Re: Cutting and pasting between two different files

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 18, 2012
      On Oct 18, 8:18 pm, Dave <laredotorn...@...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm using vim 7.3 on Mac 10.7.5.  How do I enable cutting and pasting between different vim sessions within the same shell?  That is, I start one vim session, copy some text, quit the file I'm editing, open a new file, and then paste what I copied in the previous file.  I have seen this on other versions of vim I've used (don't remember the version numbers), and so wanted to ask how this can be configured, if at all.
      >
      > Thanks, - Dave

      As Michael said, you don't need to quit the first file. You can open
      the second file in a split-window or in a new tabpage in the same Vim.

      If the file where you want to paste is already open in a different
      Vim, you should be able to paste via the clipboard (provided of course
      that both Vim instances were compiled with +clipboard and have access
      to the clipboard). This works on Windows and on Linux, I haven't tried
      it on a Mac.

      Best regards,
      Tony.
      --
      Manual, n.:
      A unit of documentation. There are always three or more on a

    • David Sanson
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 18, 2012
        By default, yanking doesn't yank to the system clipboard, and so the yanked text isn't available across different instances of vim. You can use "*y to yank text to the system clipboard and "*p to put text from the system clipbooard. Or you can put `set clipboard=unnamed` in your .vimrc, to use the system clipboard as the default register.

        (I'm no expert, so someone please correct this if it is wrong or misleading.)

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 18, 2012
          On Thursday, October 18, 2012 9:17:00 PM UTC-5, David Sanson wrote:
          > By default, yanking doesn't yank to the system clipboard, and so the yanked text isn't available across different instances of vim. You can use "*y to yank text to the system clipboard and "*p to put text from the system clipbooard. Or you can put `set clipboard=unnamed` in your .vimrc, to use the system clipboard as the default register.
          >
          > (I'm no expert, so someone please correct this if it is wrong or misleading.)

          Hi, I created a file ~/.vimrc with

          set clipboard=unnamed

          but sadly no dice, yanking and pasting between two files. Thanks for the suggestion though, - Dave

        • Tony Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 19, 2012
            On Oct 19, 4:17 am, David Sanson <dsan...@...> wrote:
            > By default, yanking doesn't yank to the system clipboard, and so the yanked text isn't available across different instances of vim. You can use "*y to yank text to the system clipboard and "*p to put text from the system clipbooard. Or you can put `set clipboard=unnamed` in your .vimrc, to use the system clipboard as the default register.
            >
            > (I'm no expert, so someone please correct this if it is wrong or misleading.)

            On Windows, the * (star) and + (plus) registers both mean the system
            clipboard.

            On X11 systems, the + (plus) register is used by most programs
            (including gvim) for Edit→Copy, Edit→Cut and Edit→Paste, while the *
            (star) register is filled in most programs by selecting (highlighting)
            something on the screen, and pasted by clicking the middle mouse
            button.

            I'm not sure what happens in MacVim but you might try, at first, to
            start Visual mode (selecting whatever you want to copy) then use
            Edit→Copy in one instance and Edit→Paste in the other. If it works,
            look on the right side of the Edit menu which commands are triggered
            by these menuitems. Here on Linux, Edit→Copy means "+y and Edit→Paste
            means "+gP (the difference between P and gP is that gP leaves the
            cursor after the pasted text).

          • David Sanson
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 19, 2012
              Are you using the system vim on 10.7, or macvim? The system vim might not be compiled with clipboard support. Try

              vim --version

              And look for a +clipboard in the features list.