Re: MacVim and App Store

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 8, 2012
      On Sep 7, 5:02 am, Christopher Stone <listmeis...@...>
      wrote:
      [...]
      > Even if you avoid the app-store there may be some advantages to being a registered developer.  I think the fee is only $99.00 US, and I'm reasonably certain your user-base would be happy to cover that.  I would have no problem kicking in a few bucks.
      >
      > --
      > Best Regards,
      > Chris

      "Only" USD 99.00, just for the privilege of calling oneself a
      "registered developer" (whatever that may be)? Hey, no wonder Apple
      guys have the reputation of being clad in greenbacks and gold. I'll
      stay with Linux, thank you; the freedom is unbeatable, and the quality/
      price ratio is a helluva lot better too, especially once you consider
      the fraction's denominator. :-P

    • Carl Jacobsen
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 8, 2012
        On Sep 8, 2012, at 2:12 AM, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

        > "Only" USD 99.00, just for the privilege of calling oneself a
        > "registered developer" (whatever that may be)? Hey, no wonder Apple
        > guys have the reputation of being clad in greenbacks and gold. I'll
        > stay with Linux, thank you; the freedom is unbeatable, and the quality/
        > price ratio is a helluva lot better too, especially once you consider
        > the fraction's denominator. :-P

        Are you on this list for any reason other than to make yourself feel
        smug?

        I've used a considerable number of Unix variants and Unix-alikes
        (Linux included) starting with the then-new 4.2BSD on a Vax in 1983,
        eight years before the earliest version of Linux existed. I choose to
        use Mac OS X because I prefer it to all other available choices,
        *including Linux*, for a wide variety of reasons (and "looking cool in
        coffee shops" is *not* on that list). Linux is a nice Unix-alike, but
        has always been missing a *really* good, thorough, *consistent*, GUI.
        Mac OS X is a good BSD-variant Unix, with an absolutely fantastic GUI.
        To me, and to many others, it's worth jumping through a few hoops
        (like buying [fantastic-but-spendy] Mac hardware) to be able to use
        Mac OS X. We probably won't be able to sufficiently educate you about
        what you're missing out on to change your mind, but, by the same
        token, you aren't going to be able to convince us that Linux is
        superior to Mac OS X. So please don't try.

        And back on topic, count me in on being willing to contribute (each
        year) towards a membership for Björn in the Mac Developer Program,
        should he elect to start signing MacVim (I think it would involve
        jumping through some hoops in Xcode initially, but could then be
        automated to a simple call to /usr/bin/codesign in the Makefile).

        My apologies for feeding the troll,
        Carl

      • Charles
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 8, 2012
          Carl Jacobsen wrote:
          > On Sep 8, 2012, at 2:12 AM, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          >> "Only" USD 99.00, just for the privilege of calling oneself a
          >> "registered developer" (whatever that may be)? Hey, no wonder Apple
          >> guys have the reputation of being clad in greenbacks and gold. I'll
          >> stay with Linux, thank you; the freedom is unbeatable, and the quality/
          >> price ratio is a helluva lot better too, especially once you consider
          >> the fraction's denominator. :-P
          >
          > Are you on this list for any reason other than to make yourself feel
          > smug?

          [snip]

          > My apologies for feeding the troll,
          > Carl

          It is only out of ignorance that anyone would call Tony
          Mechelynck a troll or otherwise dream of insulting him, or take his
          remaks as smugness. Over on the vim_use list he is the most helpful
          (and nicest) participant, by a comically wide margin. And that list is
          in general nice and helpful. Plus, he even reads the mac list and helps
          out occasionally here too.

          Charles

        • Chip Warden
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 8, 2012
            On Sep 8, 2012, at 5:53 PM, Charles <mvim@...> wrote:

