Core Text renderer vs. underlining

  • Carl Jacobsen
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2012
      I've just switched over to snapshot 65, and turned on the Core Text
      renderer, and I notice that it handles underlined text differently
      than the Cocoa renderer -- when underlined text starts on one line
      and ends on another, the Core Text renderer is underlining the
      leading white space on the intervening lines, where the Cocoa
      renderer doesn't.

      A picture would probably explain better:

      http://carlrj.com/pics/MacVim_underline_trouble.png

      I like the way the Cocoa renderer is displaying the text quite a
      bit more, but I can imagine there being plausible arguments for
      either way being more correct. Comments?

      Thanks,
      Carl

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 6, 2012
        On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Carl Jacobsen wrote:
        > I've just switched over to snapshot 65, and turned on the Core Text
        > renderer, and I notice that it handles underlined text differently
        > than the Cocoa renderer -- when underlined text starts on one line
        > and ends on another, the Core Text renderer is underlining the
        > leading white space on the intervening lines, where the Cocoa
        > renderer doesn't.
        >
        > A picture would probably explain better:
        >
        > http://carlrj.com/pics/MacVim_underline_trouble.png
        >
        > I like the way the Cocoa renderer is displaying the text quite a
        > bit more, but I can imagine there being plausible arguments for
        > either way being more correct. Comments?

        The Cocoa renderer does some kind of trickery to control the
        underlining. The way the Core Text renderer underlines is how it
        works on other GUI ports of Vim. It may look uglier but I think I'll
        leave it that way in order to keep things uniform and to avoid
        hackery.

      • Ben Schmidt
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 7, 2012
          On 7/09/12 12:35 AM, björn wrote:
          > On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Carl Jacobsen wrote:
          >> I've just switched over to snapshot 65, and turned on the Core Text
          >> renderer, and I notice that it handles underlined text differently
          >> than the Cocoa renderer -- when underlined text starts on one line
          >> and ends on another, the Core Text renderer is underlining the
          >> leading white space on the intervening lines, where the Cocoa
          >> renderer doesn't.
          >>
          >> A picture would probably explain better:
          >>
          >> http://carlrj.com/pics/MacVim_underline_trouble.png
          >>
          >> I like the way the Cocoa renderer is displaying the text quite a
          >> bit more, but I can imagine there being plausible arguments for
          >> either way being more correct. Comments?
          >
          > The Cocoa renderer does some kind of trickery to control the
          > underlining. The way the Core Text renderer underlines is how it
          > works on other GUI ports of Vim. It may look uglier but I think I'll
          > leave it that way in order to keep things uniform and to avoid
          > hackery.

          Yeah, I think that's better.

          If you want fancy non-underlining of spaces, your Vim syntax file, or
          Vim itself, should do it, not MacVim.

          Ben.