Re: Core Text renderer vs. underlining

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2012
      On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Carl Jacobsen wrote:
      > I've just switched over to snapshot 65, and turned on the Core Text
      > renderer, and I notice that it handles underlined text differently
      > than the Cocoa renderer -- when underlined text starts on one line
      > and ends on another, the Core Text renderer is underlining the
      > leading white space on the intervening lines, where the Cocoa
      > renderer doesn't.
      >
      > A picture would probably explain better:
      >
      > http://carlrj.com/pics/MacVim_underline_trouble.png
      >
      > I like the way the Cocoa renderer is displaying the text quite a
      > bit more, but I can imagine there being plausible arguments for
      > either way being more correct. Comments?

      The Cocoa renderer does some kind of trickery to control the
      underlining. The way the Core Text renderer underlines is how it
      works on other GUI ports of Vim. It may look uglier but I think I'll
      leave it that way in order to keep things uniform and to avoid
      hackery.

    • Ben Schmidt
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2012
        On 7/09/12 12:35 AM, björn wrote:
        > On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Carl Jacobsen wrote:
        >> I've just switched over to snapshot 65, and turned on the Core Text
        >> renderer, and I notice that it handles underlined text differently
        >> than the Cocoa renderer -- when underlined text starts on one line
        >> and ends on another, the Core Text renderer is underlining the
        >> leading white space on the intervening lines, where the Cocoa
        >> renderer doesn't.
        >>
        >> A picture would probably explain better:
        >>
        >> http://carlrj.com/pics/MacVim_underline_trouble.png
        >>
        >> I like the way the Cocoa renderer is displaying the text quite a
        >> bit more, but I can imagine there being plausible arguments for
        >> either way being more correct. Comments?
        >
        > The Cocoa renderer does some kind of trickery to control the
        > underlining. The way the Core Text renderer underlines is how it
        > works on other GUI ports of Vim. It may look uglier but I think I'll
        > leave it that way in order to keep things uniform and to avoid
        > hackery.

        Yeah, I think that's better.

        If you want fancy non-underlining of spaces, your Vim syntax file, or
        Vim itself, should do it, not MacVim.

        Ben.