Re: Cutting and pasting between two different files

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 18, 2012
      On Thursday, October 18, 2012 9:17:00 PM UTC-5, David Sanson wrote:
      > By default, yanking doesn't yank to the system clipboard, and so the yanked text isn't available across different instances of vim. You can use "*y to yank text to the system clipboard and "*p to put text from the system clipbooard. Or you can put `set clipboard=unnamed` in your .vimrc, to use the system clipboard as the default register.
      >
      > (I'm no expert, so someone please correct this if it is wrong or misleading.)

      Hi, I created a file ~/.vimrc with

      set clipboard=unnamed

      but sadly no dice, yanking and pasting between two files. Thanks for the suggestion though, - Dave

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 19, 2012
        On Oct 19, 4:17 am, David Sanson <dsan...@...> wrote:
        > By default, yanking doesn't yank to the system clipboard, and so the yanked text isn't available across different instances of vim. You can use "*y to yank text to the system clipboard and "*p to put text from the system clipbooard. Or you can put `set clipboard=unnamed` in your .vimrc, to use the system clipboard as the default register.
        >
        > (I'm no expert, so someone please correct this if it is wrong or misleading.)

        On Windows, the * (star) and + (plus) registers both mean the system
        clipboard.

        On X11 systems, the + (plus) register is used by most programs
        (including gvim) for Edit→Copy, Edit→Cut and Edit→Paste, while the *
        (star) register is filled in most programs by selecting (highlighting)
        something on the screen, and pasted by clicking the middle mouse
        button.

        I'm not sure what happens in MacVim but you might try, at first, to
        start Visual mode (selecting whatever you want to copy) then use
        Edit→Copy in one instance and Edit→Paste in the other. If it works,
        look on the right side of the Edit menu which commands are triggered
        by these menuitems. Here on Linux, Edit→Copy means "+y and Edit→Paste
        means "+gP (the difference between P and gP is that gP leaves the
        cursor after the pasted text).

      • David Sanson
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 19, 2012
          Are you using the system vim on 10.7, or macvim? The system vim might not be compiled with clipboard support. Try

          vim --version

          And look for a +clipboard in the features list.