Re: MacVim and App Store

  • Christopher Stone
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 8, 2012
      On Sep 08, 2012, at 20:38, Chip Warden <chip.warden@...> wrote:
      > On Sep 8, 2012, at 7:04 PM, Charles <mvim@...> wrote:
      >> I suspect, however, that I am the only one who thinks it would be terrible in part because it would be degrading and insulting to MacVim to be "approved", neutered, and listed among the other "programs" that live there.
      >
      > And, of course, you'd be wrong. Making assumptions about what others think is never a good idea.

      Apparently he doesn't read either:

      On Sep 06, 2012, at 22:02, Christopher Stone <listmeister@...> wrote:
      > On Sep 06, 2012, at 09:31, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
      >> I don't think I want to use the App Store. Why?
      >
      > Amen.

      The app-store has some fine software available in addition to the dross, but it's a claustrophobic space ill-suited to developers who are unable or unwilling to put up with Apple's restrictive guidelines.

      -ccs

    • mvim@forallx.net
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 8, 2012
        Chip Warden wrote:
        > On Sep 8, 2012, at 7:04 PM, Charles <mvim@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I suspect, however, that I am the only one
        > > who thinks it would be terrible in part because it would be degrading and
        > > insulting to MacVim to be "approved", neutered, and listed among the other
        > > "programs" that live there.

        > And, of course, you'd be wrong. Making assumptions about what others think is
        > never a good idea.

        But I didn't assume. As the text says, I merely suspected. There is nothing
        wrong with having suspicions about what others think. E.g., I may suspect that the election will be a close one.

        > Wow, I'm violating my own rule about not feeding trolls. Congratulations,
        > Charles, you successfully troll-baited me.

        A troll is someone who wants others to be annoyed and to reply to their
        postings. This describes neither me nor (I suspect) Tony Mechelynck. Some were annoyed and replied, neither of which was hoped for.

        Charles

      • mvim@forallx.net
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 8, 2012
          > Apparently he doesn't read either:
          >
          > >> I don't think I want to use the App Store. Why?
          > >
          > > Amen.

          One who reads would have read that...

          > I suspect, however, that I am the only one who thinks it would be
          > terrible in part because it would be degrading and insulting to MacVim
          > to be "approved", neutered, and listed among the other "programs" that
          > live there.

          ...and would not have stopped at "terrible". Such a reader can see that
          I suspect I'm the only one whose negativity towards putting MacVim on
          the MAS stems in part because the MAS is degrading and insulting to
          MacVim. The view that MAS is insulting and degrading to MacVim is an
          odd view to have, since MacVim has no feelings to be hurt and no dignity
          to be trampled. That's why I conjectured that I'm the only weirdo who
          holds it to an appreciable degree.

          So far, no one else has admitted to sharing this funny opinion with me.

          Charles

        • Tony Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 9, 2012
            On Sep 8, 9:30 pm, Carl Jacobsen <li...@...> wrote:
            [...]
            > Are you on this list for any reason other than to make yourself feel
            > smug?

            Believe it or not, yes I am. I occasionally answer posts which were
            made on vim_mac but actually belong on vim_use, and I also help ban
            the spammers and allow the legitimete new subscribers.

            > I've used a considerable number of Unix variants and Unix-alikes
            > (Linux included) starting with the then-new 4.2BSD on a Vax in 1983,
            > eight years before the earliest version of Linux existed. I choose to
            > use Mac OS X because I prefer it to all other available choices,
            > *including Linux*, for a wide variety of reasons (and "looking cool in
            > coffee shops" is *not* on that list). Linux is a nice Unix-alike, but
            > has always been missing a *really* good, thorough, *consistent*, GUI.
            > Mac OS X is a good BSD-variant Unix, with an absolutely fantastic GUI.
            > To me, and to many others, it's worth jumping through a few hoops
            > (like buying [fantastic-but-spendy] Mac hardware) to be able to use
            > Mac OS X. We probably won't be able to sufficiently educate you about
            > what you're missing out on to change your mind, but, by the same
            > token, you aren't going to be able to convince us that Linux is
            > superior to Mac OS X. So please don't try.

            I suppose we just don't have the same preferences. I don't blame you
            for preferring the luxury of a Rolls-Royce (and paying for it), please
            son't snub my VW Beetle.

            > And back on topic, count me in on being willing to contribute (each
            > year) towards a membership for Björn in the Mac Developer Program,
            > should he elect to start signing MacVim (I think it would involve
            > jumping through some hoops in Xcode initially, but could then be
            > automated to a simple call to /usr/bin/codesign in the Makefile).
            >
            > My apologies for feeding the troll,
            > Carl

            Oh, and BTW I don't know what privileges "registered developers"
            enjoy, maybe that's one of the reasons why it seemed unduly expensive
            to me to pay USD 99 just for being one.

            Usually I'm the one recommending not to feed the animals :-P Can't you
            take humor? Not when it means someone doesn't assume costlier is
            better, apparently. Oh, well, maybe I'm the one feeding the troll now.
            I'll shut up.

            Best regards,
            Tony.
            --
            Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow they may make it illegal.