Re: MacVim and App Store

  • mvim@forallx.net
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 8, 2012
      > Apparently he doesn't read either:
      >
      > >> I don't think I want to use the App Store. Why?
      > >
      > > Amen.

      One who reads would have read that...

      > I suspect, however, that I am the only one who thinks it would be
      > terrible in part because it would be degrading and insulting to MacVim
      > to be "approved", neutered, and listed among the other "programs" that
      > live there.

      ...and would not have stopped at "terrible". Such a reader can see that
      I suspect I'm the only one whose negativity towards putting MacVim on
      the MAS stems in part because the MAS is degrading and insulting to
      MacVim. The view that MAS is insulting and degrading to MacVim is an
      odd view to have, since MacVim has no feelings to be hurt and no dignity
      to be trampled. That's why I conjectured that I'm the only weirdo who
      holds it to an appreciable degree.

      So far, no one else has admitted to sharing this funny opinion with me.

      Charles

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 9, 2012
        On Sep 8, 9:30 pm, Carl Jacobsen <li...@...> wrote:
        [...]
        > Are you on this list for any reason other than to make yourself feel
        > smug?

        Believe it or not, yes I am. I occasionally answer posts which were
        made on vim_mac but actually belong on vim_use, and I also help ban
        the spammers and allow the legitimete new subscribers.

        > I've used a considerable number of Unix variants and Unix-alikes
        > (Linux included) starting with the then-new 4.2BSD on a Vax in 1983,
        > eight years before the earliest version of Linux existed. I choose to
        > use Mac OS X because I prefer it to all other available choices,
        > *including Linux*, for a wide variety of reasons (and "looking cool in
        > coffee shops" is *not* on that list). Linux is a nice Unix-alike, but
        > has always been missing a *really* good, thorough, *consistent*, GUI.
        > Mac OS X is a good BSD-variant Unix, with an absolutely fantastic GUI.
        > To me, and to many others, it's worth jumping through a few hoops
        > (like buying [fantastic-but-spendy] Mac hardware) to be able to use
        > Mac OS X. We probably won't be able to sufficiently educate you about
        > what you're missing out on to change your mind, but, by the same
        > token, you aren't going to be able to convince us that Linux is
        > superior to Mac OS X. So please don't try.

        I suppose we just don't have the same preferences. I don't blame you
        for preferring the luxury of a Rolls-Royce (and paying for it), please
        son't snub my VW Beetle.

        > And back on topic, count me in on being willing to contribute (each
        > year) towards a membership for Björn in the Mac Developer Program,
        > should he elect to start signing MacVim (I think it would involve
        > jumping through some hoops in Xcode initially, but could then be
        > automated to a simple call to /usr/bin/codesign in the Makefile).
        >
        > My apologies for feeding the troll,
        > Carl

        Oh, and BTW I don't know what privileges "registered developers"
        enjoy, maybe that's one of the reasons why it seemed unduly expensive
        to me to pay USD 99 just for being one.

        Usually I'm the one recommending not to feed the animals :-P Can't you
        take humor? Not when it means someone doesn't assume costlier is
        better, apparently. Oh, well, maybe I'm the one feeding the troll now.
        I'll shut up.

        Best regards,
        Tony.
        --
        Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow they may make it illegal.