Re: MacVim and App Store

  • gmn
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 8, 2012

      There already is such a file. It's in html, and it's here: [https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/wiki/ChangeLog%5d

      Or, the user can just look here: [https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/downloads%5d and see if there's a new snapshot.

      > - if/when user clicks "Check for updates", grab the file.

      A bookmark makes it a one-click affair. So would this:

      nmap <F8> :!open -a Safari https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/wiki/ChangeLog<CR>

      -gmn

    • Charles
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 8, 2012
        Chip Warden wrote:
        > Having said that, let's please agree that MacVim on the Mac App Store would
        > be a Terrible Idea

        Well, I certainly agree with that. I suspect, however, that I am the only one
        who thinks it would be terrible in part because it would be degrading and
        insulting to MacVim to be "approved", neutered, and listed among the other
        "programs" that live there. The app store is for cartoon programs that let
        you share your grocery list with the universe, or tell your phone which
        song is playing in iTunes on your Mac right now.

        Charles

      • Chip Warden
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 8, 2012
          On Sep 8, 2012, at 7:04 PM, Charles <mvim@...> wrote:

          > I suspect, however, that I am the only one
          > who thinks it would be terrible in part because it would be degrading and
          > insulting to MacVim to be "approved", neutered, and listed among the other
          > "programs" that live there.

          And, of course, you'd be wrong. Making assumptions about what others think is never a good idea.

          > The app store is for cartoon programs that let
          > you share your grocery list with the universe, or tell your phone which
          > song is playing in iTunes on your Mac right now.

          And again, you'd be wrong. There are lots of good, useful programs on the Mac App Store. Of course, there are many *more* good, useful programs that would never be allowed on the Mac App Store, including MacVim.

          Wow, I'm violating my own rule about not feeding trolls. Congratulations, Charles, you successfully troll-baited me.

          Chip

        • Christopher Stone
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 8, 2012
            On Sep 08, 2012, at 20:38, Chip Warden <chip.warden@...> wrote:
            > On Sep 8, 2012, at 7:04 PM, Charles <mvim@...> wrote:
            >> I suspect, however, that I am the only one who thinks it would be terrible in part because it would be degrading and insulting to MacVim to be "approved", neutered, and listed among the other "programs" that live there.
            >
            > And, of course, you'd be wrong. Making assumptions about what others think is never a good idea.

            Apparently he doesn't read either:

            On Sep 06, 2012, at 22:02, Christopher Stone <listmeister@...> wrote:
            > On Sep 06, 2012, at 09:31, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
            >> I don't think I want to use the App Store. Why?
            >
            > Amen.

            The app-store has some fine software available in addition to the dross, but it's a claustrophobic space ill-suited to developers who are unable or unwilling to put up with Apple's restrictive guidelines.

            -ccs

          • mvim@forallx.net
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 8, 2012
              Chip Warden wrote:
              > On Sep 8, 2012, at 7:04 PM, Charles <mvim@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I suspect, however, that I am the only one
              > > who thinks it would be terrible in part because it would be degrading and
              > > insulting to MacVim to be "approved", neutered, and listed among the other
              > > "programs" that live there.

              > And, of course, you'd be wrong. Making assumptions about what others think is
              > never a good idea.

              But I didn't assume. As the text says, I merely suspected. There is nothing
              wrong with having suspicions about what others think. E.g., I may suspect that the election will be a close one.

              > Wow, I'm violating my own rule about not feeding trolls. Congratulations,
              > Charles, you successfully troll-baited me.

              A troll is someone who wants others to be annoyed and to reply to their
              postings. This describes neither me nor (I suspect) Tony Mechelynck. Some were annoyed and replied, neither of which was hoped for.

              Charles

            • mvim@forallx.net
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 8, 2012
                > Apparently he doesn't read either:
                >
                > >> I don't think I want to use the App Store. Why?
                > >
                > > Amen.

                One who reads would have read that...

                > I suspect, however, that I am the only one who thinks it would be
                > terrible in part because it would be degrading and insulting to MacVim
                > to be "approved", neutered, and listed among the other "programs" that
                > live there.

                ...and would not have stopped at "terrible". Such a reader can see that
                I suspect I'm the only one whose negativity towards putting MacVim on
                the MAS stems in part because the MAS is degrading and insulting to
                MacVim. The view that MAS is insulting and degrading to MacVim is an
                odd view to have, since MacVim has no feelings to be hurt and no dignity
                to be trampled. That's why I conjectured that I'm the only weirdo who
                holds it to an appreciable degree.

                So far, no one else has admitted to sharing this funny opinion with me.

                Charles

              • Tony Mechelynck
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 9, 2012
                  On Sep 8, 9:30 pm, Carl Jacobsen <li...@...> wrote:
                  [...]
                  > Are you on this list for any reason other than to make yourself feel
                  > smug?

                  Believe it or not, yes I am. I occasionally answer posts which were
                  made on vim_mac but actually belong on vim_use, and I also help ban
                  the spammers and allow the legitimete new subscribers.

                  > I've used a considerable number of Unix variants and Unix-alikes
                  > (Linux included) starting with the then-new 4.2BSD on a Vax in 1983,
                  > eight years before the earliest version of Linux existed. I choose to
                  > use Mac OS X because I prefer it to all other available choices,
                  > *including Linux*, for a wide variety of reasons (and "looking cool in
                  > coffee shops" is *not* on that list). Linux is a nice Unix-alike, but
                  > has always been missing a *really* good, thorough, *consistent*, GUI.
                  > Mac OS X is a good BSD-variant Unix, with an absolutely fantastic GUI.
                  > To me, and to many others, it's worth jumping through a few hoops
                  > (like buying [fantastic-but-spendy] Mac hardware) to be able to use
                  > Mac OS X. We probably won't be able to sufficiently educate you about
                  > what you're missing out on to change your mind, but, by the same
                  > token, you aren't going to be able to convince us that Linux is
                  > superior to Mac OS X. So please don't try.

                  I suppose we just don't have the same preferences. I don't blame you
                  for preferring the luxury of a Rolls-Royce (and paying for it), please
                  son't snub my VW Beetle.

                  > And back on topic, count me in on being willing to contribute (each
                  > year) towards a membership for Björn in the Mac Developer Program,
                  > should he elect to start signing MacVim (I think it would involve
                  > jumping through some hoops in Xcode initially, but could then be
                  > automated to a simple call to /usr/bin/codesign in the Makefile).
                  >
                  > My apologies for feeding the troll,
                  > Carl

                  Oh, and BTW I don't know what privileges "registered developers"
                  enjoy, maybe that's one of the reasons why it seemed unduly expensive
                  to me to pay USD 99 just for being one.

                  Usually I'm the one recommending not to feed the animals :-P Can't you
                  take humor? Not when it means someone doesn't assume costlier is
                  better, apparently. Oh, well, maybe I'm the one feeding the troll now.
                  I'll shut up.

                  Best regards,
                  Tony.
                  --
                  Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow they may make it illegal.