Re: guifont + lines + colums

  • Keyan
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 5, 2012
      On 5 Oct 2012, at 18:28, Bee <forth@...> wrote:

      > On Oct 5, 7:59 am, Keyan <key....@...> wrote:
      >> Hi,
      >>
      >> I still have the problem that the following line
      >>
      >> :set guifont=Menlo:h26 lines=30 columns=80
      >>
      >> does change the font, but not the lines and columns.
      >>
      >> Cheers,
      >> Keyan
      >
      > Do you have that line in .vimrc?
      > If yes, try it in .gvimrc
      >
      > Works here with one exception, my laptop screen is
      > not large enough to display 80 columns at Menlo:h26
      >
      > But this works great:
      >
      > :set guifont=Menlo:h18 lines=30 columns=80
      >
      > Bill

      Hi,

      i had it in my .vimrc and in my .gvimrc. what i have send is from the command mode. the line you have posted does not work for me. i use

      VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Sep 1 2012 01:05:49)
      MacOS X (unix) version
      Included patches: 1-604

      (compiled from homebrew)

      Cheers,
      Keyan

    • Bee
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 5, 2012
        Keyan wrote:
        > i had it in my .vimrc and in my .gvimrc.
        > what i have send is from the command mode.
        > the line you have posted does not work for me. i use
        >
        > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Sep 1 2012 01:05:49)
        > MacOS X (unix) version
        > Included patches: 1-604

        Try this in .gvimrc, remove the reference to guifont

        set lines=30 columns=80

        Does that work?

      • Keyan
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 5, 2012
          On 5 Oct 2012, at 21:27, Bee <forth@...> wrote:

          > Keyan wrote:
          >> i had it in my .vimrc and in my .gvimrc.
          >> what i have send is from the command mode.
          >> the line you have posted does not work for me. i use
          >>
          >> VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Sep 1 2012 01:05:49)
          >> MacOS X (unix) version
          >> Included patches: 1-604
          >
          > Try this in .gvimrc, remove the reference to guifont
          >
          > set lines=30 columns=80
          >
          > Does that work?

          removed set guifont from .gvimrc, and I have none in the .vimrc. added set lines=30 colums=80 in the last line of my .gvimrc and it did not work, because i have set fu. if i remove this option, it works. i like to use vim in full-screen mode by default, so that is why i forgot to add that important information. sorry for that.

          the initial :set command that i posted works fine in non-fullscreen mode. i use the build-in fullscreen method, not the mac os version of fullscreen, because i like to see the output (e.g. latex) on the second screen.

          cheers,
          Keyan

        • Bee
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 5, 2012
            > On 5 Oct 2012, at 21:27, Bee <forth@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Keyan wrote:
            > >> i had it in my .vimrc and in my .gvimrc.
            > >> what i have send is from the command mode.
            > >> the line you have posted does not work for me. i use
            > >>
            > >> VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Sep 1 2012 01:05:49)
            > >> MacOS X (unix) version
            > >> Included patches: 1-604
            > >
            > > Try this in .gvimrc, remove the reference to guifont
            > >
            > > set lines=30 columns=80
            > >
            > > Does that work?
            >
            > removed set guifont from .gvimrc, and I have none in the .vimrc. added set lines=30 colums=80 in the last line of my .gvimrc and it did not work, because i have set fu. if i remove this option, it works. i like to use vim in full-screen mode by default, so that is why i forgot to add that important information. sorry for that.
            >
            > the initial :set command that i posted works fine in non-fullscreen mode. i use the build-in fullscreen method, not the mac os version of fullscreen, because i like to see the output (e.g. latex) on the second screen.
            >
            > cheers,
            > Keyan

            :help fullscreen
            Note: Setting 'fullscreen' usually changes the size of the Vim
            control. However, for technical reasons, 'lines' and 'columns'
            will currently only be updated when Vim runs its event loop. As
            a consequence, if you set 'fullscreen' and 'lines' or 'columns'
            in a Vim script file, you should always set 'fullscreen' after
            setting 'lines' and 'columns', else 'lines' and 'columns' will
            be overwritten with the values 'fullscreen' sets after the
            script has been executed and the event loop is ran again.

            Also see:
            :help fuoptions

          • Bee
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 5, 2012
              PS
              If I set fullscreen in a script is does not work.

              In .gvimrc I set lines and columns
              and set fuoptions to do not change size of vim
              and this mapping to toggle fullscreen

              " -------1---------2---------3---------4---------5---------6----
              :set guifont=Menlo:h18 lines=30 columns=80

              " Don't change size of Vim when entering fullscreen
              :set fuoptions=

              " Toggle fullscreen
              :nmap <F12> :set fullscreen!<cr>

              :help fuoptions

              Bill

            • Keyan
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 6, 2012

                thanks a lot. The set fuoptions did the trick! :)

                Cheers,
                Keyan