Re: Cutting and pasting between two different files

  • David Sanson
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 18, 2012
      By default, yanking doesn't yank to the system clipboard, and so the yanked text isn't available across different instances of vim. You can use "*y to yank text to the system clipboard and "*p to put text from the system clipbooard. Or you can put `set clipboard=unnamed` in your .vimrc, to use the system clipboard as the default register.

      (I'm no expert, so someone please correct this if it is wrong or misleading.)

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 18, 2012
        On Thursday, October 18, 2012 9:17:00 PM UTC-5, David Sanson wrote:
        > By default, yanking doesn't yank to the system clipboard, and so the yanked text isn't available across different instances of vim. You can use "*y to yank text to the system clipboard and "*p to put text from the system clipbooard. Or you can put `set clipboard=unnamed` in your .vimrc, to use the system clipboard as the default register.
        >
        > (I'm no expert, so someone please correct this if it is wrong or misleading.)

        Hi, I created a file ~/.vimrc with

        set clipboard=unnamed

        but sadly no dice, yanking and pasting between two files. Thanks for the suggestion though, - Dave

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 19, 2012
          On Oct 19, 4:17 am, David Sanson <dsan...@...> wrote:
          > By default, yanking doesn't yank to the system clipboard, and so the yanked text isn't available across different instances of vim. You can use "*y to yank text to the system clipboard and "*p to put text from the system clipbooard. Or you can put `set clipboard=unnamed` in your .vimrc, to use the system clipboard as the default register.
          >
          > (I'm no expert, so someone please correct this if it is wrong or misleading.)

          On Windows, the * (star) and + (plus) registers both mean the system
          clipboard.

          On X11 systems, the + (plus) register is used by most programs
          (including gvim) for Edit→Copy, Edit→Cut and Edit→Paste, while the *
          (star) register is filled in most programs by selecting (highlighting)
          something on the screen, and pasted by clicking the middle mouse
          button.

          I'm not sure what happens in MacVim but you might try, at first, to
          start Visual mode (selecting whatever you want to copy) then use
          Edit→Copy in one instance and Edit→Paste in the other. If it works,
          look on the right side of the Edit menu which commands are triggered
          by these menuitems. Here on Linux, Edit→Copy means "+y and Edit→Paste
          means "+gP (the difference between P and gP is that gP leaves the
          cursor after the pasted text).

        • David Sanson
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 19, 2012
            Are you using the system vim on 10.7, or macvim? The system vim might not be compiled with clipboard support. Try

            vim --version

            And look for a +clipboard in the features list.