, it starts up,
        > but no Vim window opens.

        You are most likely building Vim with gcc and MacVim with clang. Try

        make clean
        CC=clang ./configure
        make

        If that doesn't work and you're not comfortable debugging build issues
        I always recommend using the prebuilt binaries that I provide.

        > BTW, the MacVim repo is about 60 patches behind Vim.

        Updated now. Thanks for the nudge.

      • Chris Lott
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 4, 2012
          On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 1:40 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

          >> BTW, the MacVim repo is about 60 patches behind Vim.
          >
          > Updated now. Thanks for the nudge.

          Does this mean a new snapshot coming soon? :)

          Chris Lott <chris@...>

        • George V. Reilly
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 4, 2012
            On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 1:40 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
            > On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 8:00 AM, George V. Reilly wrote:
            >> I have successfully built MacVim many times in the past from source.
            >> I am no longer able to do so.
            >>
            >> When I run the MacVim.app that I've built, it starts up,
            >> but no Vim window opens.
            >
            > You are most likely building Vim with gcc and MacVim with clang. Try
            >
            > make clean
            > CC=clang ./configure
            > make
            >
            > If that doesn't work and you're not comfortable debugging build issues
            > I always recommend using the prebuilt binaries that I provide.
            >
            >> BTW, the MacVim repo is about 60 patches behind Vim.
            >
            > Updated now. Thanks for the nudge.

            Thanks, Bjorn. The CC=clang ./configure did the trick.
            Perhaps https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/wiki/Building
            should be updated to point out that it also applies now to 10.7.

            /George

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 5, 2012
              On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 8:33 PM, George V. Reilly wrote:

              > Thanks, Bjorn. The CC=clang ./configure did the trick.
              > Perhaps https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/wiki/Building
              > should be updated to point out that it also applies now to 10.7.

              Sounds good. Would you mind doing that?

              Thanks,

            • Douglas Drumond
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 5, 2012
                On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 8:28 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

                > On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 8:33 PM, George V. Reilly wrote:
                > >
                > > Thanks, Bjorn. The CC=clang ./configure did the trick.
                > > Perhaps https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/wiki/Building
                > > should be updated to point out that it also applies now to 10.7.
                >
                > Sounds good. Would you mind doing that?

                Done

                --
                Douglas Drumond
                http://about.me/douglasdrumond

              • Geoff Petrie
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 6, 2012
                  On Sunday, 4 November 2012 02:40:59 UTC-7, björn wrote:

                  > make clean
                  >
                  > CC=clang ./configure
                  >
                  > make

                  I just wanted to add that this was a huge help for me as well. It is nice to be able to compile MacVim from source again. Thank you for the tip!

                  - Geoff