            > Carl Jacobsen wrote:
            >> On Sep 8, 2012, at 2:12 AM, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...>
            >> wrote:
            >>
            >>> "Only" USD 99.00, just for the privilege of calling oneself a
            >>> "registered developer" (whatever that may be)? Hey, no wonder Apple
            >>> guys have the reputation of being clad in greenbacks and gold. I'll
            >>> stay with Linux, thank you; the freedom is unbeatable, and the quality/
            >>> price ratio is a helluva lot better too, especially once you consider
            >>> the fraction's denominator. :-P
            >>
            >> Are you on this list for any reason other than to make yourself feel
            >> smug?
            >
            > [snip]
            >
            >> My apologies for feeding the troll,
            >> Carl
            >
            > It is only out of ignorance that anyone would call Tony
            > Mechelynck a troll or otherwise dream of insulting him, or take his
            > remaks as smugness. Over on the vim_use list he is the most helpful
            > (and nicest) participant, by a comically wide margin. And that list is
            > in general nice and helpful. Plus, he even reads the mac list and helps
            > out occasionally here too.
            >
            > Charles

            Sorry Charles, but in this case Tony's definitely being a troll, and a smug one at that. I felt exactly the same way as Charles, but I take a hard line on *not* feeding trolls. Tony may indeed by a nice guy, but I wouldn't be able to tell that from his original post in this thread.

            Having said that, let's please agree that MacVim on the Mac App Store would be a Terrible Idea ™, and if Bjorn doesn't want to pay $99 for a code signing key from Apple, it's not at all difficult to override Mountain Lion's Gatekeeper settings on a app-by-app basis for MacVim.

            Chip

          • Chip Warden
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 8, 2012
              On Sep 8, 2012, at 6:29 PM, Chip Warden <chip.warden@...> wrote:

              > as Charles

              Apologies, Charles. I felt the same way as *Carl*.

              Chip

            • gmn
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 8, 2012

                There already is such a file. It's in html, and it's here: [https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/wiki/ChangeLog%5d

                Or, the user can just look here: [https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/downloads%5d and see if there's a new snapshot.

                > - if/when user clicks "Check for updates", grab the file.

                A bookmark makes it a one-click affair. So would this:

                nmap <F8> :!open -a Safari https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/wiki/ChangeLog<CR>

                -gmn

              • Charles
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 8, 2012
                  Chip Warden wrote:
                  > Having said that, let's please agree that MacVim on the Mac App Store would
                  > be a Terrible Idea

                  Well, I certainly agree with that. I suspect, however, that I am the only one
                  who thinks it would be terrible in part because it would be degrading and
                  insulting to MacVim to be "approved", neutered, and listed among the other
                  "programs" that live there. The app store is for cartoon programs that let
                  you share your grocery list with the universe, or tell your phone which
                  song is playing in iTunes on your Mac right now.

                  Charles

                • Chip Warden
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 8, 2012
                    On Sep 8, 2012, at 7:04 PM, Charles <mvim@...> wrote:

                    > I suspect, however, that I am the only one
                    > who thinks it would be terrible in part because it would be degrading and
                    > insulting to MacVim to be "approved", neutered, and listed among the other
                    > "programs" that live there.

                    And, of course, you'd be wrong. Making assumptions about what others think is never a good idea.

                    > The app store is for cartoon programs that let
                    > you share your grocery list with the universe, or tell your phone which
                    > song is playing in iTunes on your Mac right now.

                    And again, you'd be wrong. There are lots of good, useful programs on the Mac App Store. Of course, there are many *more* good, useful programs that would never be allowed on the Mac App Store, including MacVim.

                    Wow, I'm violating my own rule about not feeding trolls. Congratulations, Charles, you successfully troll-baited me.

                    Chip

                  • Christopher Stone
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 8, 2012
                      On Sep 08, 2012, at 20:38, Chip Warden <chip.warden@...> wrote:
                      > On Sep 8, 2012, at 7:04 PM, Charles <mvim@...> wrote:
                      >> I suspect, however, that I am the only one who thinks it would be terrible in part because it would be degrading and insulting to MacVim to be "approved", neutered, and listed among the other "programs" that live there.
                      >
                      > And, of course, you'd be wrong. Making assumptions about what others think is never a good idea.

                      Apparently he doesn't read either:

                      On Sep 06, 2012, at 22:02, Christopher Stone <listmeister@...> wrote:
                      > On Sep 06, 2012, at 09:31, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
                      >> I don't think I want to use the App Store. Why?
                      >
                      > Amen.

                      The app-store has some fine software available in addition to the dross, but it's a claustrophobic space ill-suited to developers who are unable or unwilling to put up with Apple's restrictive guidelines.

