Re: guifont + lines + colums

  • Bee
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 5, 2012
      On Oct 5, 7:59 am, Keyan <key....@...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I still have the problem that the following line
      >
      > :set guifont=Menlo:h26 lines=30 columns=80
      >
      > does change the font, but not the lines and columns.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Keyan

      Do you have that line in .vimrc?
      If yes, try it in .gvimrc

      Works here with one exception, my laptop screen is
      not large enough to display 80 columns at Menlo:h26

      But this works great:

      :set guifont=Menlo:h18 lines=30 columns=80

      Bill

    • Keyan
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 5, 2012
        On 5 Oct 2012, at 18:28, Bee <forth@...> wrote:

        > On Oct 5, 7:59 am, Keyan <key....@...> wrote:
        >> Hi,
        >>
        >> I still have the problem that the following line
        >>
        >> :set guifont=Menlo:h26 lines=30 columns=80
        >>
        >> does change the font, but not the lines and columns.
        >>
        >> Cheers,
        >> Keyan
        >
        > Do you have that line in .vimrc?
        > If yes, try it in .gvimrc
        >
        > Works here with one exception, my laptop screen is
        > not large enough to display 80 columns at Menlo:h26
        >
        > But this works great:
        >
        > :set guifont=Menlo:h18 lines=30 columns=80
        >
        > Bill

        Hi,

        i had it in my .vimrc and in my .gvimrc. what i have send is from the command mode. the line you have posted does not work for me. i use

        VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Sep 1 2012 01:05:49)
        MacOS X (unix) version
        Included patches: 1-604

        (compiled from homebrew)

        Cheers,
        Keyan

      • Bee
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 5, 2012
          Keyan wrote:
          > i had it in my .vimrc and in my .gvimrc.
          > what i have send is from the command mode.
          > the line you have posted does not work for me. i use
          >
          > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Sep 1 2012 01:05:49)
          > MacOS X (unix) version
          > Included patches: 1-604

          Try this in .gvimrc, remove the reference to guifont

          set lines=30 columns=80

          Does that work?

        • Keyan
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 5, 2012
            On 5 Oct 2012, at 21:27, Bee <forth@...> wrote:

            > Keyan wrote:
            >> i had it in my .vimrc and in my .gvimrc.
            >> what i have send is from the command mode.
            >> the line you have posted does not work for me. i use
            >>
            >> VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Sep 1 2012 01:05:49)
            >> MacOS X (unix) version
            >> Included patches: 1-604
            >
            > Try this in .gvimrc, remove the reference to guifont
            >
            > set lines=30 columns=80
            >
            > Does that work?

            removed set guifont from .gvimrc, and I have none in the .vimrc. added set lines=30 colums=80 in the last line of my .gvimrc and it did not work, because i have set fu. if i remove this option, it works. i like to use vim in full-screen mode by default, so that is why i forgot to add that important information. sorry for that.

            the initial :set command that i posted works fine in non-fullscreen mode. i use the build-in fullscreen method, not the mac os version of fullscreen, because i like to see the output (e.g. latex) on the second screen.

            cheers,
            Keyan

          • Bee
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 5, 2012
              > On 5 Oct 2012, at 21:27, Bee <forth@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Keyan wrote:
              > >> i had it in my .vimrc and in my .gvimrc.
              > >> what i have send is from the command mode.
              > >> the line you have posted does not work for me. i use
              > >>
              > >> VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Sep 1 2012 01:05:49)
              > >> MacOS X (unix) version
              > >> Included patches: 1-604
              > >
              > > Try this in .gvimrc, remove the reference to guifont
              > >
              > > set lines=30 columns=80
              > >
              > > Does that work?
              >
              > removed set guifont from .gvimrc, and I have none in the .vimrc. added set lines=30 colums=80 in the last line of my .gvimrc and it did not work, because i have set fu. if i remove this option, it works. i like to use vim in full-screen mode by default, so that is why i forgot to add that important information. sorry for that.
              >
              > the initial :set command that i posted works fine in non-fullscreen mode. i use the build-in fullscreen method, not the mac os version of fullscreen, because i like to see the output (e.g. latex) on the second screen.
              >
              > cheers,
              > Keyan

              :help fullscreen
              Note: Setting 'fullscreen' usually changes the size of the Vim
              control. However, for technical reasons, 'lines' and 'columns'
              will currently only be updated when Vim runs its event loop. As
              a consequence, if you set 'fullscreen' and 'lines' or 'columns'
              in a Vim script file, you should always set 'fullscreen' after
              setting 'lines' and 'columns', else 'lines' and 'columns' will
              be overwritten with the values 'fullscreen' sets after the
              script has been executed and the event loop is ran again.

              Also see:
              :help fuoptions

            • Bee
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 5, 2012
                PS
                If I set fullscreen in a script is does not work.

                In .gvimrc I set lines and columns
                and set fuoptions to do not change size of vim
                and this mapping to toggle fullscreen

                " -------1---------2---------3---------4---------5---------6----
                :set guifont=Menlo:h18 lines=30 columns=80

                " Don't change size of Vim when entering fullscreen
                :set fuoptions=

                " Toggle fullscreen
                :nmap <F12> :set fullscreen!<cr>

                :help fuoptions

                Bill

              • Keyan
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 6, 2012

                  thanks a lot. The set fuoptions did the trick! :)

                  Cheers,
                  Keyan