                      -ccs

                    • mvim@forallx.net
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 8, 2012
                        Chip Warden wrote:
                        > On Sep 8, 2012, at 7:04 PM, Charles <mvim@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > I suspect, however, that I am the only one
                        > > who thinks it would be terrible in part because it would be degrading and
                        > > insulting to MacVim to be "approved", neutered, and listed among the other
                        > > "programs" that live there.

                        > And, of course, you'd be wrong. Making assumptions about what others think is
                        > never a good idea.

                        But I didn't assume. As the text says, I merely suspected. There is nothing
                        wrong with having suspicions about what others think. E.g., I may suspect that the election will be a close one.

                        > Wow, I'm violating my own rule about not feeding trolls. Congratulations,
                        > Charles, you successfully troll-baited me.

                        A troll is someone who wants others to be annoyed and to reply to their
                        postings. This describes neither me nor (I suspect) Tony Mechelynck. Some were annoyed and replied, neither of which was hoped for.

                        Charles

                      • mvim@forallx.net
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 8, 2012
                          > Apparently he doesn't read either:
                          >
                          > >> I don't think I want to use the App Store. Why?
                          > >
                          > > Amen.

                          One who reads would have read that...

                          > I suspect, however, that I am the only one who thinks it would be
                          > terrible in part because it would be degrading and insulting to MacVim
                          > to be "approved", neutered, and listed among the other "programs" that
                          > live there.

                          ...and would not have stopped at "terrible". Such a reader can see that
                          I suspect I'm the only one whose negativity towards putting MacVim on
                          the MAS stems in part because the MAS is degrading and insulting to
                          MacVim. The view that MAS is insulting and degrading to MacVim is an
                          odd view to have, since MacVim has no feelings to be hurt and no dignity
                          to be trampled. That's why I conjectured that I'm the only weirdo who
                          holds it to an appreciable degree.

                          So far, no one else has admitted to sharing this funny opinion with me.

                          Charles

                        • Tony Mechelynck
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 9, 2012
                            On Sep 8, 9:30 pm, Carl Jacobsen <li...@...> wrote:
                            [...]
                            > Are you on this list for any reason other than to make yourself feel
                            > smug?

                            Believe it or not, yes I am. I occasionally answer posts which were
                            made on vim_mac but actually belong on vim_use, and I also help ban
                            the spammers and allow the legitimete new subscribers.

                            > I've used a considerable number of Unix variants and Unix-alikes
                            > (Linux included) starting with the then-new 4.2BSD on a Vax in 1983,
                            > eight years before the earliest version of Linux existed. I choose to
                            > use Mac OS X because I prefer it to all other available choices,
                            > *including Linux*, for a wide variety of reasons (and "looking cool in
                            > coffee shops" is *not* on that list). Linux is a nice Unix-alike, but
                            > has always been missing a *really* good, thorough, *consistent*, GUI.
                            > Mac OS X is a good BSD-variant Unix, with an absolutely fantastic GUI.
                            > To me, and to many others, it's worth jumping through a few hoops
                            > (like buying [fantastic-but-spendy] Mac hardware) to be able to use
                            > Mac OS X. We probably won't be able to sufficiently educate you about
                            > what you're missing out on to change your mind, but, by the same
                            > token, you aren't going to be able to convince us that Linux is
                            > superior to Mac OS X. So please don't try.

                            I suppose we just don't have the same preferences. I don't blame you
                            for preferring the luxury of a Rolls-Royce (and paying for it), please
                            son't snub my VW Beetle.

                            > And back on topic, count me in on being willing to contribute (each
                            > year) towards a membership for Björn in the Mac Developer Program,
                            > should he elect to start signing MacVim (I think it would involve
                            > jumping through some hoops in Xcode initially, but could then be
                            > automated to a simple call to /usr/bin/codesign in the Makefile).
                            >
                            > My apologies for feeding the troll,
                            > Carl

                            Oh, and BTW I don't know what privileges "registered developers"
                            enjoy, maybe that's one of the reasons why it seemed unduly expensive
                            to me to pay USD 99 just for being one.

                            Usually I'm the one recommending not to feed the animals :-P Can't you
                            take humor? Not when it means someone doesn't assume costlier is
                            better, apparently. Oh, well, maybe I'm the one feeding the troll now.
                            I'll shut up.

                            Best regards,
                            Tony.
                            --
                            Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow they may make it illegal.